Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Pronman has us in the top 8 of his NHL pipeline rankings. Makes sense as he does straight U-22 so Luke and Simon still count, and we added Silayev. Still pretty cool to be ranked so high after Bratt, Hischier, and Jack have aged out.

Edit: also, the Rangers are only 15th. They have essentially nothing after Laf and Perreault
Mercer’s gonna be part of the poll too, and i’m actually curious to see how Nemec, Luke, Silayev, Mercer, and Casey pan out. Considering Pronman’s proclivities, i think it’s POSSIBLE that Mercer is the lowest ranked out of those 5. Excited to see how many comments he gets after saying Mercer has poor skating for the 7th year in a row.

Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Mercer’s gonna be part of the poll too, and i’m actually curious to see how Nemec, Luke, Silayev, Mercer, and Casey pan out. Considering Pronman’s proclivities, i think it’s POSSIBLE that Mercer is the lowest ranked out of those 5. Excited to see how many comments he gets after saying Mercer has poor skating for the 7th year in a row.

Yes, I meant to mention Mercer too. I was reading the comments in some of the other organization rankings and anytime he has someone as below average skating people explode at him in the comments. Haha.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Even that year, with all the success, the Devils looked their best when plays were broken, both teams were playing pond hockey,and their athleticism/instincts dictated play.

When it was structure vs structure the Devils still struggled. The defense had trouble recovering pucks and covering the front of the net; opponents staying patient was a problem for the devils even with things going well.
Ruff was always horrific tactically, both in terms of his own systems and gameplanning against the opposition. I maintained this throughout 2022-23, even as they won games. We saw how poor his coaching was in the playoffs.

They won in spite of his systems, and I agree, they looked best when systems broke down and the natural talent took over.

I'm not sure if Keefe's default instincts are the best fit for the club, but there is no question he is 1000% better tactically than Ruff.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Some Marty recognition!

My only nitpick with this list is that Lundqvist should be a little higher, Fleury should be a little lower.

But Fleury probably gets more points because he has cups, and Lundqvist does not. As well as the fact that he had a longer career in the NHL. He debuted one season before Lundqvist and will play at least 5 years after him.

Reactions: mdj12784

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018

Shared in the Utica thread, but wanted to make sure as many people got to see this. Looks pretty cool that the AHL team did something like this.
I watched it tonight. It was shorter than I was hoping it would be (like 15 mins tops). It gave some good behind the scenes stuff with Utica's goaltending coach worming with Daws. Also did a good in depth history of Daws'career from when he first started to playing to him getting drafted by the Devils.

All in all I think most of you would enjoy it and should check it out.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Devils are 8th, meh.

He still doesn’t like Nemec that much, even though he was our best defenseman at barely 20 years old. I guess we’ll see how that pans out.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Devils are 8th, meh.

He still doesn’t like Nemec that much, even though he was our best defenseman at barely 20 years old. I guess we’ll see how that pans out.

Nemec has no standout plus skills. If he is to be a top-pairing defenseman, it will have to be with a superior understanding of the game - one which I think he has the capability for, but that's the hardest thing to predict. It's one where I'm sure someone like Pronman has stuck his neck out before and been wrong.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Yeah, Nemec rarely flashes, his game is far more steady and nuanced. Guys like that can look like Nick Lidstrom at lower levels and then end up being Mark Fayne in the pros. Suddenly they've played 300 games and you're wondering why on Earth they were drafted so high.

I think Nemec had a really good first year all things considering, he rarely got blown up and was pretty on-schedule in both zones. I think a bit more structure and RHD will help him significantly. His maturity and mental game is great, he just needs reps.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Echoing what others have said about Nemec. I am very excited about Nemec but he doesn’t jump off the page with physical tools so I think he’s a guy you appreciate more and more as you see him.

This is a big compliment, even though some may see it as insulting, but I’m hoping Nemec ends up as a rich man’s Andy Greene. Greene was also a guy that didn’t get enough appreciation over the course of his career due to lacking outstanding physicality but at his peak was great 5 on 5 and good on the PP and PK; all while doing it so quietly that many fans outside of NJ never noticed.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
WE DID IT, JOE

IMG_7029.jpeg

Reactions: Blackjack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events