Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Smith talked yesterday didn’t he?

And is there really anything we want or need to hear from Johnsson? He’s become pretty irrelevant at this point hence why he’s grouped in with the 4th liners. Seems likely he’ll be gone next season.
Johnsson did one last year. I wonder if Kuokkanen is also gone then.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah it’s doubly damning considering he’s one of the handful of guys on the team that actually has been part of winning cultures for more than one year AND he’s one of the most cerebral thinkers on the team. In general players believe in ‘culture’ more than fans to begin with, though I’m sure one of the things that’s part of getting a better culture for him is just having an actual cohesive system 5-on-5 and the PP

I have a lot of faith in Brind’Amour as a coach and the team is a well-oiled machine, so I assume Carolina has a very good locker room culture.

The team is famous for it’s very strenuous pre-season camp. Their unique forechecking heavy system demands that they skate the puck down all game. Since they don’t have a possession system, they get hit harder on penalties, so endurance is a big thing to avoid making it worse.

Brind’Amour doesn’t hate creativity or young players who make mistakes though, nor do they have a joyless super serious locker-room (the players came up with all those post game win celebrations that gave Don Cherry fits).

My assumption that Carolina had a strong locker room culture was why it seemed like a good one for DeAngelo (along with it’s strong group of defensive defenseman & it’s small southern media market far from the NYC one).

So yes, Virginia, there is such a thing as Team Culture*. We’re social creatures and teams function as social units. Boston without a doubt has a great team culture, players who go there say that. No one likes working with an asshole, (unless he contributes a ton despite being an asshole). A inspirational vet can change the nature of a locker room, Chara did in Boston.

Andrew Ferrence, who won a SC in Boston in 2011, was signed to 4 year deal at age 35 by Craig McTavish and made the Oilers Captain in 2013-14 in an attempt to import that culture. It didn’t work. He’s talked at length about it.

I guess that always stuck with me because Ferrence discusses all the reasons it went wrong (Media/fan pressures, a non-supportive management that simply traded every problem away, young players without the commitment, bad culture) even though those teams were complete messes in 2013-14 (they had 6 goalies, 3rd worst record) & 2014-15 (also 3rd worst).

I just don’t see a lack of commitment from the top main young core pieces. The question is how to build around them.

I like Subban’s enthusiasm, and we’re worse without him, but however he trains isn’t helping his skating at all. He’s not reinventing himself very well to deal with his aging body (other than the vet takedowns of opposing players that only occasionally gets fined). He’s not the most driven guy and Hamilton is fun guy too. It was nice having his star power (nice in the sense we got some things out of the dumb trade) but I don’t see a contract working here.

Often team culture talk goes away with winning, which can come with more talent, there’s always a chicken or the egg thing. The Shark’s bad team culture suddenly improved after 6-3-1 stretch that included a four game win streak before this article on April, 7th 2021.

It's becoming evident that the Sharks' team culture is drastically improved

*That’s a cultural reference, I don’t think that’s your name, just to be painful clear to not make this weird.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Reads to me we won’t know anything about coaches for a week to a few weeks.

This makes sense with a collaborative process. There will be so many meetings and so many people adding their 2 cents to whatever the final verdict is.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Reads to me we won’t know anything about coaches for a week to a few weeks.

This makes sense with a collaborative process. There will be so many meetings and so many people adding their 2 cents to whatever the final verdict is.

Yes exactly this. Shouldn’t be rushed. Good interview so far by Lindy.
Post automatically merged:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The tweet did not include the rest of that statement :

I've been apart of it for five years now, a team not really succeeding and an organization not really succeeding and I want to be a change in that. I want to be a part of the team that brought this team back to be a championship team."
The Mchale guy tweeted that part

He seems to be putting the most out. Amanda and others are just picking off little parts mostly.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Nobody is litigating The Lighthouse. Anything involving that movie is a default judgment.
1EB33977-3B34-4BA6-8F1A-E9AF0EA1B6B7.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad