Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I will dispute the fact that Boston got better (because that's what I do). I like Zadorov but don't actually think Lindholm will be an upgrade over DeBrusk and the goalie tandem that was so successful is now tainted with the stink of Korpisalo.

Also - I really hate them

Good call on the Korpisalo of it all, but I'll say that Lindholm being an actual center is probably better for them than DeBrusk + having Zacha and Coyle be their top 2 centers.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I will dispute the fact that Boston got better (because that's what I do). I like Zadorov but don't actually think Lindholm will be an upgrade over DeBrusk and the goalie tandem that was so successful is now tainted with the stink of Korpisalo.

Also - I really hate them
Them taking on 4 years of Korpisalo is almost as bad as Pierre Dorion signing him for 5 years in the first place.

$3 million for the next 4 years is way too much for Korpisalo. They could probably throw their AHL goalies out there and get better results, while saving over $2 million in cap space.

What a disaster.

Reactions: BostonDevil

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
That would be Jaakko to you.
IMG_5455.jpeg

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Good call on the Korpisalo of it all, but I'll say that Lindholm being an actual center is probably better for them than DeBrusk + having Zacha and Coyle be their top 2 centers.
Agree that it will be an upgrade positionally but, points-wise, I think it will be a wash. Maybe he does get the Calgary treatment and goes off being on the only line that Boston has.

Still think the team will be worse. They are one Pasta injury from being a, less potent, Islanders

Reactions: None Shall Pass

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
We know the analytics love a lot of our lineup. I think the more traditional media really rates Markstrom and loves players like Dillon and Pesce. They also have a more 1,000 foot view of things so they're not as hyper worried about forward depth and Palat in the top six and whatever else we twist ourselves into knots over. There's a lot of players with good reputations here so they see that and weigh it against the weak goaltending and injuries from last year and just assume things will be better.
Strongly agreed with this. On that note, can someone (maybe @Bleedred) explain why Markstrom is still rated so highly? Seems to have good high danger sv% and was >.905+ on a bad Flames team last year but he’s struggled 2 of the last 3 years and I’m not sure if his low save percentage in the last 1-2 months was age and use related breakdown or the team becoming worse. What are people expecting from his this year? Is VV 22-23 realistic?

Also, completely separate note, which poster used to have the Phil Hartman in jingle all the way as their pic? I can’t remember but deeply appreciated the ref

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Strongly agreed with this. On that note, can someone (maybe @Bleedred) explain why Markstrom is still rated so highly? Seems to have good high danger sv% and was >.905+ on a bad Flames team last year but he’s struggled 2 of the last 3 years and I’m not sure if his low save percentage in the last 1-2 months was age and use related breakdown or the team becoming worse. What are people expecting from his this year? Is VV 22-23 realistic?
He didn’t struggle last year. I know the .905 looks mediocre, but the advanced stats were still strong for him last year even as he swooned a bit down the stretch. Same ballpark as Ullmark and Bob and Binnington on a per game basis, all of whom I think most people would agree were pretty good.

The Flames were just a mess defensively. Then you factor in the rumored but understandable “didn’t want to be there anymore” and I think that’s the argument for him.

I think he can be better than Vitek 2022-23 pretty comfortably and I’m not even a huge believer.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He didn’t struggle last year. I know the .905 looks mediocre, but the advanced stats were still strong for him last year even as he swooned a bit down the stretch. Same ballpark as Ullmark and Bob and Binnington on a per game basis, all of whom I think most people would agree were pretty good.

The Flames were just a mess defensively. Then you factor in the rumored but understandable “didn’t want to be there anymore” and I think that’s the argument for him.

I think he can be better than Vitek 2022-23 pretty comfortably and I’m not even a huge believer.
The Flames were never in as bad of a mess defensively as we were all season.

Even after losing half their defense they we weren't as bad as we were defensively.

It's going to be interesting to see how much Keefe can get out of our forwards defensively... Pesce and Dillon along with Dougie coming back should no doubt make big a difference...but defenders need forward support and I don't think our defense has really ever seen much if any forward support.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Even after losing half their defense they we weren't as bad as we were defensively.

It's going to be interesting to see how much Keefe can get out of our forwards defensively... Pesce and Dillon along with Dougie coming back should no doubt make big a difference...but defenders need forward support and I don't think our defense has really ever seen much if any forward support.
I think adding in Tatar, Noesen, and Cotter will help that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think adding in Tatar, Noesen, and Cotter will help that.
I don't know? Maybe...I personally think it's much more difficult to get directional shifts from bottom 6 players alone. You want to be tougher, faster, more responsible... whatever it is, it has to start at the top in my opinion.

Then again I have no idea how these players will be used...so maybe?

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

Correct, the Flames were a little better than us at preventing chances. But Markstrom had MUCH better results than our goalies.

And we ended up sending away the defenseman with the worst defensive results last year, another guy who dragged down every pair he was on (who has sucked for YEARS), we’re getting back the best possession d-man, we replaced another mediocre guy with a pretty good one. There’s turnover and Keefe will have to navigate that, but I don’t think improved forward defense is the only thing that’s going to drive a markedly improved defense next year.

Ad

Ad

Ad