Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Their contention window is now even with the injuries, shit coaching and shit goaltending. This is pure mismanagement by Fitz if he is not trying to get a goalie. When you're in your contention window, you trade what ever you have to so you can fill in holes. The only guys not getting touched are locked up core guys and Nemec and Luke. Everyone else is fair game whether people here want to hear it or not.

It's just a matter of if Tom grasps that. His lack of doing anything to address an issue he caused is a major concern. The metro is super weak, as is the east aside from Florida and the Canes, both having goaltending flaws.
Trading whatever you have to, to fill holes is not good management. The Goalie Market is terrible, trading big assets for a 34 year old Markstrom who's been inconsistent since arriving in Calgary just to say you got a goalie is a kneejerk reaction to a season that hasn't lived up to expectations.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
So fitz screwed up and should’ve never even looked towards tofoli
I wouldn't say screwed up, The logic was there but seeing this team not play near the same pace or intensity as last year's team shows that they should change focus.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Awful example. The Cowboys literally won their division this year and finished 2nd in the NFC. They been a consistent competitor NFL team for past 18 years after a brief step back in the late 90’s following winning 3 Super Bowls. Not to mentions the Cowboys are the Cowboys because the were the league’s most consistent winners from the Mid-60’s into the 80’s.

I’m not saying making big player acquisitions are in themselves bad, but you have to back them up. At the end of the day no one cares about individual players in team sports. Star players are star players because they make their teams winners. You have to win first and establish credibility then you can then you can do the extra marketing.

But if you try doing the second before the first, you end up looking like a jackass. Or worse you look like the f***ing Jets where everyone knows who have no clue what you are doing.

PK coming here was like the Browns drafting Manziel or the Jaguars hiring Urban Meyer. Got a sugar high of attention, but hurt credibility of the team. And of course the building was empty PK’s entire tenure here.

F the Cowboys. That’s it that’s the analysis.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The same people who are bitching at Fitz for not doing anything in arguably a dead season personnel wise are gonna be the same ones who are crying consistently if he makes a move and the guys we trade turn out to be better just like we've heard the past 3-4 weeks with Toffoli v Shara

Yeah, that is absolutely inevitable :laugh: And then they will say "it's not my job to make the right trades for the right players, its the gms job" or something while providing no other viable alternative options.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
The same people who are bitching at Fitz for not doing anything in arguably a dead season personnel wise are gonna be the same ones who are crying consistently if he makes a move and the guys we trade turn out to be better just like we've heard the past 3-4 weeks with Toffoli v Shara
Or let’s say we trade for a Markstrom/Gibson type and it doesn’t work out, they’ll also criticize Fitz , even though that’s what they wanted him to do.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Canucks proving right now you can make big moves before the TDL. No reason Tom cant get us a goalie and save our season and have someone in place for next year as well instead of pissing a season away and then hoping he can figure it out in the off season.

Nobody has dealt for a goalie. Goalies are way, way harder to deal for, for obvious reasons. But hey, don't bother thinking about those, just yell about how he's not trying.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Nobody has dealt for a goalie. Goalies are way, way harder to deal for, for obvious reasons. But hey, don't bother thinking about those, just yell about how he's not trying.
Not only that, its goalies in THIS market are even worse. Cause like 5 teams want one and the prices are astronomical

But people will cry how we havent done anything. Those same people will cry how we have an overpaid 6 million dollar goalie and we traded assets for them

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Or let’s say we trade for a Markstrom/Gibson type and it doesn’t work out, they’ll also criticize Fitz , even though that’s what they wanted him to do.
And if he did that and the trade actually works out everyone will want him to have done it sooner!

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Why do people still mention Gibson? There are very few goalies I'd pay the cost of acquisition for and he ain't one of them. I think we try and get Ullmark over the summer, inquire about Saros, and keep the lines open on anyone else but I'm not paying the price for Gibson or Markstrom.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Not only that, its goalies in THIS market are even worse. Cause like 5 teams want one and the prices are astronomical

But people will cry how we havent done anything. Those same people will cry how we have an overpaid 6 million dollar goalie and we traded assets for them

I personally wouldn’t I’ll “cry” for all those reasons you mentioned and seeing the “starter we have now

Just be ready though because for all the reasons you mentioned it’s going to be the same come the summer. So I hope you won’t cry when he spends assets for a 6 million goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad