Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The N. bench is my favorite staff name in the history of ever.

I remember how hilarious I thought it was when I first saw that on hockey reference.

I’ve still never heard it called that before, outside of hockey reference and on here after we kind of adopted the name after hockey reference naming it that.

If the Rangers or Islanders (or Predators) had their own incarnation of an N. Bench, would they also call it the N. Bench cause they come from a place that starts with N? Or would they have to call it something else cause there’s now already been an N. Bench?

If it happened with the Sharks would it be the S. Bench?

Or P. Bench for Flyers or Pens?

comical shit but annoying that it's inconsistent on H-R ...if you click on the N. Bench link it shows the record but it's spelled "NJD Bench" ....nooo!

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
comical shit but annoying that it's inconsistent on H-R ...if you click on the N. Bench link it shows the record but it's spelled "NJD Bench" ....nooo!

Legendary photo for it though, always puts a smile on my face.

5D07CA35-E486-4E0E-BDDD-10223B80FA25.jpeg

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
I'm not opposed to trying to find a Sharangovich for fellow RFA trade. I worry about the ability of the third line to generate offense without a skillful addition and I think you might find that in a 'hockey trade'

If Fitz opts for the Zacha for Haula trade with Sharangovich I could see Henrique being a good fit (with retention).

Trading for a bottom-pairing RHD also makes sense. Demelo sounds like he could be this board's next Ben Lovejoy ;)

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
U listed 7 dmen.

Keeping Boq makes sense because he is cheap and I think the same goes for Shara.

Hes not as cheap but he is more productive.

Don’t think we need a top 4 lefty dman though. We are throwing Luke into the deep end. I think he’ll be good.
7 Dmen turns to 6 with an injury. I'd rather have some depth to keep Smith as a #7 Dman. You don't get that kuxirt without signing anyone. Nemec should get playing time down in Utica. Another year down there will do him good unless he forces a call up. There's no players down there I would really want called up aside from him. Vilen and Misyul hopefully someday. Walsh and Vikojevic are still young so I wouldn't write them off yet.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
We'll see with Greene. As I said with Brunette leaving, I think people tend to overrate how much assistants matter in the NHL, as well as coaching in general. Do we know if he'll be running the powerplay?
I'm not opposed to trying to find a Sharangovich for fellow RFA trade. I worry about the ability of the third line to generate offense without a skillful addition and I think you might find that in a 'hockey trade'

If Fitz opts for the Zacha for Haula trade with Sharangovich I could see Henrique being a good fit (with retention).

Trading for a bottom-pairing RHD also makes sense. Demelo sounds like he could be this board's next Ben Lovejoy ;)
I think Zacha for Haula was a good trade because Zacha was clearly just not working out here anymore and Haula fit what we needed like a glove, that being a versatile winger that can play center and play on any line. But ultimately, we 1-for-1'd and gave up the "better" and younger player. I think that's fine in certain circumstances and maybe this would be one of them, but I'm just not sure we're quite to that point yet with Sharangovich. In a lot of ways he has very similar traits to Zacha, but I think he still has a chance at learning to be an effective even-strength piece on the 3rd line in a way I don't think Zacha did here, and he's also had much more limited powerplay time, which may change with a new coach running that show.

We will almost certainly be inserting both Foote and Holtz into this lineup and Sharangovich can be a reasonable plan b for both of them. I get the Henrique nostalgia, but I honestly think we're better off going into this season mostly keeping what we have and re-evaluating 20 games in or so.
He looked like it in that "one" legendary shift in the Rangers series... lol

He needs to bring more of that..
Bahl was 3rd on the team in all strengths hits/60 among D during the regular season, just behind Smith at 6.52. The next closest behind them was Seigenthaler with 3.76. Okhotiuk had an absurd 15.85 in his 10 games. If you look at the list of anyone that averaged more than 10, it's not a particularly inspiring list outside of Gudas. I think Bahl has potential to grow into a bit more of a mean streak and I really don't think you want him to go overboard with it by any means. He has solid possession instincts for his role and I think you want him to maximize those and pick his spots to go for a big check rather than just using his reach to force the opposition into corners and turnovers.

Last edited:

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Hear me out - what about a cheap one-year deal for JVR, at say >$2 million? I know he isn't the JVR of five years ago, but wonder if he could fit on the left side of Hughes/Bratt, a guy who doesn't need the puck on his stick, can really shoot it & has a nose for the net. Not the fleetest of foot, but a big body & could he maybe get you ~20 between that spot/PP2? Maybe worth a flier to then have Haula in that 3C spot, which might be the ideal spot? Could see a Palat-Haula-Holtz third line?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
A little surprised we haven’t gotten a Haula signing yet. I’m sure we will soon.

Though Fitz claims there is no pecking order for the signings, there's no doubt in my mind that he's knocking out the most important contracts (or attempting to do so) in Bratt and Timo first. I'm sure even he is surprised about how quickly the Bratt contract discussions were resolved and how open Timo's camp is to a long-term deal, so it probably is taking his attention for the time being.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We'll see with Greene. As I said with Brunette leaving, I think people tend to overrate how much assistants matter in the NHL, as well as coaching in general. Do we know if he'll be running the powerplay?

I think Zacha for Haula was a good trade because Zacha was clearly just not working out here anymore and Haula fit what we needed like a glove, that being a versatile winger that can play center and play on any line. But ultimately, we 1-for-1'd and gave up the "better" and younger player. I think that's fine in certain circumstances and maybe this would be one of them, but I'm just not sure we're quite to that point yet with Sharangovich. In a lot of ways he has very similar traits to Zacha, but I think he still has a chance at learning to be an effective even-strength piece on the 3rd line in a way I don't think Zacha did here, and he's also had much more limited powerplay time, which may change with a new coach running that show.

We will almost certainly be inserting both Foote and Holtz into this lineup and Sharangovich can be a reasonable plan b for both of them. I get the Henrique nostalgia, but I honestly think we're better off going into this season mostly keeping what we have and re-evaluating 20 games in or so.

Bahl was 3rd on the team in all strengths hits/60 among D during the regular season, just behind Smith at 6.52. The next closest behind them was Seigenthaler with 3.76. Okhotiuk had an absurd 15.85 in his 10 games. If you look at the list of anyone that averaged more than 10, it's not a particularly inspiring list outside of Gudas. I think Bahl has potential to grow into a bit more of a mean streak and I really don't think you want him to go overboard with it by any means. He has solid possession instincts for his role and I think you want him to maximize those and pick his spots to go for a big check rather than just using his reach to force the opposition into corners and turnovers.
I'll disagree with you a bit on Haula and Zacha. NJ gave up the younger more talented player. I'm not sure I'd agree Zacha is "better" unless you see "better" as a function of measurable talent, which is a reasonable definition. NJ needed some veteran effort and added Haula and Palat. I'd say Haula's work and effort more than offset the talent gap with Zacha. In my view, Zacha should be a great all around forward. I think he's good but not even very good which shows me that for whatever reason he is just unlikely to use all his natural talents consistently. Everything worked out perfectly for Boston in the regular season and Zacha barely broke 20 goals and didn't get to 60 points in a full 82 games. It's hard to see things going better for him if Boston loses Bergeron Krecji and Hall. Just my thoughts.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I'll disagree with you a bit on Haula and Zacha. NJ gave up the younger more talented player. I'm not sure I'd agree Zacha is "better" unless you see "better" as a function of measurable talent, which is a reasonable definition. NJ needed some veteran effort and added Haula and Palat. I'd say Haula's work and effort more than offset the talent gap with Zacha. In my view, Zacha should be a great all around forward. I think he's good but not even very good which shows me that for whatever reason he is just unlikely to use all his natural talents consistently. Everything worked out perfectly for Boston in the regular season and Zacha barely broke 20 goals and didn't get to 60 points in a full 82 games. It's hard to see things going better for him if Boston loses Bergeron Krecji and Hall. Just my thoughts.
The reason I had "better" in quotation marks was absolutely a nod to talent rather than efficacy. I'm happy to have Haula over Zacha, particularly if Haula does re-sign on a reasonable contract.

I don't think trading the younger and more talented player 1-for-1 is always a losing proposition, but I do think doing it often is a good way to run yourself out of long-term value for short-term gain. I just view a Sharangovich for Henrique trade in a similar light and I don't love the idea of making a habit of those trades. Maybe I would feel differently if I were more confident that Henrique was the perfect fit like Haula was, but I'm not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad