Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
They should get a shot in camp, but without any trades, there might be not enough tickets. Only Vesey and Subban are UFA's and in Vesey's case I think there could be interest from both sides for an extension. I think Subban is gone.
The Devils have four RFA forward in Boqvist, Bratt, Wood and Zacha. Bratt is an easy choice for an extension and only if they are worlds apart for a long term deal and Bratt is pushing for a contract right to UFA, a trade is an option. Boqvist should get a bridge quite easily. Wood's health could be a deciding factor, but I expect him back on a short term proof me deal. With Zacha any scenario is realistic.

Without any trades the Devils could have 13 forwards and 5 defensemen signed for next season. Neither Zetterlund, nor Okhotyuk will have an easy way on the opening day roster.

C
Hughes, Hischier, Boqvist, McLeod

LW
Sharangovich, Johnsson, Tatar, Wood, Kuokkanen

RW
Bratt, Mercer, Bastian

Other forward options
Vesey, Zacha, Thompson, Holtz, Foote

LD
Siegenthaler
Graves
Smith

RD
Hamilton
Severson

Other defensemen options
Bahl, Walsh

The bolded ones I would be extremely surprised, if they aren't on the opening day roster.

I can see, Johonsson, Tatar, Wood, Zacha, Graves and Smith in trades.

I can see Wood, Kuokkanen and Smith starting in the AHL.

I don't want Zacha back at all. We have so many forward options.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Yeah it’s doubly damning considering he’s one of the handful of guys on the team that actually has been part of winning cultures for more than one year AND he’s one of the most cerebral thinkers on the team. In general players believe in ‘culture’ more than fans to begin with, though I’m sure one of the things that’s part of getting a better culture for him is just having an actual cohesive system 5-on-5 and the PP

My suspicion (based on nothing conclusive so hopefully no one takes it too seriously) is the mention about crappy culture is the lack of accountability for losses and mistakes, and too much of a "its ok" mentality.
Post automatically merged:

if they fire ruff some of these kids will be on their 3rd coach. if results dont happen will we finally be blaming the kids? we laughed when predators picked up hynes but hes doing a good job there. ruff has had proven success at other areas hes coached as well.

It's hard to blame the kids when they had nothing to look up to their entire career.

Reactions: mdj12784

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Unless Fitz says in his end of season interview that Ruff WILL be back, I am going to believe he won’t be back.

If we hear nothing between now and the end of May, we’ll then he’s 98% or 99% coming back. Only thing that would change that then is an unexpected firing at some point after that (Like Mike Sullivan) around the league.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
If Fitz decides to keep Ruff he'll be heading out the door with him next year if it backfires.

But keeping Recchi should immediately be a fireable offense.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Post automatically merged:

Unless Fitz says in his end of season interview that Ruff WILL be back, I am going to believe he won’t be back.

If we hear nothing between now and the end of May, we’ll then he’s 98% or 99% coming back. Only thing that would change that then is an unexpected firing at some point after that (Like Mike Sullivan) around the league.
I think it could very easily go either way.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My theory that “Whatever happens with Ruff, the decision was probably already made. Nothing from here on out can hurt or help him” and that his fate was decided probably a month or longer ago might prove false today, but I did throw out the idea that we may not find out for a couple of weeks if he’s fired or not, as this has happened before where coaching changes are announced several weeks after a season has ended.

I mean, f***, I know it’s a little different of circumstances and all, but we had no clue Lou wouldn’t be the GM in about 3 weeks once the 14-15 season concluded. He was talking up how we were gonna maybe use some of our second round picks to acquire guys to help for next season (Shero wound up using one to acquire Palmieri), and how he would evaluate what coaches were available, but would not rule out bringing back his fellow N. Bench partners in Stevens and Oates.

Reactions: McDuffz88

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
My theory that “Whatever happens with Ruff, the decision was probably already made. Nothing from here on out can hurt or help him” and that his fate was decided probably a month or longer ago might prove false today, but I did throw out the idea that we may not find out for a couple of weeks if he’s fired or not, as this has happened before where coaching changes are announced several weeks after a season has ended.
I don’t agree with this at all. I think it’s very likely they’re still evaluating things and looking at what the other options could be. It is kind of a complicated decision.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Sources are telling me Ruff may or may not be returning
9CED10D3-5D67-4877-A5E1-DF1A17F93B7A.jpeg

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
So Ruff thinks the team’s gameplan changed to help the goalie as the season went on?

I’m concerned the whole organization isn’t good at evaluating what is happening on-ice in the defensive zone. They were awful all year in the defensive zone, at best you could say they want from horrific to bad.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
So Ruff thinks the team’s gameplan changed to help the goalie as the season went on?

I’m concerned the whole organization isn’t good at evaluating what is happening on-ice in the defensive zone. They were awful all year in the defensive zone, at best you could say they want from horrific to bad.
Doesn’t sound like he said. Just said that’s what they tried to do

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Fitz’s Hemming & Hawing/60 could challenge Shero’s then.

I honestly read this as “we thought they were firing him and now not sure”. Vancouver’s off-season is good example of why this is a dumb move. Give the next the guy a lot of room for improvement.

I’m going to wait until Fitz is done mulling it over though. GMs typically take more than a couple days to announce this. (I originally didn’t wait, and had long rant, but then cut it lol.)

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad