Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwidevil

I think the 'lost team speed' is a just a combination of Injuries, goalies, rookies, potentially poor coaching etc, which makes us a worse team. When a team is firing on all cylinders the play seems fast.

I also get the feeling that when the opposition has quotes like "They're a fast team(as in fast skaters) so you need to be on your toes" is code for "This team is quite bad, but if we take it easy on them, they may beat us".

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Casey will be a lot better than Girard in my opinion. Girard was never as sound defensively as Casey, and Casey plays with a great deal more edge and compete to his game. Girard was always going to be a "monitored minute" type guy, but Casey is a guy you can trust on the ice with a one-goal lead in the final minutes against the opposition's top line.

Literally, the only knock against Casey is his size. That's it. With Girard, it was the fact his entire game is tailored to a sort of over reliance on his strengths (skating, puck handling, on-ice vision) while trying to offer sort of a passable facsimile of his weaknesses. Girard is kind of a good version of the prototypical "small, all-offense defenseman".

Casey can be more than that. I literally see him in the mold of a young Brian Rafalski or Kris Letang -- not as a player comparison (please don't assume this, folks), but as an undersized offense-first defender who can also play very well in the myriad aspects of the 200-foot game.

The last thing I want to say about Casey is he's one of the most versatile prospects I've seen in some time. Not only can he play either side defensively in any situation, but he's also been deployed as both a wing and center by both the US-NTDP and U of Michigan, and he's actually a very good forward as well. This is a guy who gives a coach the option of going 11-7 because you can just slot him up to your middle six if Plan A isn't working.

As @Guttersniped will certainly point out, I'm traditionally very critical of small, offensive d-men and my scouting bread-and-butter has always been projecting defensemen. The fact I'm so high on Seamus Casey is a guarantee of nothing of course, but hopefully it spurs a few people to at least give him another look. He's a heck of a prospect, right now my clear-cut #1 for the Devils.

So he is Smith if Smith was really good.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think the 'lost team speed' is a just a combination of Injuries, goalies, rookies, potentially poor coaching etc, which makes us a worse team. When a team is firing on all cylinders the play seems fast.

I also get the feeling that when the opposition has quotes like "They're a fast team(as in fast skaters) so you need to be on your toes" is code for "This team is quite bad, but if we take it easy on them, they may beat us".

It’s a mixed bag. Luke and Nemec are probably faster than Graves and Severson. Toffoli is slower than Tatar but he can score goals . Jack missing slows the team down

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It’s a mixed bag. Luke and Nemec are probably faster than Graves and Severson. Toffoli is slower than Tatar but he can score goals . Jack missing slows the team down

Early in the year, it felt like a lot of the issues where chemistry related. Team was leaving the zone speed wise just fine but lots of passes into skates slowed shit down.

Then the injuries piled up in a hurry so we never really got to see what a healthy version of this team would look like.

And we are never going to see it this year as I think multiple guys will be playing hurt for the rest of the year and one of our better skaters is gone for good due to being an alleged scumbag.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Multiple seasons? He came into this season with 48 regular season games of experience. And who mentioned anything about <15. It's nearly impossible to play <15 as a 3rd pairing/3rd PKer.

A single minute is not insignificant for a player with that little experience...he went up 3&1/2 minutes with 48 games under his belt.... that's simply too much too soon
Bahl has played crazy tough minutes, particularly with Marino.

Here’s one Quality of Competition chart.

Just the Devils defensemen
IMG_3385.jpeg
All NHL Defensemen w/ 600 minutes.
IMG_3377.jpeg
IMG_3376.jpeg
Here’s Bahl amid the defensemen with highest QofC. You can see he has fewer minutes but they’re tough.
IMG_3386.jpeg

Also
IMG_3387.jpeg

Role Difficulty = 87
2nd & 3rd Highest on Devils
Marino = 80
Nico = 78

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Bahl has played crazy tough minutes, particularly with Marino.

Here’s one Quality of Competition chart.

Just the Devils defensemen
View attachment 816128
All NHL Defensemen w/ 600 minutes.
View attachment 816129
View attachment 816130
Here’s Bahl amid the defensemen with highest QofC. You can see he has fewer minutes but they’re tough.
View attachment 816162

Also
View attachment 816165
Role Difficulty = 87
2nd & 3rd Highest on Devils
Marino = 80
Nico = 78

Considering his role those transition and defense ratings aren’t awful.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I don’t care if the Devils get help for a playoff push, but they should do it sooner rather than later. Islanders got Horvat early and it propelled them into the Playoffs.

I have bad feeling that a “trade deadline trade” will be too late and a waste of assets. The numbers are close but jumping teams is very hard when there are games that are worth extra points.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You can’t see trends by looking at two of the biggest outliers currently in the NHL.

Sadly I can’t find Tulsky’s article about PP, the age curve and survivorship bias.

The graphs below are from a 2017 Hockey Graphs on the Age Curve.

I haven’t thought about this in a long while lol.

The early peak is only slightly later, the big difference is how the drop-off is much less on the PP in the late 20s/start of 30s.

One obvious factor is lack of speed isn’t an issue for older forwards on the PP.

View attachment 816102View attachment 816103

Overall
View attachment 816108
Even Strength Defense
View attachment 816109
Taking Penalties
View attachment 816110
Drawing Penalties
View attachment 816111
Face-offs
View attachment 816112

The graphs are from Part 1
This is Part 2

I can if I try to analyze big talents. My post was about specific talents and Jack especially. That was a starting point of conversation.

Reactions: Guttersniped

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I contacted the store today to ask. They told me they don't see a restock order and that because it's a special jersey they don't know if they will be getting more. They said they restock usually on Mon so they told me if they were going to order more by Monday will be the day they know by.

Dang. Thanks though! I hope that die hard Devils fans get theirs obviously, but would love to get my hands on one at some point.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I contacted the store today to ask. They told me they don't see a restock order and that because it's a special jersey they don't know if they will be getting more. They said they restock usually on Mon so they told me if they were going to order more by Monday will be the day they know by.

If there isn't more supply at some point, that's just a massive failure and F U to fans of this team. It's only our second outdoor game, despite being in the continent's number one media market and having won 3 cups over the last 30 years. We have some young stars to market. And to shaft us when we have this to enjoy is just beyond unacceptable.

Especially with the cart nonsense the other day - like others I had the blank one in the cart and it vanished. And the worst part? I kept getting daily emails from the shop reminding me to check out. That product doesn't even open anymore when you click the link. The Hughes one does, but it's sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad