Maybe Tavares is the problem

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This is a great summation of where they are and how they put themselves in tough position.

The money the get from Tavares’ gets eaten up by current players ( Knies etc) or they create more holes.

If they don’t get anything for Marner and rely on Nylander and Matthews, I think the window never opens
Cap space for Marner might be the best option. At least we won't have to take back a bad contract or retain.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
A 3C? :laugh:

How is it this fanbase has so many people like this?

Yes, 3C's are normally top 40 in scoring for their position, positive 5v5 and nearly 60% in faceoffs.

Yes, he's declined from being a 1C, to a 2C, and is now overpaid... but a 3C? I think people need to pay attention to other teams, and what they have, because this regular take by many posters is beyond ridiculous.

You want Tavares gone, because you want a culture change... that's cool.
You hate his contract, because he's now overpaid.... that's cool
You claim he's a 3C.... Now, that's just silly and completely devoid of objectivity.

Tavares isn't getting traded... we all know that's not happening, so this fantasy stuff is also devoid of intellect.

..and if Tavares doesn't re-sign (hopefully for a reasonable amount $4 mil for example).... who is replacing him, and how are you getting that superior 2C....

By the way, go ahead, name that superior 2C, and how we are getting them... in fact, don't even try to counter this post, until you can name a superior 2C that we can afford on the cap, can obtain, and how we are going to do so.
Tavares is producing average second line numbers despite playing with a better than average top line player (according to stats you posted).

The post you quoted didn't say anything about trading him, and I don't think anyone really expects that. Signing him for $3-4 for a couple of years at 3C, and letting Nylander slot in at 2C, would probably be the best situation.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
being carried by 90 plus point wingers doesn't make you a 2nd line C , hopefully this is the last season i have to listen to people fluffing JT , this board has been making excuses for Tavares since literally his second season here and it's beyond tiring

yup trading Tavares is impossible yet trading Marner with the same nmc is easy peasey
I’m hoping he signs a team friendly retirement contract… just so I can continue being entertained with your constant whining.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I’m hoping he signs a team friendly retirement contract… just so I can continue being entertained with your constant whining.

There is a team friendly contract and then there is the Leafs team-friendly contract. No number is big enough for Leafs nation, here we can call any overpayment team friendly or market at worse (remember, it's market value, RFA market just has to catch up).

:DD:DD:DD

Once the league catches up with Leafs, we'll be just fine.

Reactions: hamzarocks

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
At this point Willy is the better player.

What Nylander did in Sweden was a higher display of superstardom than Marner has ever achieved.

Marner cannot tip the scales in a game like Nylander can and has for us.
A few fans here certainly feel that way but I doubt very much that's the accepted view around the league.

In what most consider a bad year for Marner he had better stats than Nylander while being a better defensive player.

Nylander was good in Sweden though.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
A few fans here certainly feel that way but I doubt very much that's the accepted view around the league.

In what most consider a bad year for Marner he had better stats than Nylander while being a better defensive player.

Willy had 50% more goals.

Mitch had 1 more assist, playing with a centre who had more than twice as many goals as Willy's.

Willy had more ES goals and points, more PP goals and points, more shorthanded goals and points, more overtime goals, and more GWGs.

Mitch, playing with a centre who is much better defensively, had a better +/- (which is frequently called the most useless stat). He had a marginally better ppg, and a higher p/60 5v5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Last 5 years - Beginning of Prime Years for 3

Regular SeasonGamesGoalsAssistPointsPoints GPGoals GPAssists GP
Auston Matthews
350​
257​
187​
444​
1.269​
0.734​
0.534​
Mitch Marner
335​
127​
288​
415​
1.239​
0.379​
0.860​
William Nylander
364​
162​
204​
366​
1.005​
0.445​
0.560​
John Tavares
358​
137​
194​
331​
0.925​
0.383​
0.542​
PlayoffsGamesGoalsAssistsPointsPoints GPGoals GPAssists GP
Auston Matthews
35​
13​
22​
35​
1.000​
0.371​
0.629​
William Nylander
34​
17​
15​
32​
0.941​
0.500​
0.441​
Mitch Marner
37​
6​
27​
33​
0.892​
0.162​
0.730​
John Tavares
31​
10​
9​
19​
0.613​
0.323​
0.290​

Bust

Jul 28, 2016

Nylander reached higher peaks this season than Marner ever has here. Points aside.

I don’t really care what is accepted around the league, Nylander brings much more fight than Marner does for the Toronto maple leafs. That’s all that should matter.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander reached higher peaks this season than Marner ever has here. Points aside.

I don’t really care what is accepted around the league, Nylander brings much more fight than Marner does for the Toronto maple leafs. That’s all that should matter.
You’re welcome to your opinion. It’s certainly unique

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1721853218351.png

Bust

Jul 28, 2016

Did you watch the playoffs when the games mattered? Nylander out preforms Marner when the pressure is on.

Marner is great at 2-4 point games during the regular season, on a Tuesday night against Chicago or minny. Nylander should be the go-to when the game actually matters.

And what’s your opinion on Marner vs Nylander?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I know it's not easy for a family member who's used to having Johnny never being held accountable for his play while his teammates get chucked under a bus to deflect criticism away from him but unfortunately we're not all his relatives .

but i have to know what a close relative like you believes is a team friendly contract (cap hit and term)

Last edited:
Reactions: hamzarocks

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I know it's not easy for a family member who's used to having Johnny never being held accountable for his play while his teammates get chucked under a bus to deflect criticism away from him but unfortunately we're not all a relative .

but i have to know what a close relative like you believes is a team friendly contract (cap hit and term)
Cap… I hope it’s low to help the Leafs.
Term… I hope it’s long to help fuel your whining.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Cap… I hope it’s low to help the Leafs.
Term… I hope it’s long to help fuel your whining.
can't give a number or term so basically if they re-sign him regardless of term/price you'll be on here saying he gave a team friendly deal and whining how everyone's being a meanie to poor Johnny as your trying to spin another overpayment as a discount

Last edited:

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Let JT go to UFA. We'll pay first for him next year for more leadership here.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
For D? Probably missing a top 4 RD (ha!)

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-X
OEL-Hakanpaa
Benoit

I just used Suziki as an example of a good 2C playmaking centre making a decent 6-7ish million. We're going to need centres in the very near future, after this year under contract we have...

Matthews
X
X
Kampf (overpaid 4C)

Quillan and Minten in the system but who knows if they're ready.
We ideally would have McCabe P3 as I dont think hes reliable to be 2LHD consistently and doesmt have enough puck moving abilites vs strong forechecks (he f***ed u] badly in game 7 Boston goal 1 by oversktating/tripping on boards along with samsonsieve)

Ekholm or Hampus Lindholm at the 2LHd would have been the dream add along with a offensive PMD at 2RHD.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

nylander did come higher for all nhl team voting for RW coming 6th vs 7th for marner (hyman being ahead of both is a joke, and reinhart probably should have been behind both as well)

Marner does have 5 years of superior play then Nylander so hes still the better player entering this year.

Nylander though is at the pt where 98 pts and 3 pts in 4 playoff games will be viewed as a huge failure just like they were for marner in 2020 (93 pt pace, 4 in 5) 2021 (100 pt pace and 4 in 7)

His fans better be ready for him to face the pressure if he doesnt bring it 9 out of 10 games in the reg seasin and be expected to bring 100% of the time come playoffs like 16 and 34 are (they bring it a lot less than that but expectations are crazy high)

Nylander has lost the "but he tried and generated" card that he had at 7M.

Reactions: ACC1224

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
For those who continue to question playoff Matthews:

1722039155259.png

Probably higher than its ever been too... playing with Domi and Bert

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Not unique at all. He does bring much more fight than Marner. Marner is mentally weak and plays his worst hockey as the stage gets brighter. Willy steps up when we need him while Mitch gets scared and folds.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
For those who continue to question playoff Matthews:

View attachment 897309

Probably higher than its ever been too... playing with Domi and Bert
Pretty good I guess, but he's no Evan Bouchard.

Matty is Matty in the playoffs. When he's on and focused he can play the tournament just fine. When he's off and the mojo dissappears he underproduces, and at times that's the difference in a game.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Pretty good I guess, but he's no Evan Bouchard.

Matty is Matty in the playoffs. When he's on and focused he can play the tournament just fine. When he's off and the mojo dissappears he underproduces, and at times that's the difference in a game.
1722097889994.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad