Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
7q7r50.jpg

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I mean, extreme bias here, but Lundqvist’s resume is so overrated. Seriously, WC medals are going to tilt the scale? Even if he gets in because let’s face it, the gate is pretty wide open these days, no way he’s a first ballot guy.

He 100% is, lol. The guy was the best goalie in our sport for a decade plus, the Rangers being shit shouldn't be on his shoulders. Guy always came up big. Imagine if Cory had his 2013-2016 prime stretch over for a decade plus to a 15 year span, it's Henrik Lundqvist's career.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Saw Novo's article post today about Reilly Walsh & Dan MacKinnon admitting they could lose him either to a trade or waivers - which I have actually been thinking about lately. My scenario would be Nashville trades Tyson Barrie to a team needing a PPQB type guy (they can retain, so definitely plausible scenario), then are willing to move like a 2024 3rd over to the Devils for Walsh to come in & get a shot to be one of their PP guys who plays third pair at ES. After Josi, they really don't have anyone in there who would fit that role. Maybe Brunette has a little bit of familiarity from Walsh at least being in the NJ system?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It has nothing to do with the standard, it's the equivalent if Matt Murray and Adin Hill got into the HHOF for their runs. There's other way more deserving forwards who should've gotten in. No one has a problem with a guy like Hank because he was literally the best goalie in the league for a decade plus. Hell, Tim Thomas is way more deserving in the HHOF than the 2 out of the 3 goalies that went in yesterday.
Both of those goalies were better than what I think Adin Hill projects to be.

Murray had the potential to be a really good goalie, but he just declined way too early.

Barrasso declined earlier too. He was almost a perennial Vezina candidate in his 20’s, but was pretty useless by his 30’s. Murray has been pretty useless since he was 25.

Here’s another thing Barrasso has going for him. I’m pretty sure he’s got the most points all time among goalies.

Vernon had a decent amount of bad seasons when he was young though. Both goalies played till they were in their late 30’s and looked really bad while doing it.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
look, we all hated and made fun of Lundqvist, but this revisionist history nonsense that he doesn't deserve to be 1st ballot is absurd lol he is one of the better goalies of all time.

also,

Yeah, I can't see how anyone can argue for Helly when Adin Hill and Darcy Kuemper won the Cup. The argument for Helly as a rental would track with Kuemper but extending him would be a no-no.

Murray had the potential to be a really good goalie, but he just declined way too early.

Barrasso declined earlier too. He was almost a perennial Vezina candidate in his 20’s, but was pretty useless by his 30’s. Murray has been pretty useless since he was 25.

Here’s another thing Barrasso has going for him. I’m pretty sure he’s got the most points all time among goalies.

Vernon had a decent amount of bad seasons when he was young though. Both goalies played till they were in their late 30’s and looked really bad while doing it.

Right, which is why goalies should be given a harsh leash when it comes to the the HOF. I get the era for goalies was insanely brutal for during that time period but it doesn't mean you pick them over elite forwards every year. If you're going to do the era stuff with goalies, why does someone like Patrik Elias not get given the benefit of the doubt too in that and he was a far better forward than either of those guys were goalies. Just mind boggling shit, lol.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
I mean, extreme bias here, but Lundqvist’s resume is so overrated. Seriously, WC medals are going to tilt the scale? Even if he gets in because let’s face it, the gate is pretty wide open these days, no way he’s a first ballot guy.

I hate the guy but he was a dominate goalie and has a pretty solid resume. Though I will say... some of those Rangers teams were good. I do think they get less results with another goalie, but it's not like they were filled with traffic cones.

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
He 100% is, lol. The guy was the best goalie in our sport for a decade plus, the Rangers being shit shouldn't be on his shoulders. Guy always came up big. Imagine if Cory had his 2013-2016 prime stretch over for a decade plus to a 15 year span, it's Henrik Lundqvist's career.
There are numerous goalies that have elevated worse teams to championships. Being the “best” over an arbitrary period of time doesn’t equal HHOF to me, but whatever. When people point to his resume they always include his WC medals, and so just fundamentally don’t care about a tournament that isn’t even best on best.

Also, you’re right about his decade of play, but that didn’t stretch to 15 years. His last four seasons were hardly dominant.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
There are numerous goalies that have elevated worse teams to championships. Being the “best” over an arbitrary period of time doesn’t equal HHOF to me, but whatever. When people point to his resume they always include his WC medals, and so just fundamentally don’t care about a tournament that isn’t even best on best.

Also, you’re right about his decade of play, but that didn’t stretch to 15 years. His last four seasons were hardly dominant.

It's the Hockey Hall of Fame, not just the NHL. There's a ton of people in it with more international prowess than their NHL prowess. I hate the Rangers as the next Devils fan but it's petty to argue if Hank wasn't a first ballot HOF. He's the best player in this atrocious HOF class by a country mile.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
devils gear aside he literally says "almost time" with a clock and a hand signing with a pen emoji. this is getting done :nod:
Yeah, I don't know who this person is, just saw it in my suggestions, I think he's mostly speculating, but yeah all signs are pointing in the right direction with Timo.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I think it comes down to how many goalies get on the hall from a particular era. And the fact that Barasso and Vernon made it in makes it so you have to put in Lundpads.

I was never a fan, really, but I don't know how you leave the guy off with the other two going in.

And with the way goalies have become a commodity, after Fleury, Vas and Quick, it's hard to make a case for anyone else who currently is anywhere near the conversation. The next goalie after that guy is going to be super borderline, else he's just starting his career.

Edit... Like say, if a guy named Schmid went on to win 7 Stanley Cups I'd vote for him.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What does mogilny have to do with Putin? These kind of broad associations by nationality or heritage are absurd.

(Not directed at you but general rant)

There are millions of people of the same ethnicity and/or nationality of Putin (or speak the Russian language) that don't agree with the foreign policy of the Putin government.

(Parallel is blaming Sharangovich for Lukoshenko's policies tied to Putin... How would that logical? Maybe ban him too? Collateral shaming)

Or It's like all the people that didn't vote for Trump or didn't vote for Biden are to blame for the USA domestic or foreign policy that was enacted during their terms. I don't control the us foreign policy whether I voted for the those or not. As if politicians do what they say they will do....not in my lifetime. They do whatever they feel like doing or their lobby groups push for (and that is in the USA). Forget places where leaders have even more of a direct grip on everything.

In a perfect vacuum one can think that, or think somehow dictators can be fairly "voted" out. Yeah...not realistic.

Anyway sucks that people so far removed from politics or literally not in any sphere, or have zero actual means to make a change, are collateral punished.

Anyway I know this de-railed (mods feel free to move to OT or whatever)
I was ready to go further here, but I really don't know Mogilny's belief's, nor care much if he does, or doesn't get in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whaddagoal

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Nothing much new about Haula. He wants to be here and we want him back.

Says Timo wants to be a Devil. They're still grinding it out, and they won't rush the process.

Said he was grateful the Devils let him interview with the Pens, so when he wasn't hired, he was openly welcomed back into the Devils fold. He had multiple interviews with them, and may have been a finalist.

He likes Stillman's progression, especially in the 2nd half of the season. He's working to be what the Devils want, and should be in the AHL next year. He sees Stillman as a middle 6 "touth the puck first" winger.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Not that I'm going to, but how much does it cost to subscribe to NJ.com?

No idea, I might end up doing it, but until then I’ll read the excerpts when they’re posted here lol.
I forgot how much I paid, but I signed up exclusively to read Novo's work. I felt like they needed to be rewarded for hiring and retaining him. I think I may have paid like 60 bucks for a year. Like becoming a sponsor here, I decided I get more entertainment out of it than what I pay.

Between subscribing here, there, and Cordell, I pay about as much as I pay to attend a single game, and it keeps me entertained all year, especially over the dog days of summer.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Elias is a borderline guy. Lundqvist is one of the best goalies ever and the best of his generation. He's a clear cut 1st ballot guy.

elias yes is borderline who cares if he leads the devils in a bunch of stats that doesn't make him a great case for the hall of fame. sure there are a bunch of other players with similar stats that are in the hall but to me they shouldn't be in there either. lundqvist i hated him because he was a ranger but he put up some great stats for a long time for a goalie so i can see him getting in.

honestly the hof should be held every x amount of years. to do this yearly just cheapens what it means to be in the hof thats my take

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Nothing much new about Haula. He wants to be here and we want him back.

Says Timo wants to be a Devil. They're still grinding it out, and they won't rush the process.

Said he was grateful the Devils let him interview with the Pens, so when he wasn't hired, he was openly welcomed back into the Devils fold. He had multiple interviews with them, and may have been a finalist.

He likes Stillman's progression, especially in the 2nd half of the season. He's working to be what the Devils want, and should be in the AHL next year. He sees Stillman as a middle 6 "touth the puck first" winger.
Thanks! So nothing new anywhere, Timo progressing positively, Haula too. Good!

Reactions: Nubmer6 and My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad