Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As a head coach, Green was awful.

Terrible developmental coach who screwed up pretty much every young player he came in contract with. Would always default to safe, bad veterans instead of trusting young players - and yes, you can say that about lots of coaches but he's the worst I've ever seen for it.

And that would be fine, if he was a great coach running a great system. But after watching him for 8 years in Utica/Vancouver I still don't know what he was ever trying to do and most of his success was based on great goaltending bailing out teams that were getting caved in 5-on-5.

But veterans did love him, probably because he seemed to run a country club.

As an assistant, who knows. But he's probably the worst coach I've experienced in 30+ years following the Canucks.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
nJ Devils Losing Andrew Brunette as head coach to the Nashville Predators is sad. Fitz signing Ruff again was a mistake in my opinion. It was time to move on to a big time coach. Now signing Travis Green as associate head coach in my opinion is a step backwards. It does go along with keeping Ruff.
Travis Green was a classmate of Fitz. Mistake IMO. The club.

Reactions: My3Sons

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
nJ Devils Losing Andrew Brunette as head coach to the Nashville Predators is sad. Fitz signing Ruff again was a mistake in my opinion. It was time to move on to a big time coach. Now signing Travis Green as associate head coach in my opinion is a step backwards. It does go along with keeping Ruff.
Travis Green was a classmate of Fitz. Mistake IMO. The club.
Why was the time to move on from Ruff after we smashed expectations and had one of the best seasons in franchise history?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I mean a legit mean bastard. Like Gudas.... Bahl isn't that. I do however keeping forgetting about him tbh.

Bahl’s just turning 23 this month, he can get there.

He absolutely can physically shut down opposing players, he’s simply bigger and stronger than most of them.

Gudas is a menace but not all that big. Florida isn’t a big team, it’s a team of pests. They get penalized more than they hit.

They also had a bunch of injured players by the end. They’re “tough to play against” but their PK was one of their downfalls. All the cost of being so chippy.

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

Terrible developmental coach who screwed up pretty much every young player he came in contract with. Would always default to safe, bad veterans instead of trusting young players - and yes, you can say that about lots of coaches but he's the worst I've ever seen for it.

And that would be fine, if he was a great coach running a great system. But after watching him for 8 years in Utica/Vancouver I still don't know what he was ever trying to do and most of his success was based on great goaltending bailing out teams that were getting caved in 5-on-5.

As an assistant, who knows. But he's probably the worst coach I've experienced in 30+ years following the Canucks.

Sounds like PDB

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

That is somewhat surprising to hear given the Keenan, Torts and Willie Desjardins eras that occurred as well, but point taken.

Is it possible that a lot of the issues stemmed from poor roster construction, as well? Curious on my part.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That is somewhat surprising to hear given the Keenan, Torts and Willie Desjardins eras that occurred as well, but point taken.

Is it possible that a lot of the issues stemmed from poor roster construction, as well? Curious on my part.

Tortorella was a good coach who did a bad job in Vancouver. Keenan was a good coach who was also insane. Green was just ... yuck. Willie was also terrible but at least seemed to be able to coach some structure.

There was obviously poor roster construction but his teams consistently underperformed 5-on-5 even relative to their rosters.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Fitz has a pretty good idea of the fit he wants, but there's not a lot of get excited about with his coaching record. He was sub .500 as head coach of the Canucks, but went pretty deep into the playoffs in the one season his team made the post season. Prior to that he was head coach of the Utica Comets, so there may be some familiarity there as well.

If he had an above .500 record as a coach, he probably wouldn’t be taking an assistant coaching job at this stage of his career.

There is a difference between being a head coach and assistant. Thus why I have no opinion.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Forgot about the Keenan era in Vancouver, but that was a whole dumpster fire there. They signed Messier and he basically took over the team.

Canucks fans HATE Messier, although if you ask MIA poster Trottier (the weirdo who jumped ship from the Islanders to us and then I don't think has been seen since the 12-13 season or so), he claims they didn't hate Messier and that was a lie by me and everybody else lol.

Reactions: My3Sons

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Green gave Quinn Hughes a f***ton of rope his rookie year, a year that would've won him the Calder if Cale Makar didn't exist.

Also... it's just an assistant coach lol. John MacLean was an unmitigated disaster of a head coach, but he was a stellar assistant with the Devils when they won their cup in 2003.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Forgot about the Keenan era in Vancouver, but that was a whole dumpster fire there. They signed Messier and he basically took over the team.

Canucks fans HATE Messier, although if you ask MIA poster Trottier (the weirdo who jumped ship from the Islanders to us and then I don't think has been seen since the 12-13 season or so), he claims they didn't hate Messier and that was a lie by me and everybody else lol.
I love the person who is right when the rest of the world is wrong. They are always so rational and balanced. That fourth marriage will be the charm. Those three other ex-spouses were all at fault.

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Bahl’s just turning 23 this month, he can get there.

He absolutely can physically shut down opposing players, he’s simply bigger and stronger than most of them.

Gudas is a menace but not all that big. Florida isn’t a big team, it’s a team of pests. They get penalized more than they hit.

They also had a bunch of injured players by the end. They’re “tough to play against” but their PK was one of their downfalls. All the cost of being so chippy.
I don't care about their size, I just want a prick on our team who guys dislike.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
John MacLean was an unmitigated disaster of a head coach, but he was a stellar assistant with the Devils when they won their cup in 2003.
No he wasn't.

He was never stellar at anything that involved coaching. That was his first year on the staff and the PP dropped astronomically from the year before. I'm pretty sure it was DEAD LAST that year in the regular season.

That was a big reason for the down years offensively from guys like Elias and Gomez, who both had 57/55 points that year and played 81 and 80 games. Joe Nieuwendyk also had a down year, but bounced back considerably the next season in Toronto.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Camille the Eel

I don't really care about Travis Green's head coaching record when he's an assistant now, I do wish they'd have just promoted Sarge (even Brunette out the door endorsed this) but I guess in Fitz we trust.
Why do we even have to have an “associate coach” between the head and the assistants? what’s the point of it, most teams just have a bunch of assistant coaches and that’s that.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad