Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I think it has to be Lou. Lou never retiring has held up adding him to the ring of honor.

There was a zero % chance they would do this when our team was still losing/rebuilding and Lou’s team was in the playoffs.

We broke out and the fans our in the honeymoon phase with Fitz, it’s time for them to get it done.

You don’t put GMs on banners.

Sam Polluck doesn’t have banner in Bell Centre.

The Islanders have a banner for Al Arbour with “1500” and not Bill Torrey.

Keith Allen was the 3rd inductee to the Flyers Hall of Fame, after Parent and Clarke, but he doesn’t get a banner. (Ed Snider did get one, but not a GM, and plus they built a cultish worship around that guy.)

GMs work behind the scenes, their legacy is honored with the banners already up there. That’s why they’re “builders” in the HHofF.

Banners are for the guys winning games on the ice.

Maybe can look forward to the Nashville Predators putting up a David Poile banner though.

Chico is a slam dunk. Doc seems very likely.

Not sure after that. All three Cup coaches at once? One at a time? Just Lemaire? IDK

1500*

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It only gets downplayed because of the 100 plus years of lousy coaching behavior that was accepted and conditioned fans to accept and even celebrate. Parcells Bellichick Saban Weaver Billy Martin Cherry Keenan etc.
As Denzel Washington said in Remember The Titans, I may be a mean cuss but I’m the same mean cuss to everyone. Consistency matters but even more than that times change, coaches can’t get away with certain behavior any more than players can get away with head shots the way they did twenty years ago. The truly great ones would be able to adapt in any era. Scotty Bowman could play head games with anyone but you never hear people say even thirty years later that he crossed a line or that he couldn’t coach today’s players.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
As Denzel Washington said in Remember The Titans, I may be a mean cuss but I’m the same mean cuss to everyone. Consistency matters but even more than that times change, coaches can’t get away with certain behavior any more than players can get away with head shots the way they did twenty years ago. The truly great ones would be able to adapt in any era. Scotty Bowman could play head games with anyone but you never hear people say even thirty years later that he crossed a line or that he couldn’t coach today’s players.

You notice I didn’t include him in my list. Or Al Arbour. But that wasn’t my point. It’s that times change but like reading a main board thread on the big hit of thr week, attitudes change slowly.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Every generation thinks "this generation is different...difficult and more uncoachable"

Here is a quote from Larry Robinson comparing Bowmen and Lemaire in 1995

Then Robinson said: "I think probably Scotty's the first one to admit that he's changed. The motivation of hockey players now is much different than it was earlier on where you could intimidate players into playing hard for you. Now, it's a little more difficult."

Yeah, yeah..."it's different now". So different it's the same.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Every generation thinks "this generation is different...difficult and more uncoachable"

Here is a quote from Larry Robinson comparing Bowmen and Lemaire in 1995

Then Robinson said: "I think probably Scotty's the first one to admit that he's changed. The motivation of hockey players now is much different than it was earlier on where you could intimidate players into playing hard for you. Now, it's a little more difficult."

Yeah, yeah..."it's different now". So different it's the same.

Somewhere is an Aristotle quote about how young people ignore their elders and don’t care about anything but socializing and wearing nice clothes. It’s just that now social media has given a shared platform to public opinion that was the stuff of polls and editorials in newspapers in earlier days.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Garrett Wilson's 17 jersey, Timo Meier's 96 jersey and Dawson Mercer's 18 jersey gonna be some cool novelty sport jerseys to have soon.

I love that it was Fox that coughed up the puck. I tell my ranger fan acquaintances, I would never call them friends, that Fox is the reason they lost game 7.

Fox was bad in that series after like game 3 but you wouldn't know it since the Rags and their fans thought that series was wraps after game 2.

Reactions: JimEIV and My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad