Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I love the idea in theory, but the cost will be too exorbitant at the end of the day to bring Hellebuyck in and extend him.

I’m ok with Schmid and Vitek heading into the year.

Reactions: Hisch13r

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I think if you believe Hellebuyck is even kinda a good idea, you would have to take into account that he doesn't want to be in Winn and I can't think of a single other team he would "want" to play for that would pay him 8x9.5 or any teams for the matter...

So with that you have some negotiating power. I don't know what a good contract would look like when accounting for whatever the trade would be, but you have to imagine with the way Fitz has been, he knows damn well that 8 years could be a death sentence depending on the $.

Everyone wants a proven goalie, but I have no doubt Fitz is thinking the same thing we all are, so if we do get him I have faith it will be for something stomachable.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think if you believe Hellebuyck is even kinda a good idea, you would have to take into account that he doesn't want to be in Winn and I can't think of a single other team he would "want" to play for that would pay him 8x9.5 or any teams for the matter...

So with that you have some negotiating power. I don't know what a good contract would look like when accounting for whatever the trade would be, but you have to imagine with the way Fitz has been, he knows damn well that 8 years could be a death sentence depending on the $.

Everyone wants a proven goalie, but I have no doubt Fitz is thinking the same thing we all are, so if we do get him I have faith it will be for something stomachable.

I really wouldn’t want to go more than like 7x5 and if you’re Helle that’s probably a big discount compared to what he could get

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I think this team would be one of the top cup contenders next season with Hellebuyck. Even losing Severson, Graves, etc that would be massive addition.

Now, with having said that partner

It just wouldn't work out. Unless he's taking a 3 year deal at 4M per then I'm not interested lol. Adin Hill just won the cup. Elite goalies are great, but you don't really need one you just need your average goalie to play elite at the right time.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think this team would be one of the top cup contenders next season with Hellebuyck. Even losing Severson, Graves, etc that would be massive addition.

Now, with having said that partner

It just wouldn't work out. Unless he's taking a 3 year deal at 4M per then I'm not interested lol. Adin Hill just won the cup. Elite goalies are great, but you don't really need one you just need your average goalie to play elite at the right time.

I really don’t think we’re going to take as big of a hit on the backend as people think. Like it’ll probably be somewhat worse but I don’t think by much

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Gonna start off by saying I definitely missed a legendary gif party after Game 7 v NYR. That series ended up taking a ton off of my life. The Carolina series ended up being what I expected fo the most part. Their forecheck absolutely murdered our defense, Ryan Graves looked like dog shit in that series, Vitek had no business playing that game 4 and got bombarded. Wasn't too mad that they lost game 5 but more disappointed they played like that in Carolina in just one of three tries. As for the news this offseason, I was pretty hard on Bratt after game 2 v NYR but that contract is tremendous value. Hopefully Timo comes under in 9M but I have my doubts. And then the news with Hellebuyck, I would 100% avoid him unless they bring him as a rental which I highly doubt. Also happy Sevo got his payday even though he went in division, CBJ will regret that deal from year 5-6 but that's UFA for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Never thought of it before, but can you sign and trade with retention? Wnnipeg can give him 9 million and then trade him to us at 50%.

It will never happen, but I thought it sounded interesting.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I really don’t think we’re going to take as big of a hit on the backend as people think. Like it’ll probably be somewhat worse but I don’t think by much

We won't, the only worry would be how Luke holds up to a full year + playoffs but I have no doubts Luke can do what Graves did this year and more. And I don't think Bahl-Nemec would get eaten up either especially if Bahl keeps playing like he did to end the regular season + R1.

Reactions: My3Sons

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Never thought of it before, but can you sign and trade with retention? Wnnipeg can give him 9 million and then trade him to us at 50%.

It will never happen, but I thought it sounded interesting.
What's would Winnipeg incentive to do that? They are not carrying a $4.5m cap hit for multiple years

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Getting Hellebuyck for one year while Schmid to become the full time backup isn’t the worst idea. Giving him a big extension is a bad idea.
These are my thoughts. I would love to test drive Hellebuyck as Devils number 1 next season.

With regards to extension, i'll be open to it at $7-8m cap hit, if Helle continues to produce elite numbers and helps Devils make a conference or stanley cup final, BUT it is not going to work unless Palat or Dougie is traded or on LTIR.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
We won't, the only worry would be how Luke holds up to a full year + playoffs but I have no doubts Luke can do what Graves did this year and more. And I don't think Bahl-Nemec would get eaten up either especially if Bahl keeps playing like he did to end the regular season + R1.

I think the goal is Luke to replace enough of Sevo and Bahl to replace enough of Graves. I don't think either can give you 100% of what the other 2 did last year but they'll give you enough. I think a Bahl-Nemec pair would get pretty eaten up to start the year. Would depend on how they'd develop throughout the year. I also would rather run Bahl with Marino or Siegs with Marino than Luke. I like the idea of having a shutdown pair and we wouldn't have one with Bahl-Nemec unless you go full balls to the wall with Luke-Dougie which I doubt

These are my thoughts. I would love to test drive Hellebuyck as Devils number 1 next season.

With regards to extension, i'll be open to it at $7-8m cap hit, if Helle continues to produce elite numbers and helps Devils make a conference or stanley cup final, BUT it is not going to work unless Palat or Dougie is traded or on LTIR.

Palat's got to go in 2 years as is. Having him at 34 and 6 mil when we're also going to have Mercer and Luke on big boy deals is going to be bad.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Blake Wheeler may be bought out by Winnipeg. Obviously not the player he once was, but a forward with size and a RHS would be an interesting addition to this forward group.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Blake Wheeler may be bought out by Winnipeg. Obviously not the player he once was, but a forward with size and a RHS would be an interesting addition to this forward group.

I have basically no interest. There's very who players in the league who have as little interest in playing defense as Wheeler does and he's not the offensive player he once was to justify that anymore.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So if Patty was the best forward on two cup winning Leaf or Hab teams with over 1,000 career points in the dead puck era he wouldn’t be in? I find that hard to believe.

Oh, I’m guessing/assuming there’s some Canadian bias, but that’s different because then most of the teams in the NHL aren’t getting love.

How many post-Dynasty Habs are in for what they did on the Habs anyway? Pretty sure none, so your hypothetical is doing some imaginary work there too.

But sure, they eventually ushered in every sort of important player on the Edmonton Oilers dynasty. That group is epitome of the Old Boys Club (while the Islanders Dynasty is not so much apparently, since Butch Goring isn’t in).

I’m not arguing against Elias, he’s also basically my favorite all time forward. I have to be realistic about my own bias though. He has his supporters but I’ve also read a share of writers who were not for him getting in either.

It’s not like 1,000 points is some an automatic in and having only one all-star appearance and no hardware hurts. He also isn’t in 500 goal club unfortunately.

His playoffs and Cups do matter. I think the ridiculous upswing in scoring might remind people of when no one was scoring and maybe get them to adjust points.

Even forwards stumble in there eventually, if Elias hangs around NA hockey and seems cool about going in later on then he does have a real solid chance. Acting like this should happen, and it should, is the best way to support him. It’s not shocking that he isn’t in yet though. It sucks, but it’s understandable.

Carbonneau, retired 2000, Class of 2019 (19 years)
Mark Howe, retired 1995, Class of 2011 (16 years)
Glenn Anderson, retired 1996, Class of 2008 (12 years)
Andreychuk, retired 2006, Class of 2017 (11 years)
Ciccarelli, retired 1999, Class of 2010 (11 years)
Oates, retired 2004, Class of 2012 (8 years)
Kariya, retired 2010, Class of 2017 (7 years)
Recchi, retired 2011, Class of 2011 (6 years)
Elias, retired 2016 (so 7 years and counting)

One theory about Mogilny is they’re worried he might not give a shit and not even show up. (I find it hard to believe they can’t just check with him but I guess this is more about voter vibes).

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Ok well I missed a ton of shit because of getting sent to the HFBoards gulag after game 2 v NYR on the main board thread. :laugh: Gonna start off by saying I definitely missed a legendary gif party after Game 7 v NYR. That series ended up taking a ton off of my life. The Carolina series ended up being what I expected fo the most part. Their forecheck absolutely murdered our defense, Ryan Graves looked like dog shit in that series, Vitek had no business playing that game 4 and got bombarded. Wasn't too mad that they lost game 5 but more disappointed they played like that in Carolina in just one of three tries. As for the news this offseason, I was pretty hard on Bratt after game 2 v NYR but that contract is tremendous value. Hopefully Timo comes under in 9M but I have my doubts. And then the news with Hellebuyck, I would 100% avoid him unless they bring him as a rental which I highly doubt. Also happy Sevo got his payday even though he went in division, CBJ will regret that deal from year 5-6 but that's UFA for you.

432D9DB6-56F2-4BC3-AC3F-9CA5F938A3A6.gif

I kid, but you must have been a bad boy for a month long full time out lol. (Not even sure how that works but I’m ‘lil angel.)

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Oh, I’m guessing/assuming there’s some Canadian bias, but that’s different because then most of the teams in the NHL aren’t getting love.

How many post-Dynasty Habs are in for what they did on the Habs anyway? Pretty sure none, so your hypothetical is doing some imaginary work there too.

But sure, they eventually ushered in every sort of important player on the Edmonton Oilers dynasty. That group is epitome of the Old Boys Club (while the Islanders Dynasty is not so much apparently, since Butch Goring isn’t in).

I’m not arguing against Elias, he’s also basically my favorite all time forward. I have to be realistic about my own bias though. He has his supporters but I’ve also read a share of writers who were not for him getting in either.

It’s not like 1,000 points is some an automatic in and having only one all-star appearance and no hardware hurts. He also isn’t in 500 goal club unfortunately.

His playoffs and Cups do matter. I think the ridiculous upswing in scoring might remind people of when no one was scoring and maybe get them to adjust points.

Even forwards stumble in there eventually, if Elias hangs around NA hockey and seems cool about going in later on then he does have a real solid chance. Acting like this should happen, and it should, is the best way to support him. It’s not shocking that he isn’t in yet though. It sucks, but it’s understandable.

Carbonneau, retired 2000, Class of 2019 (19 years)
Mark Howe, retired 1995, Class of 2011 (16 years)
Glenn Anderson, retired 1996, Class of 2008 (12 years)
Andreychuk, retired 2006, Class of 2017 (11 years)
Ciccarelli, retired 1999, Class of 2010 (11 years)
Oates, retired 2004, Class of 2012 (8 years)
Kariya, retired 2010, Class of 2017 (7 years)
Recchi, retired 2011, Class of 2011 (6 years)
Elias, retired 2016 (so 7 years and counting)

One theory about Mogilny is they’re worried he might not give a shit and not even show up. (I find it hard to believe they can’t just check with him but I guess this is more about voter vibes).

goring's helmet belongs in the hall of fame.

...chico's isles mask (among other artifacts) is on display just outside the paying entrance to the hall

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
Getting Hellebuyck for one year while Schmid to become the full time backup isn’t the worst idea. Giving him a big extension is a bad idea.

It's not a good idea at all because the cost will most likely be too high. Someone will undoubtably want to try to sign him long-term and will push the bidding up.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Still looking at 7-8 mil on the low end and that’s way to much for a goalie pushing 30
Real issue for me is term. He’s still signed for a year. Anything more than a three year contract (so four years total) is too much IMO.

I’d be ok with the more money for shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad