Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It was always a trade they made because of how bad they got dumpstered by Carolina. They missed a Toffoli type in that series and even in the NYR series with guys like Nico/Bratt/Timo going goalless for the series. He was always a playoff add and we assumed we'd walk into them this year.

I believe if you go back on my preseason posts I said something very similar. That I thought, oddly, that we were better set up for the playoffs but was concerned about us actually getting there. That was written off as doomerism pretty quick. Probably rightfully so. But the injuries really highlighted my concerns.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
He's literally useless without Jack. Given Jack's injury history, that is a problem.
Outside of that first month he has been pretty useless with Jack. Jack’s 5 on 5 play hasn’t been good this year. Part of that is probably playing injured, but I can see Toffoli dragging him down. I wish they would separate the two when in the lineup. It is the only thing that has stayed the same.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Outside of that first month he has been pretty useless with Jack. Jack’s 5 on 5 play hasn’t been good this year. Part of that is probably playing injured, but I can see Toffoli dragging him down. I wish they would separate the two when in the lineup. It is the only thing that has stayed the same.

Remember, Lindy pleaded with us to please consider the situations he was putting Toffoli in when trying the gauge his performance. You know, the most stable position playing most consistently with our best player and getting 1 PP time. Must be tough.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't know where else you can put Toffoli in this lineup. If you can't put Meier or Toffoli next to Hughes, who is playing with him?

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
I remember being called out by a couple particular posters for questioning Toffs fit on this team...
May have been me. I thought it was exactly what we needed to ride with Jack. A shoot first guy who could find space in the offensive zone and let it rip. Kinda like a established version of where Holtz would trend.

Knew he was slow, but not this slow.

Also think that if Toffoli was the biggest problem we'd be 15 points over of the playoff line.

It's 1 or 2 things legitmately killing the team. Everything else (like Toffoli, or even Timo) is a factor in why we'd lose in the ECF.

I long for a day when Toffoli is the reason this team is underperforming.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
May have been me. I thought it was exactly what we needed to ride with Jack. A shoot first guy who could find space in the offensive zone and let it rip. Kinda like a established version of where Holtz would trend.

Also think that if Toffoli was the biggest problem we'd be 15 points over of the playoff line.

It's 1 or 2 things legitmately killing the team. Everything else (like Toffoli, or even Timo) is a factor in why we'd lose in the ECF.

I hear you. But he is definitely a contributing factor.

As is injuries, which I think we are overlooking a bit. Yes they struggled early when healthy, but with so many players going down for extended time, they haven't even had a chance to get into a groove. And I think that is the biggest reason Lindy still has a job, and will through the end of the season.

Reactions: BostonDevil

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

He just isnt a fit for the team. Id argue that if you are glued to Jack most wingers could score 25 goals.

His footspeed is horrendous, I dont see him being any good defensively and yet Ruff refuses to ever bench him

Reactions: BostonDevil

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Gotta have the every other week pep talk

“Guys you gotta play harder”

“Guys you gotta make better reads”

“Guys you can’t turn the puck over but I also expect you to create plays from nothing”
it’s definitely this but i want to live in the alternative reality where it’s “here’s your new coach let’s talk about the new system before we practice”

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Officially done with Vitek and Toffoli. Toffoli is gonna score 30 but isn't a player you win a cup with. Provides absolutely nothing if he isn't scoring.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Gotta have the every other week pep talk

“Guys you gotta play harder”

“Guys you gotta make better reads”

“Guys you can’t turn the puck over but I also expect you to create plays from nothing”
And our goaltending gets a pass? They’re the primary reason we won’t make the playoffs. They suck!

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
If we could get a 1st or 2nd + prospect for Toffoli id deal him tomorrow.

I genuinely would want to pickup Duclair for like a 3rd/ 4th to replace him. I doubt we miss out on much. He is VERY fast and showed he can score on that FLA team putting up 31 goals when he had good line mates.

Cheaper contract, better team fit and we get a + in assets from this.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If we could get a 1st or 2nd + prospect for Toffoli id deal him tomorrow.

I genuinely would want to pickup Duclair for like a 3rd/ 4th to replace him. I doubt we miss out on much. He is VERY fast and showed he can score on that FLA team putting up 31 goals when he had good line mates.

Cheaper contract, better team fit and we get a + in assets from this.

I'd be down for this.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
1707498042353.png

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I don't know how many times I have to say it, you can give Lindy an absurdly stacked roster and he's still not beating Brindamour, Cooper, Montgomery or any coach worth anything in the playoffs with how mind numbing bad he is as an adjuster/coach. He's the biggest weakness on this roster/team/franchise.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I get not wanting to send the message that you are giving up on the team, but the team and coaching staff might actually benefit from that wake up call. Again, my biggest gripe with Fitz is his extreme loyalty to his people. Sometimes you do have to ruffle feathers. It might be the toughest part of the job for a relatively inexperienced GM.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Fitz is a moron if he does that
Honestly, he is going to. If you saw the STH renewal email, they made the main selling point priority access and information about the 2024 PLayoffs. Its the only thing in bold and italics lol.

Ownership wants the team to make it, for more then just team success lol.

Email Below:
1707498162327.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad