Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
The last thing I want to do is go out and overpay for a goalie. The core of this team is still developing and locked up for the foreseeable future. Meier will get his pay day and we are going to need him to have a big year especially depending on how free agency and our younger forwards fighting for a spot goes (Holtz , Clarke etc). I just think going out and trading for a goalie is something that should be assessed as the year goes on. Vanaceck really had some good stretches last season but had a bit of a rougher 2nd half of the year. The playoffs he was bad , even in the game we blew out Carolina. He's only signed 2 more years which is perfect just incase he really plays himself out of here. Schmid is going to be playing a big role this year of we move on from Blackwood. I'm pretty content with running a Schmid/Vanaceck tandem this season. I hope Schmid can build off of this past season and become an all star caliber goalie.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Hellebyuck - hell, no.

Over 30 yo goalies stats this year.
1687342747670.png

Price, Schneider, Holtby were good before 30. Thanks. but no.

Last edited:

BronzeAgeDevilsFan

Mar 19, 2023
do any old heads remember what we were paying brodeur nominal and relative to the cap in his infinity year long prime

edit: as soon as i wrote that i realized you can check capfriendly.

1687349491094.png

1687349521409.png

1687349536111.png

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
My Devils-Jets mega deal:
Hellebuyck (50%), Niederreiter, DeMelo for Vanecek, Sharangovich, Casey, 2023 2nd Round Pick, 2025 1st Round Pick

Bratt-J.Hughes-Mercer
Meier($8.5m)-Hischier-Niederreiter
Palat-Huala($3m)-Boqvist($1m)
Lazar-McLeod($2m)-Bastian($1m)

Sigenthaler-Hamilton
L.Hughes-Marino
Bahl($1.5m)-DeMelo

Hellebuyck-Schmid

Extras: Foote, Smith

^That team is cap compliant for 2023/24 season with $1.8m space. First call ups from AHL if injuries would be Holtz, Nemec, Daws.

For 2024/25 they can bank $5m of cap space by replacing Nino's and DeMelo cap hit with Holtz and Nemec.

And with Schneider dead cap removed they would have $7.5m to re-sign Mercer. Any additional cap increase (projected $4m) can be used to re-sign Hellebuyck and/or Schmid.

Only problem with the above scenario (apart from if you think I overpaid for the 3 peg players) is how to do we plan for Luke, Holtz, Nemec projected increase in 2025-26 and 2016-27.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Real issue for me is term. He’s still signed for a year. Anything more than a three year contract (so four years total) is too much IMO.

I’d be ok with the more money for shorter.

The talk is for a sign and trade, what’s your feelings on 8 years?

Gross, right? That’s how I would describe my feelings.

Just to pile on, a poster on the Jets board says we should trade Mercer to get him because we couldn’t afford to pay him any way after giving Helly 8-9m lol (assuming we sign Meier too).

I don’t know what GM would be into that but hopefully just not Fitz.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Other than Vasi, what “great” goalie has won a cup recently? It’s all been JAG’s getting hot at the right time. Makes no sense to pay big money for such a volatile position.

I really don't think it's likely. I could see Fitz make the move as a rental, but I'm not sure what the team would give up for a rental would be sufficient to acquire him

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Lebrun’s full write up about Helle/NJD from his article in the Athletic this morning:

Mutual interest from Devils, Connor Hellebuyck​

As I reported on TSN’s Insider Trading on Tuesday evening, the Devils are among the teams that Connor Hellebuyck would have interest in extending with via a sign-and-trade, and that’s no surprise given New Jersey’s trajectory as a young, rising contender. My understanding is the Devils and Jets have had a preliminary discussion about it. There are other teams involved, too. But finding a way to add the Vezina Trophy finalist is certainly worthy of a conversation if you’re the Devils. That’s a significant upgrade in goal.

On the flip side, the Devils are a pretty progressive front office that just saw unheralded Adin Hill win a Cup with Vegas. The idea of spending big on a No. 1 workhorse might be passe, although Hellebuyck is one of the few truly dependable elite goalies left in the league.

What it might come down to for the Devils is the cost of an extension. If Hellebuyck wants Andrei Vasilevskiy-esque money ($9.5 million average annual value) on a long-term deal, which I have reported, that could be a deal breaker for the Devils. If Hellebuyck were willing to take less to go to New Jersey, I think the Devils might entertain it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The team I think that should be most interested in Hellebuyck is Pittsburgh, they have their 1st this year and it's a mid-round pick, they can send over a bad contract also, and maybe DeSmith. They're nearing the end of their run and have all sorts of space for him.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I wouldn’t touch Wheeler with a ten foot pole. He’s part of the toxic “leadership” group with that turd Schiefle.

I find it so funny how you guys talk as if you actually have an idea of what is going on inside these NHL locker rooms.

None of you have any basis of knowledge or personal experience to say something like this.

Blake Wheeler may be bought out by Winnipeg. Obviously not the player he once was, but a forward with size and a RHS would be an interesting addition to this forward group.

Depending on what he's looking for on term and AAV, I'd definitely be interested. I'd be willing to take him at 50% retained salary if Winnipeg is interested in that. There has been some reports about his issues in Winnipeg, but all of that could be complete BS. I assume our hockey ops staff would be able to make a proper evaluation if he is a fit with our group.

Reactions: PK

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
My Devils-Jets mega deal:
Hellebuyck (50%), Niederreiter, DeMelo for Vanecek, Sharangovich, Casey, 2023 2nd Round Pick, 2025 1st Round Pick

Bratt-J.Hughes-Mercer
Meier($8.5m)-Hischier-Niederreiter
Palat-Huala($3m)-Boqvist($1m)
Lazar-McLeod($2m)-Bastian($1m)

Sigenthaler-Hamilton
L.Hughes-Marino
Bahl($1.5m)-DeMelo

Hellebuyck-Schmid

Extras: Foote, Smith

^That team is cap compliant for 2023/24 season with $1.8m space. First call ups from AHL if injuries would be Holtz, Nemec, Daws.

For 2024/25 they can bank $5m of cap space by replacing Nino's and DeMelo cap hit with Holtz and Nemec.

And with Schneider dead cap removed they would have $7.5m to re-sign Mercer. Any additional cap increase (projected $4m) can be used to re-sign Hellebuyck and/or Schmid.

Only problem with the above scenario (apart from if you think I overpaid for the 3 peg players) is how to do we plan for Luke, Holtz, Nemec projected increase in 2025-26 and 2016-27.

Replace Niederreiter with Kyle Connor from the Jets side, and add Alex Holtz and Topias Vilen from the Devils side. And let's do it up!

Other than Vasi, what “great” goalie has won a cup recently? It’s all been JAG’s getting hot at the right time. Makes no sense to pay big money for such a volatile position.

I agree with this statement.

However I would pay big money for an elite goalie who was the right age - which Hellebuyck is not.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The talk is for a sign and trade, what’s your feelings on 8 years?

Gross, right? That’s how I would describe my feelings.

Just to pile on, a poster on the Jets board says we should trade Mercer to get him because we couldn’t afford to pay him any way after giving Helly 8-9m lol (assuming we sign Meier too).

I don’t know what GM would be into that but hopefully just not Fitz.
Ya, unless Fitz see's his current role as NJ GM as a stepping stone to a GM job with one of the original 6 teams, ie win now in NJ then jump before Hellebuyck breaks down, I can't see why he would consider Helle on an 8 year deal.

The probability of an 8 year deal being awful while Jack, Luke, Nemec are still in their prime is very high. Just doesn't make sense.

Could Helle consider a 4 year deal?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I responded to a similar post recently but didn't follow up on the discussion.

But lets not diminish the importance of top notch goal tending because there has been a lack of cup winners recently. Would be similar to saying "why would you want McDavid, he hasn't won a cup".

Shesterkin didn't even win a round this past season, but he is still a dependable impact player, that helped the Rags win playoff games, and he would benefit any team he was on.

Yes you can win without a high end goalie, but a high end goalie is still a great thing to have.

Now, I want no part of a long term contract with Helle, and I'm not even sure why we aren't more confident in Schmid, but if we think our guys are merely JAG level(and Vitek does look to be that) then I'm all for looking to upgrade the position.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Enough with the criticism. People make bad jokes to amuse themselves. It's not against the terms of service and maybe instead of mocking those who make the bad jokes you can make some yourself. It's easy to say others are not up to your standards of humor. If the best you have is a flying pig you shouldn't be discouraging others. I'd use your comments in response to my posts as further examples of your transgressions but since my posts are chock full of hilarity it would be comparing apples to oranges.

Reactions: glenwo2

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Could Helle consider a 4 year deal?
Probably if he is paid $9.25m per season That takes him to age 34 which is the one year more that Vasi will be when his contract is up with Tampa.

If the team wants to lower the cap hit to $7m-$8m per season then it probably needs to be a 6 year deal which takes Helle to age 37 which is the same age that Bob will be when his contract with Panthers expire.

Last edited:
Reactions: devilsblood

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I find it so funny how you guys talk as if you actually have an idea of what is going on inside these NHL locker rooms.

None of you have any basis of knowledge or personal experience to say something like this.

Depending on what he's looking for on term and AAV, I'd definitely be interested. I'd be willing to take him at 50% retained salary if Winnipeg is interested in that. There has been some reports about his issues in Winnipeg, but all of that could be complete BS. I assume our hockey ops staff would be able to make a proper evaluation if he is a fit with our group.

Wheeler at over 4 mil is absolutely f***ing absurd. I don’t give a shit about the reports of him in the room because on the ice he makes things clear enough. He has no regard for defense

Probably if he is paid $9.25m per season That takes him to age 34 which is the same age that Vasi will be when his contract is up with Tampa.

If the team wants to lower the cap hit to $7m-$8m per season then it probably needs to be a 6 year deal which takes Helle to age 37 which is the same age that Bob will be when his contract with Panthers expire.

I wouldn’t be doing anything more than like 7x5 or 8x4. That’d be a big discount because some dummy would be bound to pay him as a UFA

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Wheeler at over 4 mil is absolutely f***ing absurd. I don’t give a shit about the reports of him in the room because on the ice he makes things clear enough. He has no regard for defense

I wouldn’t be doing anything more than like 7x5 or 8x4. That’d be a big discount because some dummy would be bound to pay him as a UFA
I think NJ is at the point where players are realizing the team is good and they want to be part of it. Of course it may not be a fit with Helle.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

Lol okay dude, I’m literally just going off public reports that have been made over the years. What else am I supposed to go off of? What super secret intel do you have to prove otherwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad