Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I’d much rather take Toffolis dollars and sign someone like Chandler Stephenson. This team need a speedster / defensively responsible player who can still pot goals to complement Jack or play 3C alongside Meier
Well see the issue there is that Meier is on the 3rd line. Now I really hate his contract and the fact that we are stuck with him but I wonder how bad his injury from this season has weakened his game. I think finding a way to get Meier's game right is more important than brining in another free agent we will have to commit too much money too.

These guys need to win alot of the remaining games to make the playoffs. I think this season will be an indicator for who the real leaders on this team are over the course of the next 10 games or so.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
This team is going nowhere with Fitz and his shit bag coaching staff and shitbag goalies.
Thank God we didn't go on Florida like run last year because the only bright spot about possibly missing the playoffs is the fact we don't have to give up an extra 1st round pick from the Meier deal.

We moved out way to many pieces all for us to just spin tires this season. Those said pieces we brought in have not pushed the needle forward whatsoever while we let younger, cheaper talent go the other way.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
aliens-game-over-man.gif

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
I really f***ing hate fitz. What the f*** is he doing besides jerking off at other teams games? Or patting himself on the back at an undeserved extension?

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I really f***ing hate fitz. What the f*** is he doing besides jerking off at other teams games? Or patting himself on the back at an undeserved extension?
What’s your plan, walk us through how we get better next year. And I’m not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to know because you’re probably the angriest poster on here right now lol.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This is easily a more disappointing season than our garbage rebuilding years. At least in those years we knew we would likely suck because the talent was lacking. And it's a real gut punch to come out of that with a historically great season, only to take a huge step back to mediocrity again immediately.
I was thinking this last night. The mid to late 20-teens we knew we'd suck. This year is brutal because we weren't supposed to.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Short term pain for long term gain is I'm looking at it, only way to do so without wanting to cry
The problem is this isn't short term pain. This has been going on 12 years of pain aside from last year and Halls MVP run.

Obviously we are in a better position but man this is a kick in the dick. We're going to finish second to last in the division. We were predicted to be a top 5 team in the entire league in August.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The problem is this isn't short term pain. This has been going on 12 years of pain aside from last year and Halls MVP run.

Obviously we are in a better position but man this is a kick in the dick. We're going to finish second to last in the division. We were predicted to be a top 5 team in the entire league in August.

I mean theoretically it should be, the only massive issues are the goaltending + coaching. Both are absurdly easy fixes so to speak. Chances are Fitz is going to end bending the knee this summer for whatever goalie is out there because he can't, without a straight face, walk into the another year with the same duo/trio of net minders. Making the playoffs with Lindy does nothing for this franchise, he's a loser coach when lights get bright. The Hurricanes have gotten equally shit goaltending like us the whole year and Brindamour has them 2nd in the division and they'll probably catch the Rags for first once Andersen comes healthy.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Trading for a goalie mid year, as much as we all want it, just isn't feasible. The prices are going to cost us more to give up + teams understand how bent over a barrel we are currently with Vitek + Daws + Schmid. Also Lindy should not be getting a get out of jail free card.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This is easily a more disappointing season than our garbage rebuilding years. At least in those years we knew we would likely suck because the talent was lacking. And it's a real gut punch to come out of that with a historically great season, only to take a huge step back to mediocrity again immediately.

It’s not remotely worse. Being pathetic with less talent and fewer wins and less hope for the future for years and years was worse.

We weren’t mediocre for years, we weren’t a bubble team, we were a lottery garbage can with no stars.

This is frustrating and disappointing but that’s sports for ya.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It’s not remotely worse. Being pathetic with less talent and fewer wins and less hope for the future for years and years was worse.

We weren’t mediocre for years, we weren’t a bubble team, we were a lottery garbage can with no stars.

This is frustrating and disappointing but that’s sports for ya.

Ya, I don't get that. This team's fixes are relatively straight forward, there was a point in time where we legit thinking ourselves into Zacha/McLeod being 1/2C's of the future.....

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I get how frustrating this has all been, but I think we've all see the way this season has gone that we weren't going to just magically end up driving on a smoothly paved road the rest of the way. This defense is still learning on the fly, and we're still trotting out Vitek who instills zero confidence in probably everyone out on the ice right now. I don't think there's a solution that just makes sense out of the blue, and I get giving him the start last night after he made lots of good saves against the Avalanche, but he is unfortunately prone to giving up excruciating goals that will deflate the psyche of even the best players in front of him.

The season isn't over yet, though I know lots of people like to go with that notion every time we lose a game. There are things that can be adjusted from a lineup perspective, and the powerplay will get going again eventually now that the forward group is back at full strength. But time is getting short. Regardless of how this season ends, while it's disappointing and frustrating, there's been so much that has gone wrong throughout these last few months that it's hard to not just shrug. If this is our Vegas season of missing the playoffs to come back stronger, so be it.

I'll be here on the wagon until it ends, we'll see how many others will be with me. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad