Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
While our goaltending has been bad, and I agree, I also argue that a weak defense contributes to bad goaltending. The Devils weak defense is a result of our defensemen trades in the off season, going with young defensemen and injuries to our attention defensemen.

I must add my bitch that the coaching staff mis-manages the selection of the goalie to play in a game. I will also add that the coaching staff knowing we have weak goalies, too many young defensemen and injured veteran defensemen per game don't step up the defense from the offense side. Our offense while playing some defense do not in my opinion play enough to overcome the problem.

Our coaching staff want to win by outscoring the other side. We all know defense wins games. Why the conflict?

Enough about what I think.

Moving forward... Vitek Vanacek gave us a good game against a top club the Avalanche last game. IMO the Devils would not have held off the Avs without the good performance from Vitek. We beat a very good team 5-3. Lets hope he continues on the plus side.

Acquiring better goalies is a very tough task for Fitz for many reasons previously discussed.

Here is an article about Devil's goalies that might provide some hope for the future.

One game at a time, Devils

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think it's a false alarm.

Lindy was asked about the Tyler/Jack/Holtz line and literally said "Well that definitely might not be a line. We have some other thoughts on lines too"

This dinosaur I swear...
95% of the time I would just assume he’s being disingenuously coy, but I’ll believe Holtz on a real line when I see it in game

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We are so back
IMG_7968.png

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I mean, Toffoli-Hughes-Holtz objective sounds like a bad idea to me. I don't think you can put both those wingers on the same line and expect any semblance of success. One of them should switch with someone higher in the lineup.

Reactions: My3Sons

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
It’ll cost Jack Hughes for sure.

Zegras is better or at least has a higher ceiling. - some douche bag journalist a little over a year back.

Haha! Throwing it out there as he's a distressed asset at this point and is making Toffoli money for a handful of years.

Not what we need and I'm not a huge fan but can't get enough potential higher end talent.

I'd give it a shot depending on the ask.

Jack would be thrilled.

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
I guess RW isn't a need? But damn I wanted Duclair...

I really believe the strength of our team, speed, has been gutted in a short time frame from the offseason.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha! Throwing it out there as he's a distressed asset at this point and is making Toffoli money for a handful of years.

Not what we need and I'm not a huge fan but can't get enough potential higher end talent.

I'd give it a shot depending on the ask.

Jack would be thrilled.
He was mega overrated about 1.5-2 years ago.

Now he’s actually becoming underrated.

It’s funny that in the athletic player polls he was recently voted one of the most overrated players in the league. I don’t think he is anymore. On last year’s poll he probably should have gotten that.

I would have swapped him with a teammate of his in John Gibson……

Funny enough, Gibson was voted one of the top 4 or 5 hardest goalies to score on in last year’s poll. He wasn’t listed on this year’s.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He was mega overrated about 1.5-2 years ago.

Now he’s actually becoming underrated.

It’s funny that in the athletic player polls he was recently voted one of the most overrated players in the league. I don’t think he is anymore. On last year’s poll he probably should have gotten that.

I would have swapped him with a teammate of his in John Gibson……

Funny enough, Gibson was voted one of the top 4 or 5 hardest goalies to score on in last year’s poll. He wasn’t listed on this year’s.
Absolutely agree. These underrated/overrated polls are funny because it's usually the same guys named, yet there is absolutely no introspection from the people making the lists. Like, if everyone thinks someone is underrated...he is not underrated. He is properly rated. Everyone thinks he's good. With Zegras, he's clearly not overrated. No one thinks he's a world beater.

You're right. He is underrated now. It's a great buy-low opportunity for a smart GM. I watched a few ANA games this year and was actually impressed with his work ethic and jam on the forecheck/battling on the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad