Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah I could see it being mostly a coach, executive, broadcast thing only which is fine.

Burns was actually my first guess on who is going up there because I don't think Lou will be down for an event like that while he is still working.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
2001 team was significantly better than the 2000 team and the +44 outburst in scoring had little to nothing to do with expansion and almost everything to do with Elias coming of age. League wide average GF was virtually the same in 2001 (226 goals average) as it was in 2000 (225 goals average)

2000 Team. 45 wins and 24 losses
Goals For: 251 (2nd of 28),
Goals Against: 203 (7th of 28)
League average Goals per game 2.75

Top 5 scores
Elias 72
Gomez 70
Sykora 68
Arnott 56
Holik 46

2001Team. 48 wins and 19 losses
Goals For: 295 (1st of 30)
Goals Against: 195 (5th of 30)
League average Goals per game 2.76

Top 5 scorers
Elias 96 points
Mogilny 86 points
Sykora 81 points
Gomez 63 points
Arnott *55 points in 54 games

The 2000 team was +26 GF over average --- The 2001 team was +69 GF over average

The 2000 team was -22 GA under average --- The 2001 team was -31 GA under average.

The 2001 team was both significantly better offensively and defensively than the 2000 team.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdj12784

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Did Ftorek demand his players show him pictures of their family or something like that, too?

EDIT : No response? I mean comparing Ftorek's "coaching style" to Babcock's blatant invasion of privacy is comparing apples and diarrhea.
I was saying people tried (and some still are to an extent) to downplay Babcock as just an old guy who was socially awkward and not as the controlling bully he is. Ftorek wasn’t a bad guy at heart afaik, he just did stupid crap trying to be tough enough to coach that made everyone roll their eyes.

Reactions: glenwo2

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I was saying people tried (and some still are to an extent) to downplay Babcock as just an old guy who was socially awkward and not as the controlling bully he is. Ftorek wasn’t a bad guy at heart afaik, he just did stupid crap trying to be tough enough to coach that made everyone roll their eyes.
I'm not trying to defend Babcock... I'm not even talking about him...but so many great coaches in all of sports were "controlling bullies". It's never ending story of how much players hated said coach while they were playing for them and respected, loved and understood them after it was over.

It's funny we all look back at Pat Burns with fond memories...you can dig up some ducy quotes from players that couldn't stand him, shouting matches, disagreement in playing philosophy while they were playing for him...and not only Gomez...Elias wasn't his biggest fan either.

When you win all is forgotten, all is forgiven...it was just " the process"...you lose then fingers start pointing and personalities are dissected.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
2001 team was significantly better than the 2000 team and the +44 outburst in scoring had little to nothing to do with expansion and almost everything to do with Elias coming of age. League wide average GF was virtually the same in 2001 (226 goals average) as it was in 2000 (225 goals average)

2000 Team. 45 wins and 24 losses
Goals For: 251 (2nd of 28),
Goals Against: 203 (7th of 28)
League average Goals per game 2.75

Top 5 scores
Elias 72
Gomez 70
Sykora 68
Arnott 56
Holik 46

2001Team. 48 wins and 19 losses
Goals For: 295 (1st of 30)
Goals Against: 195 (5th of 30)
League average Goals per game 2.76

Top 5 scorers
Elias 96 points
Mogilny 86 points
Sykora 81 points
Gomez 63 points
Arnott *55 points in 54 games

The 2000 team was +26 GF over average --- The 2001 team was +69 GF over average

The 2000 team was -22 GA under average --- The 2001 team was -31 GA under average.

The 2001 team was both significantly better offensively and defensively than the 2000 team.

lol. You do realize that you think Ftorek should've stayed the coach and yet Robinson got significantly better results out of what amounted to largely the same team?

A few of those goals were expansion, many of them are fortunate.

Nonetheless, the 2000 team, in the playoffs, with Mogilny on the 3rd/4th line and Malakhov on the 3rd pairing, is the best team the Devils had and probably will ever have. The 2001 Devils had more injuries but they also just had weaker players in the depth roles.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
lol. You do realize that you think Ftorek should've stayed the coach and yet Robinson got significantly better results out of what amounted to largely the same team?

A few of those goals were expansion, many of them are fortunate.

Nonetheless, the 2000 team, in the playoffs, with Mogilny on the 3rd/4th line and Malakhov on the 3rd pairing, is the best team the Devils had and probably will ever have. The 2001 Devils had more injuries but they also just had weaker players in the depth roles.
Mogilny was pretty much invisible in the 2000 playoffs. He had one stand out game against the Flyers where he scored a game winner in Game 6 of the ECF to tie up the series and send it to game 7.

Other than that he was Casper the friendly Ghost throughout much of the 2000 playoffs.

The 2000 defense was not the best defense we ever had by a long shot...95 was much better and Shawn Chambers and Tommy Albelin as the 5/6 was light-years better than White /Malakhov.

Edit: and the 2001 team had the best 4 centers this organization has ever had. Arnott, Gomez, Holik and Madden was the best forward depth we ever had.
Year 2 of Madden was a significant jump 16 goals to 23 career high...11:40 of ice time to 15:35 that was almost equalling Holik.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Maybe it's just because of how I have it envisioned in my head due to football, but I see the Ring of Honor as a way to acknowledge anyone meaningful to the organization that doesn't get a banner in the rafters. I don't treat it necessarily as a step down from that from a builder view, but because I guess it'd be hard to figure out what the banner would be for Lou. A nice big picture of his face? He wouldn't ever go for that, I feel like. :laugh:

Lou unquestionably deserves something significant, though. Truthfully, a statue would be the best thing but I'd like to see him have something in the arena, as well. Maybe the Ring of Honor on the other side of the rink opposite Dr. McMullen and the statue together would be a nice way of doing it.

I feel like Lou is the favorite with the Islanders being off that night and playing the same opponent at home the next night. But could just be a pure coincidence.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

It only gets downplayed because of the 100 plus years of lousy coaching behavior that was accepted and conditioned fans to accept and even celebrate. Parcells Bellichick Saban Weaver Billy Martin Cherry Keenan etc.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Don't know how many years Lindy wants to coach, but he reasonably has a chance to end up 3rd on the all-time coaching wins list with two more seasons. Maybe even 2nd if he gets frisky enough to coach 3 more years. :laugh:

It was mentioned before, but when you look at the power dynamic bullshit that Babcock pulled on younger players, it makes you grateful at least to have a guy like Lindy behind the bench who has his players' ears and respect. It's too easy for older, veteran coaches to try and establish their power simply by their age and experience. So I'm appreciative of how he has brought these guys along in his tenure here.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It only gets downplayed because of the 100 plus years of lousy coaching behavior that was accepted and conditioned fans to accept and even celebrate. Parcells Bellichick Saban Weaver Billy Martin Cherry Keenan etc.
We only know about their short comings because of their success.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It all goes back to age old question that Machiavelli posed in the Prince --- "is it better to be feared or loved"

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sure but that’s the nature of coaching. It doesn’t change the fact they were or. Are bullies and control freaks.
Or you might say strong willed and meticulous...

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Regardless of the superlatives, it's a business where ONLY results matter...the ends 100% justify the means.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

1695133464491.gif

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Is it just me, but has the theme nights and giveways gotten progressively worse it each year?

Team poster on opening night? Lame.

Bobbleheads seem to me the only decent giveaway.

This is more than last year with multiple bobble heads , it was worse last year.

Only one hat though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Meh. I know enough about most of those guys to know that things they said and did would have gotten them in hot water in today’s game. But they won and that was all that mattered.
Well there's definitely a line that should never be crossed. And integrity should always be kept...but pushing buttons, maintaining order, being demanding even of arbitrary rules...I see nothing wrong there. A little verbal gymnastics is a good thing.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Novo posted something about MSG+ launching and then quickly took it down. Hope he’s not in trouble.

Didn't it already get launched? I thought I've gotten e-mails about it over the summer.

The prices were announced over the summer but apparently today is the actual launch day to use it...

Reactions: Better Call Sal

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The prices were announced over the summer but apparently today is the actual launch day to use it...

That's right, thanks. I forgot about the absurd pricing. $10 a game? $30 a month? I'll stick with FuboTV for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad