Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I do think celebrating a great individual season against the backdrop of this season has a bit of an empty feeling.

I'm happy for Bratt he's been so good for us for a long time now and I doubly like that he performed after signing a big contract. He deserves tons of credit.

But it's really hard to be overly excited about anything that happened this year.

I'm glad Bratt had a good season. It's better than him having a bad season, especially because that would be accompanied by criticism for "not living up to his contract". I'd like to think we can expect this consistency in production through his prime years, so this is a good sign.

But I'm with you, I'd much rather that Bratt has a good season as a core piece of a winning team.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I could not give a single shit about individual accolades.

Outside of my teenage years and hoping Elias would break 100, I never really did.

I want wins.
IMG_8284.gif

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
The injury thing is kind of 2 sided imo.

Like, sure, you can train and put yourself in a position to not get hit as much, etc.

Nico got concussed on a headshot against Buffalo. How do you prevent that?

Jack tripped on Binnington’s skate going full speed and went in the boards at full force. I mean, I guess you could avoid that, but going into the boards like that your chances of injury are extremely likely imo.

Jacks last two injury situation this season were bad luck. The trip on the goalie, the rando-twist that he got himself into. Definitely agree.

But before that:
Jack's shoulder injury (the first one a few seasons ago) was him getting overpowered in the corner by a bigger fella, and he fell the wrong way.
And then i think last season, his shoulder situation got aggravated in another hard hit in a corner, too, somewhat similar but with less extreme outcome.

The latter two references, is the stuff he can help to prevent by
a) getting damn stronger (as he should and as everyone else around him is, both his teammates and his opponents). I mean he is in the NHL and if he expects to not have a good off-ice season workout/strengthening, he will not last the long haul. Most of the players take that pretty seriously, and he is one who definitely needs to.
b) be aware to position himself a bit better to absorb the hits so he doesn't get "pounded" into the boards in a specific way.

obviously he was taking option c this season because he was already toast and needed surgery, but that shouldn't be the default option in most scenarios
c) avoid/disengage

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Jacks last two injury situation this season were bad luck. The trip on the goalie, the rando-twist that he got himself into. Definitely agree.

But before that:
Jack's shoulder injury (the first one a few seasons ago) was him getting overpowered in the corner by a bigger fella, and he fell the wrong way.
And then i think last season, his shoulder situation got aggravated in another hard hit in a corner, too, somewhat similar but with less extreme outcome.

The latter two references, is the stuff he can help to prevent by
a) getting damn stronger (as he should and as everyone else around him is, both his teammates and his opponents). I mean he is in the NHL and if he expects to not have a good off-ice season workout/strengthening, he will not last the long haul. Most of the players take that pretty seriously, and he is one who definitely needs to.
b) be aware to position himself a bit better to absorb the hits so he doesn't get "pounded" into the boards in a specific way.

obviously he was taking option c this season because he was already toast and needed surgery, but that shouldn't be the default option in most scenarios
c) avoid/disengage
The surgery should help and make the shoulder more solid, which it probably hasn’t been after the 1st injury.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Bratt is the type of player who just keeps improving in small increments every season.

I think there is still better seasons ahead for him. Great player. He is also built like a bull. Marty St Louis vibes

Reactions: My3Sons

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
It was painfully obvious Jack was ragging the puck too much this season and underutilizing his teammates. By holding the puck too long, especially on the powerplay, he'd eliminate his own passing options and you could see players checkout on shifts while he puck hogged around the rink playing pond hockey.

The smallest of small sample sizes, but if the powerplay rips in the few games without him, it's an indictment on his play and lack of growth this season. Injury be damned. That has nothing to do with holding the puck for an eternity and not using your teammates. Or waiting 10 years to play them in a now vulnerable position.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Bratt is the type of player who just keeps improving in small increments every season.

I think there is still better seasons ahead for him. Great player. He is also built like a bull. Marty St Louis vibes

He is only built like a bull because he spent the last number of off seasons getting there. He didn't come into the league built how he looks now. (Bratt)

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It was painfully obvious Jack was ragging the puck too much this season and underutilizing his teammates. By holding the puck too long, especially on the powerplay, he'd eliminate his own passing options and you could see players checkout on shifts while he puck hogged around the rink playing pond hockey.

The smallest of small sample sizes, but if the powerplay rips in the few games without him, it's an indictment on his play and lack of growth this season. Injury be damned. That has nothing to do with holding the puck for an eternity and not using your teammates. Or waiting 10 years to play them in a now vulnerable position.

Now for the disclaimer I always have to put so golden boy fan club doesn't go nuts, I'm not saying he sucks and/or can't round out his game. Heck, I said early in the season he was the only one carrying this team and they were screwed if he came back down to earth. So not hating on the player, but with grandpa gone, hopefully the next coach can help him develop a more complete game.

The power play is awful without Jack. It was not good last night - it scored 3 goals because Samsonov couldn't stop a beach ball. They generated 4 shots in 4:30 and 3 of them went in, two of which were pretty bad goals and one of which was a fluke off a faceoff.

The power play was also awful with him for the last two months because there wasn't enough support/ability to work plays from down low and Jack and Luke couldn't handle pressure up top, and Jack couldn't shoot. Jack moving all over the ice can make for a good power play, but the other players have to be able to anticipate what he's doing and adjust.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Now for the disclaimer I always have to put so golden boy fan club doesn't go nuts, I'm not saying he sucks and/or can't round out his game. Heck, I said early in the season he was the only one carrying this team and they were screwed if he came back down to earth. So not hating on the player, but with grandpa gone, hopefully the next coach can help him develop a more complete game.
He needed to hold on to the puck for as long as he did to wait for Toffoli to lug his ass up ice and get into position to shoot.

Screenshot_20240412-132850_1.png

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I do think celebrating a great individual season against the backdrop of this season has a bit of an empty feeling.

I'm happy for Bratt he's been so good for us for a long time now and I doubly like that he performed after signing a big contract. He deserves tons of credit.

But it's really hard to be overly excited about anything that happened this year.

Just because the team results weren't there does not mean there was not a lot of positives.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Biggest lesson of this year has to be not taking any team lightly, getting high on your own supply and thinking you run the league after 1 good year and can take sections of games of and still win. Also not giving up a year would be the next one, Pens and Isles coming from behind us and taking both spots is really bad optics but the bright spot is that Travis Green won't be the coach long term. Would've 100% gotten the job if they squeaked in
Jeeze this is maybe my biggest Lindy Ruff complaint from this season because this was a MAJOR talking point in camp and preseason. Coaching staff AND players were always quick to bring up that there was gonna be a target on their back this year, and they weren’t gonna be surprising teams anymore etc etc.

And yet when it was clear after like 6 games that teams were playing the Devils differently and neutralizing their rush offense, there was NO CHANGE in the game plan until the season was tanked.

There needed to be a focus on game plans and preparation this year, especially since cold starts were an issue for most of last season, and yet it seemed like the opposite happened. I really hope we get a full house-cleaning this summer because anyone who had a hand this disaster of a year needs to be kicked out in no uncertain terms.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Lmao this is hilarious.

That’s one of their best promo ideas in the last couple years and I’m not a huge bobble head fan and certainly don’t NEED a clock lol

Of course the whole first nine thousand fans codicil to get people in early is doubly stupid for a meaningless game, especially when you want people at your little fan fest outside

Reactions: Better Call Sal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad