Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think NJ is at the point where players are realizing the team is good and they want to be part of it. Of course it may not be a fit with Helle.

Sure but that’s probably to take a slight discount. Like Bratt was banging the drum for over 8 for 8 years and got just under 8. Hellebuyck’s asking for 9.5 granted we don’t know the term but in order to make this a palatable deal he’d be taking a massive discount. If he’s willing to take like 15-20+ mil sure but I highly doubt that

Reactions: PK and My3Sons

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Wheeler at over 4 mil is absolutely f***ing absurd. I don’t give a shit about the reports of him in the room because on the ice he makes things clear enough. He has no regard for defense

:laugh::laugh: $4.13M on a 1 year deal for a 6 foot 5 right handed RW who put up 55 pts in 72 games last year and 60 pts in 65 games the year before. Yeah that is absolutely f***ing absurd!

Reactions: PK

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Lol okay dude, I’m literally just going off public reports that have been made over the years. What else am I supposed to go off of? What super secret intel do you have to prove otherwise?

Okay, if this is such public knowledge, can you show me just one of these "public reports" that have made you so confident about Wheeler's toxic leadership?

I have zero super secret intel to prove otherwise, just as you have zero super secret intel to prove he's toxic. That's exactly my point.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Okay, if this is such public knowledge, can you show me just one of these "public reports" that have made you so confident about Wheeler's toxic leadership?

I have zero super secret intel to prove otherwise, just as you have zero super secret intel to prove he's toxic. That's exactly my point.

And Maurice threw up his hands and gave up…there’s definitely some fire behind that smoke when two different coaches have major issues with the same group in a short period of time

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Other than Vasi, what “great” goalie has won a cup recently? It’s all been JAG’s getting hot at the right time. Makes no sense to pay big money for such a volatile position.

Vasi is on his second deal that he got after his 3 year bridge, it might cost a lot but it ends when he’s 33.

It’s very much not the same, it’s the equivalent of Hellebuyck’s current deal, just pricier. He got signed right before the cap froze.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I see why they'd entertain the notion - there's an opportunity to do something special with a young team amidst a lot of turnover from older squads. I do think they could "steal" a cup before they're supposed to. But I'd rather not mess with the cap structure of what's the obvious prime of everyone - 3-4 years from now.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
What would Sharangovic cost to acquire and whats his next contract looking like?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
What would Sharangovic cost to acquire and whats his next contract looking like?

I've been reading he could fetch us a late 2nd/early 3rd. Personally, I would prefer a 3rd pairing RHD with 1 or 2 years remaining on his contract, or a checking 3rd line center/wing.

I'm guessing his contract will be probably in the range of 2-3 years at around 2.5-3M.

AFP Analytics' algorithm has him at 3.2M at 3 years.

Reactions: My3Sons and BHawk21

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

And Maurice threw up his hands and gave up…there’s definitely some fire behind that smoke when two different coaches have major issues with the same group in a short period of time

And this proves that Wheeler is toxic how?

Helly’s ask is waaaaaaaay too much, cmon.

Some dude in net I never heard of until the conference finals just won the cup. :laugh:

Stick with what we got unless something insane lands in our lap.

This.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

I'm assuming a second or third if not a hockey trade.

Contract depends on length. 2 years until ufa, I believe. Sign him to two years, wouldn't be surprised if it's around 2.75 or so. But out a ufa year and it goes up. @Nubmer6 mentioned afp, and I believe evolving hockey has a three year deal at 3.5

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

Probably the equivalent of a 2nd round pick + something else small. Like a 2nd + a 5th.

Next contract probably a 1/2/3 year deal anywhere from $1.5M - $2.5M AAV.

I'm assuming a second or third if not a hockey trade.

Contract depends on length. 2 years until ufa, I believe. Sign him to two years, wouldn't be surprised if it's around 2.75 or so. But out a ufa year and it goes up. @Nubmer6 mentioned afp, and I believe evolving hockey has a three year deal at 3.5

Sharg just made $2 million this past year, and I don't think he did all that much to earn a $750K raise to be honest.

Reactions: BHawk21

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Admittedly, there’s been a lot of reports of how toxic that dressing room has been during his time there.

You can look at all the Byfuglien stuff for one. Hayes and Eakin both blasted the locker room after leaving. Laine too to a Finnish outlet. Maurice quitting and Bowness going off on them is another outside example. Just Google toxic Winnipeg Jets.

As the captain of the Jets during this entire time, it does wave some questions. There’s definitely an argument there to stay away, but in terms of his skill set, he would be an amazing addition to this forward group.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Admittedly, there’s been a lot of reports of how toxic that dressing room has been during his time there.

You can look at all the Byfuglien stuff for one. Hayes and Eakin both blasted the locker room after leaving. Laine too to a Finnish outlet. Maurice quitting and Bowness going off on them is another outside example. Just Google toxic Winnipeg Jets.

As the captain of the Jets during this entire time, it does wave some questions. There’s definitely an argument there to stay away, but in terms of his skill set, he would be an amazing addition to this forward group.

100% there are some questions. Many questions. But there are just as many questions about Wheeler as there are about Hellebuyck, and Scheifele, and Connor, and Ehlers, and Morrissey, and Lowry. The reality is nobody on this board knows a damn thing.

That's why I get a laugh out of people on this message board talking about Blake Wheeler in absolutes as if he's some horrible guy. These people have zero clue lol.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Lebrun’s full write up about Helle/NJD from his article in the Athletic this morning:

Mutual interest from Devils, Connor Hellebuyck​

As I reported on TSN’s Insider Trading on Tuesday evening, the Devils are among the teams that Connor Hellebuyck would have interest in extending with via a sign-and-trade, and that’s no surprise given New Jersey’s trajectory as a young, rising contender. My understanding is the Devils and Jets have had a preliminary discussion about it. There are other teams involved, too. But finding a way to add the Vezina Trophy finalist is certainly worthy of a conversation if you’re the Devils. That’s a significant upgrade in goal.

On the flip side, the Devils are a pretty progressive front office that just saw unheralded Adin Hill win a Cup with Vegas. The idea of spending big on a No. 1 workhorse might be passe, although Hellebuyck is one of the few truly dependable elite goalies left in the league.

What it might come down to for the Devils is the cost of an extension. If Hellebuyck wants Andrei Vasilevskiy-esque money ($9.5 million average annual value) on a long-term deal, which I have reported, that could be a deal breaker for the Devils. If Hellebuyck were willing to take less to go to New Jersey, I think the Devils might entertain it.

It’s a weird situation. Market price is definitely ~8.5m. It’s just that deal will be a bear from the start.

If you add the cost for a back-up then you’re paying too much for goaltending. So the moment he slips it’s going to be brutal and it will be unmovable if there’s term left. And unlike Cory he’s going to get signing bonuses and a NMC.

The idea of spending assets to sign a UFA deal that is likely a huge mistake is just painful. And they expect to get good shit for him and he wants to be extended with the trade. The whole thing makes my teeth hurt thinking about it.

And I’m a big fan of the guy, but he doesn’t make sense for a younger competitive team. You can’t commit longterm like that to a 30 year old goalie, it’s nuts. It’s a desperation move for a team that wants goaltending to save them in the short term. Some Pens fans are interested lol.

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
That's why I get a laugh out of people on this message board talking about Blake Wheeler in absolutes as if he's some horrible guy. These people have zero clue lol.
People here definitely like to talk in absolutes. I guess it's an internet thing.

That being said, I wouldn't say they have zero clue either. There's been enough reports out of there that it's more of an educated guess.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
It’s a weird situation. Market price is definitely ~8.5m. It’s just that deal will be a bear from the start.

If you add the cost for a back-up then you’re paying too much for goaltending. So the moment he slips it’s going to be brutal and it will be unmovable if there’s term left. And unlike Cory he’s going to get signing bonuses.

The idea of spending assets to sign a UFA deal that is likely a huge mistake is just painful. And they expect to get good shit for him and he wants to be extended with the trade. The whole thing makes my teeth hurt thinking about it.

And I’m a big fan of the guy, but he doesn’t make sense for a younger competitive team. You can’t commit longterm like that to a 30 year old goalie, it’s nuts. It’s a desperation move for a team that wants goaltending to save them in the short term. Some Pens fans are interested lol.

Yep, agreed. It’s cool and pretty validating that Hellebyuck apparently sees NJ as a good place to be long term, but it just doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
People here definitely like to talk in absolutes. I guess it's an internet thing.

That being said, I wouldn't say they have zero clue either. There's been enough reports out of there that it's more of an educated guess.

In that case, people should say something along the lines of "I'd rather stay away, if the reports about him are true"

As opposed to ... "I wouldn’t touch Wheeler with a ten foot pole. He’s part of the toxic “leadership” group with that turd Schiefle."

As if this guy knows anything about Wheeler or Scheifele :laugh::laugh:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Probably the equivalent of a 2nd round pick + something else small. Like a 2nd + a 5th.

Next contract probably a 1/2/3 year deal anywhere from $1.5M - $2.5M AAV.

Sharg just made $2 million this past year, and I don't think he did all that much to earn a $750K raise to be honest.

Weird situation for Rango and the Devils, which is why I think we are going to move on. He struggled last year with a slightly different role and some really rough shooting (I think he only shot about 2/3 of what he shot the previous two years), but his previous years would certainly support a higher salary. I mean, look around the league at guys making 3.5 million. Hard to argue he shouldn't make it if you're buying out a free agent year.

I'm pretty sure that he's arbitration eligible and I think he would have a strong case of getting a 750K raise for sure.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Hellebuyck is only enticing if he is willing to cut a max term deal into like 3 or 4 years at most. Keep in mind, the new deal wouldn't kick in until 2024-2025.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Hellyebuck would be a good fit for a team like the Sabres to help mentor UPL and Levi while giving them great goaltending. He would be a good add here but I'm not to keen on giving up big assests for a goalie. Buffalo is a team that is desperate to get back into the playoffs while we can atleaat get there with what we have now. We need to give the team another year or so to evaluate what needs to upgrading , not panic and overpay 30 year old goalie in need of one last big payday.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad