Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

devilsfan950003

Jul 3, 2023
The question I ask regarding Lebanc is, who is our 13th forward? Foote? MacDermid? Halonen? Is Lebanc a better 13th forward than these players?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The question I ask regarding Lebanc is, who is our 13th forward? Foote? MacDermid? Halonen? Is Lebanc a better 13th forward than these players?
he may not be better than halonen but lebanc may not be willing to play in the ahl. it’ll be interesting to see how fitz handles it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Has there even been an official roster announcement before Friday-Saturday, or at least a list of who's over there?

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Can this team ever be f***ing transparent with injuries ?

Hughes was 4-6 weeks about 2 weeks ago and now he’s still 5-7 ?

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Can this team ever be f***ing transparent with injuries ?

Hughes was 4-6 weeks about 2 weeks ago and now he’s still 5-7 ?

How can one put this?

1727887739437.png

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Why is that the case? I’ve seen a number of fans generally down on him but I haven’t really seen an explanation what he does badly. He’s a fourth liner with limited expectations. I know that his shoulder injury seems to have taken away his willingness to fight but that was never a major part of his game. Is he blowing defensive zone coverages? Can he not make a pass? Does he shy away from necessary physical contact and thereby lose pucks? To my eyes he seems pretty vanilla but not someone that I worry about on the ice for the average shift.

I don't think he does anything particularly wrong either, but I think it's the "somehow we can do better".. for me at least. I'll keep Bastian around sure, but I can easily argue with myself that there a couple guys that could replace him in the waiting.

(Not foote).

Maybe it's all pining for some mythical perfect 4th line player with a bit more skill to go with that grind.

Cotter seems like a guy that would be closer to that kind. Find another Cotter.

Reactions: HBK27

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Bastian doesn't really do anything well. He is a competent PKer and occasionally physical, but clearly not physical enough to be a deterrent to the Wilsons and Rempes of the world. He's not a good skater and his role as the big body net-front PP guy is obsolete now that we actually have quality offensive wingers who can play that role better.

He's only appeared in 60% of games over the last two years due to injury yet makes nearly double league minimum. I was a big believer in him as a prospect, but he's developed into an easily replaceable player. It's not that hard to find 4th liners who can hit people and PK a bit, most 4th liners can do that. He's just a guy.

This isn't to say I'm a Labanc fanboy. I think he'd be fine as a #13 or a first callup from Utica. But the 4th line is a great place for us to both upgrade player quality and reduce cost. I don't know if Labanc's game would translate well in that role. But I certainly know that we can do much better than Bastian.

Deterrents don’t exist

Yes. The others are not NHL players. Labanc is.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Deterrents don’t exist

Yes. The others are not NHL players. Labanc is.
I agree that deterrence is not a thing. MacDermid, however, offers value in that Rempe can't cheap shot anyone in the head if he's ejected from the game. MacDermid forcing Rempe to fight right off the puck drop is a smart strategy. Push him around and call him out if he won't fight. That's not deterrence but I'm guessing if Rempe is preoccupied avoiding MacDermid he won't hit anyone in the head at that point. Fighting is only a tool. The guys that fight each other don't really add anything to a game. What does matter is how many cheap shots injure player. I could care less about Rempe fighting but if MacDermid will get Rempe thrown out by fighting then it makes sense.

Reactions: HBK27

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I agree that deterrence is not a thing. MacDermid, however, offers value in that Rempe can't cheap shot anyone in the head if he's ejected from the game. MacDermid forcing Rempe to fight right off the puck drop is a smart strategy. Push him around and call him out if he won't fight. That's not deterrence but I'm guessing if Rempe is preoccupied avoiding MacDermid he won't hit anyone in the head at that point. Fighting is only a tool. The guys that fight each other don't really add anything to a game. What does matter is how many cheap shots injure player. I could care less about Rempe fighting but if MacDermid will get Rempe thrown out by fighting then it makes sense.

I mean Rempe crushed Siegs when MacDermid was literally on the ice

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm hoping Labanc doesn't make the team just so I don't have to see Lebanc in here all the time. Shades of Salvadore and Kincaid.
Seeing the constant misspelling of his name actually fooled me into thinking that I may have been spelling his name wrong all along now for as many years as he’s been playing in the league. :laugh:

Reactions: Hisch13r

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad