Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I get not wanting to send the message that you are giving up on the team, but the team and coaching staff might actually benefit from that wake up call. Again, my biggest gripe with Fitz is his extreme loyalty to his people. Sometimes you do have to ruffle feathers. It might be the toughest part of the job or a relatively inexperienced GM.
This…there is a difference between ‘Fillip Forsberg for Martin Erat’ type of desperation and just flat out holding people accountable here while it’s not too late to actually benefit this season (though it likely is now)

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I get not wanting to send the message that you are giving up on the team, but the team and coaching staff might actually benefit from that wake up call. Again, my biggest gripe with Fitz is his extreme loyalty to his people. Sometimes you do have to ruffle feathers. It might be the toughest part of the job for a relatively inexperienced GM.

Look at who he was an assistant GM to, it's obvious why he does it. We all said Shero's downfall was his loyalty to Hynes, looks like Fitz is trying to tempt the same fate

Honestly, he is going to. If you saw the STH renewal email, they made the main selling point priority access and information about the 2024 PLayoffs. Its the only thing in bold and italics lol.

Ownership wants the team to make it, for more then just team success lol.

Email Below:
View attachment 816991

What a dumbass franchise

This…there is a difference between ‘Fillip Forsberg for Martin Erat’ type of desperation and just flat out holding people accountable here while it’s not too late to actually benefit this season (though it likely is now)

The Gritsyuk for a has been goalie trade will have the same ring to it sooner or later.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

It's super obvious it's not the players that are the issue (outside of goaltending, but the goaltending issues are much more emphasized by this system). Just a simple coaching change would fix quite a lot of the issues. A smart GM should do that first, then assess where to patch up roster issues.

It was so damn obvious last night, outside of Jesper Bratt and Jack Hughes, no one on this team can break out of defensive zone because the only way to do it in this stupid system is to skate it out yourself. So many other issues with this system but it's been mentioned so many times at this point.

I'd much rather they fire rogalski and ruff and then assess whether Daws could take up the future #1 role. Trading top prospects for another average goalie under this lame duck coach and crappy system is gunna be such a bad move.

Trading prospects for any players in any other position is going to be a bad move as well.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Yes, lets trade away players for assets who won't be ready till the 2026-2027 season. Who cares if we suck balls till then because eventually we'll be perennial contenders.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Yes, lets trade away players for assets who won't be ready till the 2026-2027 season. Who cares if we suck balls till then because eventually we'll be perennial contenders.

You have to keep adding prospects. The guys we draf this year won’t be ready but Casey, Hameenaho, and Gritsyuk will be, and they’re recent 2nd and 4th rounders.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Fitz is running out of time. If he wants to make a trade he needs to already trade for a Jake Allen or Kappo Kahkonen now.
Right. But it’s even worse than that. The time was three weeks ago! I’d argue it’s already too late.

You have to keep adding prospects. The guys we draf this year won’t be ready but Casey, Hameenaho, and Gritsyuk will be, and they’re recent 2nd and 4th rounders.
Not to mention trading Toffoli likely nets you another first that you can use to trade for a goalie in the summer.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Just throw these lines together and hope they can surprise us in Carolina.

Palat Hischier Bratt
Toffoli Hughes Meier
Mercer Haula Holtz
Lazar Nosek Bastian

Reactions: Saugus and My3Sons

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
It's super obvious it's not the players that are the issue (outside of goaltending, but the goaltending issues are much more emphasized by this system). Just a simple coaching change would fix quite a lot of the issues. A smart GM should do that first, then assess where to patch up roster issues.

It was so damn obvious last night, outside of Jesper Bratt and Jack Hughes, no one on this team can break out of defensive zone because the only way to do it in this stupid system is to skate it out yourself. So many other issues with this system but it's been mentioned so many times at this point.

I'd much rather they fire rogalski and ruff and then assess whether Daws could take up the future #1 role. Trading top prospects for another average goalie under this lame duck coach and crappy system is gunna be such a bad move.

Trading prospects for any players in any other position is going to be a bad move as well.

I know nothing about systems but I do know Luke and Nemec can sling a puck wherever they want

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_3707.jpeg

IMG_3706.jpeg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Just throw these lines together and hope they can surprise us in Carolina.

Palat Hischier Bratt
Toffoli Hughes Meier
Mercer Haula Holtz
Lazar Nosek Bastian
I'd probably put Meier with Hischier and Bratt to maybe get him going. I don't want Jack having to drag Meier around while he's just returning from injury. Put Palat with Hughes and Toffoli so someone plays some defense on that line. It's Ruff so we know for sure that Holtz will be banished to the locker room if he has the unmitigated gall to score a goal, or if Meier plays poorly again.

Reactions: Nubmer6

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Also not for nothing, we all bitch about Rogalski, why would you BRING in a big goalie just for him to coach said goalie? Clean the f***ing out of the coaching staff + get a goalie in the summer. You're just putting lipstick on a pig and trying to appease this fanbase that thinks one player saves all

Tyler Toffoli is literally a Cup champion lol

I get the point you're making here but 2014 LAK played in a different era. They wouldn't win a Cup playing like that nowadays with how the speed/tempo of the sport has ratched up way more.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Toffoli would definitely help in the playoffs where the pace of the game is naturally slower due to teams playing tighter

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I posted before about Wheeler’s Prospect Pool Rankings in The Athletic. 2024 NHL prospect pool rankings: Scott Wheeler's annual countdown

He’s up to 26 now.

All the lists have 15 players unless noted.
32 (-5) NYI
31 (-7) FLA
30 (0) BOS
29 (+2) TBL
28 (-10) TOR
27 (+2) PIT/ 12 players
26 (+6) COL/ 10 players

To be eligible for inclusion, a skater must:
  1. Be under 23 years old. We know that by the time a player turns 23, he is largely done with the steep upward progression we see in prospects and will begin to plateau.
  2. Not be a full-time NHL player. This is the arbitrary section of the criteria. Here, I trust my judgment for whether or not a rostered NHL player is still likely to bounce between levels more than I trust any pre-determined games played cutoff. Preference for inclusion as an NHL prospect is more likely to be given to teenagers than 22-year-olds.
  3. Either be signed to an NHL contract or selected in the entry draft, without the expiration of either of those rights. Players who are signed to AHL contracts are not considered.
To be eligible for inclusion, a goalie must:
  1. Be under 25 years old. This age criteria is more reflective of the typical goalie trajectory, allowing for the continued consideration of a small number of 23- and 24-year-old goalies who are very much still prospects.
  2. Not currently established as one of their NHL club’s two go-to options.
  3. Either be signed to an NHL contract or selected in the entry draft, without the expiration of either of those rights. Goalies who are signed to AHL contracts are not considered.

I’m mentioning it again because if Nemec has graduated we’re going to be appearing very soon.

IMG_3455.jpeg

IMG_3456.jpeg

All the teams listed were pretty easy to predict, having some mix of: no 2023 1st, a light 2023 draft, previously traded 1sts/light drafts, very thin pools and/or no blue chip prospect.

It’s harder to imagine many more teams going before us.

Florida
Why: #26 in 2022, didn’t have 2023 1st and had a light draft.
Why Not: They have more depth than the listed teams and Wheeler liked Sawchyn.

Vancouver
Why: was #28, 6 guys from their 2023 list won’t be there, plus the dude they traded.
Why Not: Wallinder is a bit meh, but Lekkerimaki’s stock is way up.
Also Podkolzin “graduated” last year, but maybe he returns since he’s in the AHL.

Edmonton
Why: No 2023 1st and thin draft. No one is lighting up Bakersfield.
Why Not: Was #21 and only a couple of graduates.

Vegas
Why: some notable losses, light draft
Why Not: Their 2023 late 1st is in the SHL, more quality depth than listed teams

And that’s it. #22 is the lowest I realistically see us coming in, assuming Nemec isn’t on the list. So a -20 drop.

Wanted to get a public prediction in because I love being wrong.

Edit: Added Vegas, but still leaving #22 as my guess because I’m not convinced we pass all four of these teams.

Edit two Electric Boogaloo: I will add Calgary and Dallas as long shots for teams to pass, but that’s unlikely.

I’m quoting myself like a psychopath because I ended being right for once on a ranking guess, we came in 22nd Wheeler’s Prospect Pool Rankings today.

From the old post (each list has 15 prospects if not listed as less).
32 (-5) NYI
31 (-7) FLA
30 (0) BOS
29 (+2) TBL
28 (-10) TOR
27 (+2) PIT/ 12 players
26 (+6) COL/ 10 players
And then we did pass 3 of the 4 teams I listed.
25 (-4) EDM/ 13 players
24 (+2) FLA/ 14 players
23 (0) VGK
22 (-20) NJD

The big shocker is we’re 22nd with Nemec, though he graduated Schmid. I guess the loss of depth hurt us more than Nemec and few players could make up. (Not sure how we didn’t beat VAN with Nemec but whatever lol.)

As you can see, we graduated 7 players and all 8 eligible players returned.

We manage to fill 5 of the 7 open spots. As predicted, the 2023 draftees were the three Wheeler liked before the draft: Hameenaho, Karpovich and Squires.

His final cut from last year, Orlov, and Edwards finish the list.

I thought we might get to 15 with Malek and Schlaine, since both were honorable mentions last year, but only Malek remains as a HM.

It seems like Wheeler is being more selective this year with who he includes. Last year only the thinnest of pools had 14 players. This time he’s culled a lot of fringier players so several pools have way less than 15.

2023 (graduates crossed out)IMG_3456.jpeg
IMG_3280.jpeg
vs
IMG_3458.jpeg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Also not for nothing, we all bitch about Rogalski, why would you BRING in a big goalie just for him to coach said goalie? Clean the f***ing out of the coaching staff + get a goalie in the summer. You're just putting lipstick on a pig and trying to appease this fanbase that thinks one player saves all
I've been saying the same thing for a while now.

People keep saying fire Ruff and think that bringing in the new guy and giving him the same JUNK in net is gonna save the season.

Or that giving the same INCOMPETENT HACK goalie coach a new goalie is gonna somehow help lol.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I’m quoting myself like a psychopath because I ended being right for once on a ranking guess, we came in 22nd Wheeler’s Prospect Pool Rankings today.

32 (-5) NYI
31 (-7) FLA
30 (0) BOS
29 (+2) TBL
28 (-10) TOR
27 (+2) PIT/ 12 players
26 (+6) COL/ 10 players
25 (-4) EDM/ 13 players
24 (+2) FLA/ 14 players
23 (0) VGK
22 (-20) NJD

The big shocker is we’re 22nd with Nemec, though he graduated Schmid. I guess the loss of depth hurt us more than Nemec and few players could make up. (Not sure how we didn’t beat VAN with Nemec but whatever lol.)

We manage to fill 5 of the 7 open spots. As predicted, the 2023 draftees were the three Wheeler liked before the draft: Hameenaho, Karpovich and Squires.

I thought we might get to 15 with Malek and Schlaine, since both were honorable mentions last year, but only Malek remains as a HM.

It seems like Wheeler is being more selective this year with who he includes. Last year only the thinnest of pools had 14 players. This time he’s culled a lot of fringier players so several pools have way less than 15.

2023 (graduates crossed out)View attachment 817010View attachment 817012
vs
View attachment 817015
No spoilers? :(

• Haha
Reactions: Guttersniped

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

32 (-5) NYI
31 (-7) FLA
30 (0) BOS
29 (+2) TBL
28 (-10) TOR
27 (+2) PIT/ 12 players
26 (+6) COL/ 10 players
25 (-4) EDM/ 13 players
24 (+2) FLA/ 14 players
23 (0) VGK
22 (-20) NJD

2023 (graduates crossed out)View attachment 817010
View attachment 817014
vs
View attachment 817015
I feel like these takings are driven by just 1 or two players because realistically only a couple of players per team are actually going to make it to be a significant player in the NHL. Like you can probably cut off our prospect list after 5 players (if you flip Daws and Clarke).

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I feel like these takings are driven by just 1 or two players because realistically only a couple of players per team are actually going to make it to be a significant player in the NHL. Like you can probably cut off our prospect list after 5 players (if you flip Daws and Clarke).

High end quality at top definitely is a big driver which is why I’m surprised we didn’t do better with Nemec still there. (A little better, we lost a lot.)

I guess just having a couple of 1sts Rd draft picks got Vancouver over us despite us having a way superior one.

But again, whatever lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad