Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
We were never bringing Severson back, and it had nothing to do with Palat. Just way too much money to a 3rd pairing D with Nemec ready (and already better than Severson). Miller was the right move. Marginally worse, but on a 1 year deal — he’s been more than fine.

Graves is whatever. Better than Bahl, but a very mediocre player and a net negative on the contract he signed.

The defense is down the entire 1st pairing, that’s a big reason for some struggles. Siegs was having a poor year, but his loss still put way more pressure on everyone else.

Palat needs to stay healthy, but he’s been the second best defensive forward on the team and his underlying numbers have been sensational. I get not wanting the deal on the back end, but is he not close to exactly what we’d want come playoff time?
The dude has barely played and is getting older. Plus, the Devils might not even make the playoffs this year. Toffoli at 7-8 wouldn’t be a problem without Palats contract. You guys act like this team played well before injuries and that wasn’t the case.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
People want to sell tofolli when he’s going to put up 30-35 with this depleted roster. You get rid of him for a mid first. Who are you getting to replace him? Are there a lot of 30+ goal scorers out there on the market this summer? Think they will be cheap?
Between Hughes returning, Meier improving and Holtz getting more than 12 minutes a night that alone would replace his goal scoring. The Devils' aren't short on goal scoring ability, what they need are more players that can help keep the puck out of their own zone and keep it in their opponent's zone.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The dude has barely played and is getting older. Plus, the Devils might not even make the playoffs this year. Toffoli at 7-8 wouldn’t be a problem without Palats contract. You guys act like this team played well before injuries and that wasn’t the case.
Regardless of how we’ve played this year, it just never made sense to sign Severson to that huge long term deal. Our RHD depth was Hamilton ($9 million per year, a top ~20 D in the sport), Marino (coming off an excellent season, signed long term), Miller (fine player, expiring contract), Nemec (one of the best prospects in the entire sport — turns out he’s already really good in year 1). And Casey is not far away from arriving and is one of the best dmen in the NCAA.

Literally vanish Palat from the face of the earth, and I’m not signing Severson to that deal. Makes no sense. Sure, I’d take Graves this season. But I’d rather not have him on that deal. Are we forgetting how ass he looked in the playoffs?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Toff is a good player, and if he stays he stays, but I don’t really see him as a fit and I’d rather save the money for our core young guys down the line.

Someone has to take his spot and put up 25 minimum

Between Hughes returning, Meier improving and Holtz getting more than 12 minutes a night that alone would replace his goal scoring. The Devils' aren't short on goal scoring ability, what they need are more players that can help keep the puck out of their own zone and keep it in their opponent's zone.
If the devils don’t need goal scoring then Fitz absolutely should get bashed for trading for tofolli. Also if this season has taught us anything is that we actually need depth scoring

Reactions: Killing Joke

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hate arguing for people to be fired and honestly I have no idea how to evaluate his work. But, something needs to change with the Devils goaltending and changing the goalie coach is entirely within the organization’s control. Clemmensen and Melanson are available, so we even have clear replacement candidates. Infuriating that the Devils haven’t done this. Heck, just have Rogalski take a leave or have him switch roles with Clemmensen - they don’t even need to fire him if they don’t want to.
I don't know about Clemmensen as long term goalie coach. He may not even want that job, because the job he has now doesn't require him to show up to work every day like an NHL goalie coach. He may have an easier job right now and it may even pay more money than what the goalie coach makes. That I'm not sure about.

But as an interim for the remainder of the year? Absolutely. Or Marty can interim goalie coach the rest of the year. He's the one who brought Rogalski here.

We don't even have to name or hire a permanent replacement right now. Just let someone interim the rest of the year.

God forbid we hire someone full time even before the offseason and this is the year Bob Essensa or Benoit Allaire leave their current posts and become available lol. I think the chances are low, but anything can happen.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I think our biggest need is on the left side. Bahl is really struggling, and our best bet of righting the ship might be finding a way to replicate the Graves-Marino pairing.
Well Zadorov might need to go if they are truly trading for Tanev, as VAN will need to clear up cap space. I know he's not ideal, but he could be a "stop the bleeding" type acquisition for our D if management doesn't want to risk assets for a year when it might not make sense (but still might want to at least give it a shot to make the playoffs and see what happens).

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
i know this will make a ton of people happy because they dont want to waste a pick to get someone. smh this season is a waste then even if they make the playoffs. if he doesn't land a legit top goalie in the summer then he should go. you can't punt on this season and then go into next year with another unknown goalie aka vitek 2.0 just simply can't do it
Their contention window is now even with the injuries, shit coaching and shit goaltending. This is pure mismanagement by Fitz if he is not trying to get a goalie. When you're in your contention window, you trade what ever you have to so you can fill in holes. The only guys not getting touched are locked up core guys and Nemec and Luke. Everyone else is fair game whether people here want to hear it or not.

It's just a matter of if Tom grasps that. His lack of doing anything to address an issue he caused is a major concern. The metro is super weak, as is the east aside from Florida and the Canes, both having goaltending flaws.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Regardless of how we’ve played this year, it just never made sense to sign Severson to that huge long term deal. Our RHD depth was Hamilton ($9 million per year, a top ~20 D in the sport), Marino (coming off an excellent season, signed long term), Miller (fine player, expiring contract), Nemec (one of the best prospects in the entire sport — turns out he’s already really good in year 1). And Casey is not far away from arriving and is one of the best dmen in the NCAA.

Literally vanish Palat from the face of the earth, and I’m not signing Severson to that deal. Makes no sense. Sure, I’d take Graves this season. But I’d rather not have him on that deal. Are we forgetting how ass he looked in the playoffs?
We all overvalue our prospects. Casey isn’t a sure thing and the Devils never intended to play Nemec. Its wild to dismiss Graves numbers because he played bad in the playoffs and bank everything on Bahl. The organization tried to portray Bahl as NHL ready when he barely played last year.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Their contention window is now even with the injuries, shit coaching and shit goaltending. This is pure mismanagement by Fitz if he is not trying to get a goalie. When you're in your contention window, you trade what ever you have to so you can fill in holes. The only guys not getting touched are locked up core guys and Nemec and Luke. Everyone else is fair game whether people here want to hear it or not.

It's just a matter of if Tom grasps that. His lack of doing anything to address an issue he caused is a major concern. The metro is super weak, as is the east aside from Florida and the Canes, both having goaltending flaws.
Truth bombs away. The salary police and 5 years down road mob are going to come for ya!

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Canucks proving right now you can make big moves before the TDL. No reason Tom cant get us a goalie and save our season and have someone in place for next year as well instead of pissing a season away and then hoping he can figure it out in the off season.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Someone has to take his spot and put up 25 minimum

If the devils don’t need goal scoring then Fitz absolutely should get bashed for trading for tofolli. Also if this season has taught us anything is that we actually need depth scoring
Even without Toffoli the Devils still have Hughes, Hischier, Bratt and Meier as proven scorers, to go along with Holtz and Mercer. The Most recent Stanley Cup champions (Vegas, Colorado and Tampa) have all surrounded their stars with multiple guys that can play two way hockey and effect the play in all three zones up and down the lineup. We saw with last year's Devil's team how important it is to control possession and pressure the other team.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Canucks proving right now you can make big moves before the TDL. No reason Tom cant get us a goalie and save our season and have someone in place for next year as well instead of pissing a season away and then hoping he can figure it out in the off season.
Im sorry, I still don’t understand what your stance is :snide:

IMG_3502.jpeg
IMG_3501.jpeg

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We all overvalue our prospects. Casey isn’t a sure thing and the Devils never intended to play Nemec. Its wild to dismiss Graves numbers because he played bad in the playoffs and bank everything on Bahl. The organization tried to portray Bahl as NHL ready when he barely played last year.
Casey isn’t a sure thing, but he’s doing just about everything he possibly can do to track as an NHL player. Luckily Nemec is literally one of the best young players the franchise has ever had. I’m not seeing this dire need for Damon Severson on the right side.

We could use a Miller-level player on the left side as a stop gap. Graves wasn’t a bad player, he was just very mediocre. Perfectly reasonable to move on from him.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Graves has sucked this year massively. He would not have made a difference here. He also would have cost entirely way too much to keep him. The issue is Siegs fell of a cliff, Marino has fallen off a cliff. Making the losses look worse to anyone not paying attention realizing the massive goals against issue is the gaping hole in net Tom failed to fill and is seemingly not filling right now for some reason.

Calgary should be the team to target for a goalie with Markstrom. He is healthy and back to stealing games and being one of the top guys in the league in goals saved above expected.

Calgary is clearly looking to sell. We got pieces we could use to grab Markstrom.

We also do need another guy on the left side though so Bahl f***s off lower into the lineup.

Hanifin or Chychrun should be that target.

Reactions: BurntToast

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

The Devils literally did last year what the Canucks are doing, you might be the most in the moment poster on this site. Take a breath, man

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Casey isn’t a sure thing, but he’s doing just about everything he possibly can do to track as an NHL player. Luckily Nemec is literally one of the best young players the franchise has ever had. I’m not seeing this dire need for Damon Severson on the right side.

We could use a Miller-level player on the left side as a stop gap. Graves wasn’t a bad player, he was just very mediocre. Perfectly reasonable to move on from him.
Every time you mention Nemec it’s music to my ears.

Luke and him on the blue line for years to come is insane. Salary coming off and cap going up right on time for these two is perfect.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think everything TF has done has been perfectly reasonable really except the Palat deal. Unfortunately it just isn't working out this year.

Reactions: Devs3cups

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Even without Toffoli the Devils still have Hughes, Hischier, Bratt and Meier as proven scorers, to go along with Holtz and Mercer. The Most recent Stanley Cup champions (Vegas, Colorado and Tampa) have all surrounded their stars with multiple guys that can play two way hockey and effect the play in all three zones up and down the lineup. We saw with last year's Devil's team how important it is to control possession and pressure the other team.
So fitz screwed up and should’ve never even looked towards tofoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad