Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Am I the only one who saw the important part about Mercer?

Direct quote from the article: No. 2 center on a top team.
The talent is there, but it’s an interesting comment for a guy who struggled at 3C for multiple seasons.

However, it is worth wondering if Mercer would look better at C on a team structured differently than the Devils. If Mercer was able to slot in at 2C with Bratt and Tatar on his wings, maybe he finds it much easier to be effective. Instead, he’s having to be the offensive force between some middle-6 veterans going 70% speed for most of the regular season.

Reactions: My3Sons

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019

Not that it applies to me since I'm not in the NY/NJ area.
Most likely going to screw this up somehow. That price for me when there’s only one team I care to watch is not worth it. If they do individual team packages I would consider it, but MSG+ is such a crap product and unreliable, I’m not holding my breath this will be any better.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Devils are 8th, meh.

He still doesn’t like Nemec that much, even though he was our best defenseman at barely 20 years old. I guess we’ll see how that pans out.

I see it differently. Silayev is listed in the All-Star tier so that assumes his offensive game develops well - the only weak part of his game.

He's just extremely high on Silayev.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I see it differently. Silayev is listed in the All-Star tier so that assumes his offensive game develops well - the only weak part of his game.

He's just extremely high on Silayev.

Whatever he said about Silayev he called Nemec a bubble middle of the lineup to high end player. He’s basically saying he’s projected to be a low #2 to high end #3 defenseman.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Echoing what others have said about Nemec. I am very excited about Nemec but he doesn’t jump off the page with physical tools so I think he’s a guy you appreciate more and more as you see him.

This is a big compliment, even though some may see it as insulting, but I’m hoping Nemec ends up as a rich man’s Andy Greene. Greene was also a guy that didn’t get enough appreciation over the course of his career due to lacking outstanding physicality but at his peak was great 5 on 5 and good on the PP and PK; all while doing it so quietly that many fans outside of NJ never noticed.

Along the same lines of underrated Devils defensemen of yore: I'd be pretty happy with it if Nemec turned into a Paul Martin clone.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Whatever he said about Silayev he called Nemec a bubble middle of the lineup to high end player. He’s basically saying he’s projected to be a low #2 to high end #3 defenseman.
Yeah, I can’t see that. Nemec is a legit potential #1 D-man. He’s just not as flashy. Very steady but in a good way. I see a lot of Heiskanen to his game.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Changing the current subject for a PuckPedia roster listing.

PP has the Devils with 13 forwards. Although still unsigned, Mercer is rightfully 1 of the 13.

The surprise listing in the 13 is Max Willman.
Missing, most notably, is Nolan Foote. Foote is listed as non-roster forward, in other words, a Utica Comet. I see these 2 swapping spaces. Willman will be in Utcia. Foote will not until he proves without a doubt that he can't play with the Devs. Both would have to clear waivers.

MacDermid is also listed as a forward.

The D has 7 guys listed. DeSimone and Hatakka are both listed as non-roster players, Comets. Both would have to clear waivers.

With 2 keepers the Devils have 22 roster players, 1 below the required number.

No matter who you place where the Devils have roster space for 1 more.

Will they keep DeSimone and carry 8 D or is there another player in mind once the finances are clear with a Mercer contract? Seems to me it's getting late to just pick up someone still unsigned. Do you think a trade is coming and if so, who for whom?

Reactions: My3Sons

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Changing the current subject for a PuckPedia roster listing.

PP has the Devils with 13 forwards. Although still unsigned, Mercer is rightfully 1 of the 13.

The surprise listing in the 13 is Max Willman.
Missing, most notably, is Nolan Foote. Foote is listed as non-roster forward, in other words, a Utica Comet. I see these 2 swapping spaces. Willman will be in Utcia. Foote will not until he proves without a doubt that he can't play with the Devs. Both would have to clear waivers.

MacDermid is also listed as a forward.

The D has 7 guys listed. DeSimone and Hatakka are both listed as non-roster players, Comets. Both would have to clear waivers.

With 2 keepers the Devils have 22 roster players, 1 below the required number.

No matter who you place where the Devils have roster space for 1 more.

Will they keep DeSimone and carry 8 D or is there another player in mind once the finances are clear with a Mercer contract? Seems to me it's getting late to just pick up someone still unsigned. Do you think a trade is coming and if so, who for whom?
I think the 13 doesn't include Mercer. I agree that WIllman and Foote likely swap, but that's your 14 forwards. (Foote, MacDermid being the extras)

The 7 D seems correct. Kovacevic is definitely making the team. Maybe they go 8 D and keep Hatakka? It's extremely unlikely they keep DeSimone and have 5 RD.

Barring injury, Hatakka vs Foote seems like the only real roster battle. The rest are just moving the chairs around (e.g., does Haula slot on Jack's wing or 3C? What are the D pairs?).

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
$42/month is absurd lol

thankfully I am out of market, and get all the NHL games on the Hulu/ESPN+ package
It's for in-market cord cutting Yankees and Knicks fans who don't want to watch anything else on cable (and don't want to pirate).

It's the Innovators' Dilemma. MSG and YES know they need to figure out streaming, but they can't price in a way that would upset their cable subscription revenue (also Fubo). If the teams start going direct to consumer (see the Ducks in SoCal), the RSNs are screwed. The Yankees owning part of YES and the Dolan's owning MSG will help in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad