Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I think it will take more than a few days but I don’t see why Fitz would speak until they’ve completed their internal discussions on the coaching staff.

Too many answers would just be “we are discussing internally”.

Or maybe they just don’t mind a boring exit interview but in that case Fitz could talk today.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The tweet did not include the rest of that statement :

I've been apart of it for five years now, a team not really succeeding and an organization not really succeeding and I want to be a change in that. I want to be a part of the team that brought this team back to be a championship team."
Yeah, let's trade this guy for Tkachuk because he's an all-flash and no heart player.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Doesn’t sound like he said. Just said that’s what they tried to do
Either way is bad.

Either they think they changed and it failed or they tried to change and it failed.

The worst, and I worry is the reality, they think they changed and they executed as well as you could ask.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I think Ruff's gonna get another year. There's no fundamental differences re: tactics as far as we know, development of key guys has been stellar, goaltending is an obvious excuse for losses, Hughes likes him, and he can be a human shield for Fitz if next year goes bad.

Reactions: mdj12784

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Looks like they won't be making all the players available for the media after all like they did last year.

Monday's players available include Yegor Sharangovich, Dawson Mercer, Pavel Zacha, Jesper Bratt, and Jesper Boqvist. Coach Ruff is expected to speak at 1 p.m. ET.

I get the fourth liners and the G, but no Johnsson or Smith?

Smith gave his interview yesterday.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think Ruff's gonna get another year. There's no fundamental differences re: tactics as far as we know, development of key guys has been stellar, goaltending is an obvious excuse for losses, Hughes likes him, and he can be a human shield for Fitz if next year goes bad.
I don’t know if Ruff would work as a human shield in this particular scenario.

I’m guessing the owners will be particularly on the lookout for a GM sticking with a coach too long after watching Shero. If Fitz sticks with Ruff then I think they’re riding in the same boat next year; unless the owners fully endorse Ruff coming back as well.

chipp8822

May 2, 2022
lastly: it should be asked, what is the future of media for this team? anyone have any idea? did anyone really cover last 2 days?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yes, this is saying “we have to do better”. It’s not some stinging condemnation of the entire team. The former is the right thing to say and the latter is bitchy thing some people weirdly want.

The team did become messier as the losing set in and the endless parade of ineffectual goalies got longer, but that will happen with a lot of losing and seven goalies (five of whom you never played with before).

Losing begats more losing, it a tough cycle to break, it doesn’t mean the players don’t care. Part of the reason you go younger is older players are more likely to simply mentally check out in situations like that. Young guys are excited for the opportunities while vets are too old for this shit.

Frustration as they work to get better is good, but hopeless apathy is a real threat, and that comes after misery. So no, I don’t want miserable players.

I believe in team culture, but that’s something you have to grow, helped along with some smart additions. I don’t know a lot of winning clubs where people complain about the culture and losing ones where they don’t though.

I wanted veteran defensive forward help in the off-season, before the PTO season, in hopes of avoiding the defensive mess that our bottom six was from the start. In the end we did get more looks at young guys (more so after everything fell apart, so I still don’t see what the plan was) and I don’t know if we were helped by the filler (Gauthier, Geertsen, AHL tweener call-ups) that happened earlier on.

We could have used the depth on both ends, Utica was pretty thin, so Fitz not getting anyone to replace the many forwards lost (including vets) seemed like a mistake at the time. I’m curious what he does this off-season.

The team can cull from the herd at this point if additions are made. I generally have more faith in the staff knowing who is a good locker-room culture guy than fans, who tend simply favor “guys who are producing” and “guys who’s facial expressions/body language and interview clips are interpreted as representative of ‘the right vibe’ according to me”.

Nico failed the latter test for a numerous people early on as a Captain this season, in part probably because he was also seen as failing the former one by them. I thought it was dumb then, the kid was an obvious gamer, stuck out as leader pretty early on, and got the C for a reason, but people love to bitch about that magic letter (and facial expressions apparently).

People want to win and want good locker room culture, but if the latter requires sacrifices they don’t want to make, well, they aren’t always so into it. The people interested in Evander Kane better not have anything to say about wanting a good locker-room culture guys since I don’t know a player whom I recently heard so many specific negative stories about their bad locker-room influences (and no, a love of museums doesn’t count). But the Oilers are winning with him, so who cares, right?

Interesting that messier and Messier are the exact same spelling. The Vancouver Canucks fan base will tell you that the acquisition of Mark Messier made their franchise a lot Messier when he had been brought in by management to help right a sinking ship and his contributions on the ice and in the locker room sunk the ship. LOL

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
lastly: it should be asked, what is the future of media for this team? anyone have any idea? did anyone really cover last 2 days?
It may actually be a little complicated to answer.

The team gave very good coverage of the last 2 days.

Traditional and paid media gave very little/no coverage.

Online journalists gave good and thorough coverage.

————-

So depending on how you want your media shapes how you thought coverage went, imo.

I think this is probably true moving forward with team media coverage as well

Reactions: Guttersniped

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think Fitz and company wait until the know how the off-season goes and if they are able to bid rid of the deadweight and add who they want.
If the plan was for Fitz to develop the kids , and they go into next season with the majority of the roster being kids , then maybe they keep him for next year to continue on what he was brought in to do.
However , if they are able to shed the scrubs and add veterans or other players im to construct a roster closer to what they think is constructed better amd constructed to win , then maybe a different coach and coaching style / system is needed.
Just my two cents on the coaching subject. I can see the decision taking longer than normal if this is the case .

At the very very very least , Recchi has to go. He has been terrible at his job for years . His job isn’t influenced by shit goaltending. Shit goalies has nothing to do with him at all so that is no excuse to give him yet another season of failure.

chipp8822

May 2, 2022
It may actually be a little complicated to answer.

The team gave very good coverage of the last 2 days.

Traditional and paid media gave very little/no coverage.

Online journalists gave good and thorough coverage.

————-

So depending on how you want your media shapes how you thought coverage went, imo.
who from the online though are that trustworthy ? isn't that a slippery slope? not being combative more than really wondering how to judge newsworthy / trustworthy reporting on places like twitter??

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
who from the online though are that trustworthy ? isn't that a slippery slope? not being combative more than really wondering how to judge newsworthy / trustworthy reporting on places like twitter??
The people with press credentials have been no more or less trustworthy than TG or Chere were, imo. They don’t really have inside sources, or at least not many, so they don’t do a lot of rumor mongering.

These would be many of the people in the last few pages who were able to attend/view media day. Different than random bloggers.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yeah, let's trade this guy for Tkachuk because he's an all-flash and no heart player.
Who wants to trade Bratt for Tkachuk? Yes Tkachuk woild be amazing to add but not for Bratt. Bratt is going to be our Gaudreau. I see him as Johnny lite already and is still young and improving .

Reactions: glenwo2

chipp8822

May 2, 2022
The people with press credentials have been no more or less trustworthy than TG or Chere were, imo. They don’t really have inside sources, or at least not many, so they don’t do a lot of rumor mongering.

These would be many of the people in the last few pages who were able to attend/view media day. Different than random bloggers.
who are your recommendations / must follows on twitter at this point? big off szn to come

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
who are your recommendations / must follows on twitter at this point? big off szn to come
Well for people who will pass along what the organization is doing and won’t be making stuff up:

Neal McHale
Dan Rice
Ben Birnell for Utica
Mike Morreale writes for NHL.com
Follow the tv/radio guys like Cangi and Loughlin
The Devils PR people like Stein, Bogart, and Kasan

I’m sure that’s not an exhaustive list but you won’t have to deal with people making up stuff from that list.

Then there are interesting bloggers if you want to read people speculating outside of the Devils PR sphere.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I think these are good questions.

Fans aren't showing up, there's no media coverage. If it weren't for the MSG contract, I'd be concerned about the future of this franchise.

AFAIK, the MSG contract is up in 2024.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I like what Ruff has done for Bratt Hughes Mercer etc. I am not sure how those guys would have progressed under a different coach usig a different style of coaching and treating his players.

I think Ruff has been “fine” in other regards. I don’t think Scotty Bowman woild have don’t that much better with what we had to work with.
I would be “ok” (but somewhat disappointed ) if they decide to keep Ruff . If they build a better roster , add a goalie or two (if Blackwood is traded) , and add a a few veterans to build a more well rounded roster , I think Ruff could be an average coach while still helping the kids develop.

However, if Recchi is kept on… I will be livid. No way in hell can you keep him on the staff. He has epically failed for almost three seasons now. He has no excuses like Ruff has where the PP had nothing to do with goaltending or injuries. Yes we had Hughes and Nico and Hamilton hurt for periods of time , but that is what every team has to go through and by no means should that be used as a reason to let Recchi continue to fail on the PP. The PP is probably our second biggest need to fix right behind goaltending and no way should he be in charge of that still. He has proven that he simply doesn’t have what it takes.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I like what Ruff has done for Bratt Hughes Mercer etc. I am not sure how those guys would have progressed under a different coach usig a different style of coaching and treating his players.

I think Ruff has been “fine” in other regards. I don’t think Scotty Bowman woild have don’t that much better with what we had to work with.
I would be “ok” (but somewhat disappointed ) if they decide to keep Ruff . If they build a better roster , add a goalie or two (if Blackwood is traded) , and add a a few veterans to build a more well rounded roster , I think Ruff could be an average coach while still helping the kids develop.

However, if Recchi is kept on… I will be livid. No way in hell can you keep him on the staff. He has epically failed for almost three seasons now. He has no excuses like Ruff has where the PP had nothing to do with goaltending or injuries. Yes we had Hughes and Nico and Hamilton hurt for periods of time , but that is what every team has to go through and by no means should that be used as a reason to let Recchi continue to fail on the PP. The PP is probably our second biggest need to fix right behind goaltending and no way should he be in charge of that still. He has proven that he simply doesn’t have what it takes.
Should Ruff, the head coach, have stepped in and done something about the PP?

Ruff is ultimately in charge of all the coaching. He doesn’t get to shift all the blame to Recchi for the PP.

The coaches have discussed all the systems are collaborative but then someone is ultimately in charge. At some point Ruff should have taken more control over the PP or Ruff, by his actions, was giving his approval to what the PP was doing, imo.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So I thought that Zacha had a bit of an uptick at the end of the season so I looked quickly at the team player stats. One thing that stood out was that Bratt and Hischier were 0 and -1 respectively. That's pretty good on a team as underwater as NJ. Jack, Shara, and Mercer were well below that. I don't want to strip Jack of his creativity and I'm sure he isn't the first offensively biased player who will have to adjust his game a bit to do a bit better at even strength. Graves and Siegenthaler were -9 and -5 respectively which isn't terrible given the team tire fire. Subban was only -8. Since he was dragging around the not ready for primetime Smith for a good portion of that or playing up a pair when Dr. Evil was out I'd say that's pretty good for him on balance. That said, Andreas Johnsson was +4 so as always plus/minus is a fairly oversimplified stat, but I do think in terms of relative to their teammates you can see where the obvious need to improve stands. I'm sure none of this is lost on the coaches or hockey management.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Well for people who will pass along what the organization is doing and won’t be making stuff up:

Neal McHale
Dan Rice
Ben Birnell for Utica
Mike Morreale writes for NHL.com
Follow the tv/radio guys like Cangi and Loughlin
The Devils PR people like Stein, Bogart, and Kasan

I’m sure that’s not an exhaustive list but you won’t have to deal with people making up stuff from that list.

Then there are interesting bloggers if you want to read people speculating outside of the Devils PR sphere.
What, no Appice? (I'll date myself with that Vanilla Fudge reference)

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad