Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Frick it. Give me Markstrom, give me the 8 seed and lets bounce those frauds out of the first round again with a healthy Jack and Timo

LGD. Im back on the hope wagon

Someone post that Dano hype train gif

Bouncing the Rangers in the 1st round again given the vast difference in expectations would most certainly salvage this otherwise disappointment of a season.

And playoff experience is always good for a young core.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
With zero retention I'm kind of at the point where they can have one of Holtz or our 1st, but they won't get both and they definitely don't get Mercer.

Not sure why Fitz was hellbent on retention in the first place, given the add'l assets that would've cost - which I think might've been significant as it ties up one of 3 retention spots for 3 TDL's and cost real money for Calgary.

Would rather get him without retention and figure it out this offseason (though the cap nerds and Fitz should have some idea how to make it work).

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Not sure I want to touch Markstrom at all with zero retention.
The retention isn't as big compared to giving up a young fwd especially when that is where we are thin prospects wise imo....I see your point but vtek probably going other way or to a team wanting to get help to the cap floor and dealing Toffoli it balances out...

Reactions: glenwo2

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I thought you were serious, you never know when you have to explain these things. :laugh:

Someone on here years ago legit asked how the people in the front rows could see through the ads that were on the glass and would be annoyed having to deal with it all game haha.
im in a snarky mood :laugh:, so thanks for giving me a laugh. I dont remember the poster saying that!

Reactions: JK3

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
That's just Cangi's head on Nicholas Cage's body. No idea why there's the Nic Cage banana thing but apparently there are stickers, magnets, pillows, etc. of it lol.

I thought it was evoking the George Costanza boudoir photoshoot:

1709327854660.jpeg

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Markstrom with zero retention would turn into us being the sucker team who PAYS to take the last bad years of a contract.
I kind of felel the same way.

Last year Markstrom probably would have passed through waivers.

I’d be willing to gamble on him but it is a gamble so I’m only willing to paying gamble prices, if it was me.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We are kinda in NHL Be a GM fantasy land, but trading Toffoli for a first + Kaliyev, flipping that first + minor pieces for Markstrom, and perhaps trading for Tatar (or similar) for cheap could be a tidy bit of work for Fitzgerald. Would be a nice combination of keeping the team competitive but re-allocating strengths to weaknesses.

Meier - Hischier - Bratt
Haula - Hughes - Palat
(Tatar) - Lazar - Mercer
Kaliyev/Holtz - Nosek - Bastian
Foote - Tierney

Bahl - Hamilton
Siegenthaler - Nemec
Luke - Miller
Smith - (Hamilton)

Markstrom
VV/Daws

Forward group still looks a bit weak, but that team could still compete for a playoff spot. Ideally this team needs another 3C or someone to step up internally to push Haula to 3C and Lazar down to 4C.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I kind of felel the same way.

Last year Markstrom probably would have passed through waivers.

I’d be willing to gamble on him but it is a gamble so I’m only willing to paying gamble prices, if it was me.
Hopefully the price isn’t crazy, especially if they aren’t retaining at all.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
We are kinda in NHL Be a GM fantasy land, but trading Toffoli for a first + Kaliyev, flipping that first + minor pieces for Markstrom, and perhaps trading for Tatar (or similar) for cheap could be a tidy bit of work for Fitzgerald.

Meier - Hischier - Bratt
Haula - Hughes - Palat
Tatar - Lazar - Mercer
Foote - Tierney

Bahl - Hamilton
Siegenthaler - Nemec
Luke - Miller
Smith - (Hamilton)

Markstrom
VV/Daws

Forward group still looks a bit weak, but that team could still compete for a playoff spot. Ideally this team needs another 3C or someone to step up internally to push Haula to 3C and Lazar down to 4C.
When do I get to trade my next 4 1st round picks for McDavid?!?! Make sure we turn the trade difficulty all the way down!

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
We are kinda in NHL Be a GM fantasy land, but trading Toffoli for a first + Kaliyev, flipping that first + minor pieces for Markstrom, and perhaps trading for Tatar (or similar) for cheap could be a tidy bit of work for Fitzgerald. Would be a nice combination of keeping the team competitive but re-allocating strengths to weaknesses.

Meier - Hischier - Bratt
Haula - Hughes - Palat
(Tatar) - Lazar - Mercer
Foote - Tierney

Bahl - Hamilton
Siegenthaler - Nemec
Luke - Miller
Smith - (Hamilton)

Markstrom
VV/Daws

Would love Tatar back man, hes playing 4th line minutes in SEA anyway

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Would love Tatar back man, hes playing 4th line minutes in SEA anyway
Seattle acquired him for a fifth during this year. Offer the 6th you got for retaining on Tanev and you can look at him as a free asset.

Would be a nice added depth piece that can easily acclimate to the team.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tatar is the most overrated recent Devils player there is.

He’s approaching to recent Devils players what John Gibson is to goalies.

Reactions: Billdo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad