Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The odds make some sense to me. Out of the East, the Panthers are still the top bet, and are easy favorites of coming out of the Atlantic matchups. Of the contenders/potential contenders remaining, only us and Boston really improved all that much, everyone else stagnated or lost good pieces. The Canes will be tested and still can't score, the Rangers will have to rely on goaltending again, and who else of note is there really in the Metro right now?

The odds are basically saying that we're the favorites coming out of the Metro and Florida out of the Atlantic. I'd definitely agree with the Atlantic and wouldn't be shocked if we came out of the Metro, too.

Reactions: Mgd31

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The East really isn't very good right now...but it really wasn't last year either.

Reactions: Mgd31

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Wait till we go undefeated in the preseason
IMG_7086.gif

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Came home from a trip to OBX for the holiday weekend, now going Upstate tomorrow night. Catching up on this thread has been a journey as always.

Doing my part and adding some positivity and a hot take.

Since the all-star break in 2022 Nico has 183 points in 183 games. 42 on the PP, 5 SH, and 136 5v5 points.

Nemec will be a more valuable player than B. Tkachuk (who would be our 5th best forward anyways) as soon as 25-26.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Came home from a trip to OBX for the holiday weekend, now going Upstate tomorrow night. Catching up on this thread has been a journey as always.

Doing my part and adding some positivity and a hot take.

Since the all-star break in 2022 Nico has 183 points in 183 games. 42 on the PP, 5 SH, and 136 5v5 points.

Nemec will be a more valuable player than B. Tkachuk (who would be our 5th best forward anyways) as soon as 25-26.
Great post. I agree with the bolded, which is why Nemec won’t get moved!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The East really isn't very good right now...but it really wasn't last year either.

The fact that we could still sneak in with the season we had said that. The East bubble was awful last year.

It's probably going to be again this year, only this year we should be safely above it unless something goes really wrong

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
And this is where I go back to my rant about how the draft has been mediocre in the middle to late rounds under Fitz. Hopefully it works out, but I'm not convinced right now
I think out of Gritsyuk, Hameenaho, Squires, Filmon, and Stillman at least one of them becomes a solid third liner - then add the crop we just added this year, next year, plus the remaining options and I think you can maybe pull out a second

Issue is when are they up to speed by (that second group especially)

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If Anderson is available we offer Nemec, Luke Hughes, Mercer and we might have to add Casey. Even then it would be a steal for us. To think a few years ago we could of easily got him for our 2nd OA draft pick and walked away with no additional adds...
Not enough. We beed to retain some salary

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I still think Mercer blossoms into that 30 goal scorer type, who can cause havoc on the forecheck
I'm not even touching any of the Mercer criticism because you couldn't be more right. The dude wasn't used as a player, he was used as a Swiss-army knife at C and RW to benefit other players. He's only 22 and plays with a ton of heart and intelligence. He's already scored 27 goals in an NHL season with zero 1PP time.

Yes, Mercer will bounce back this season. Consistent top 6 minutes on the RW on this Devils team will help. I watched Zack Hyman tear it up all year long and throughout the playoffs for Edmonton and couldn't help but think that Dawson has a lot of Zack in his game. Dawson has 47 goals in the past two years, and at the same age Hyman was playing for the University of Michigan.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Mercer was always heralded for his mentality and motor; if the skill is there, unless theres personal issues hurting him, he should be as sure a bet for a bounce back as you can get
Mercer is from Newfoundland. His biggest personal issue is probably that no one else on the Devils can understand him when he calls his friends and family at home.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
The odds make some sense to me. Out of the East, the Panthers are still the top bet, and are easy favorites of coming out of the Atlantic matchups. Of the contenders/potential contenders remaining, only us and Boston really improved all that much, everyone else stagnated or lost good pieces. The Canes will be tested and still can't score, the Rangers will have to rely on goaltending again, and who else of note is there really in the Metro right now?

The odds are basically saying that we're the favorites coming out of the Metro and Florida out of the Atlantic. I'd definitely agree with the Atlantic and wouldn't be shocked if we came out of the Metro, too.
I will dispute the fact that Boston got better (because that's what I do). I like Zadorov but don't actually think Lindholm will be an upgrade over DeBrusk and the goalie tandem that was so successful is now tainted with the stink of Korpisalo.

Also - I really hate them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad