Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't really want any rental players that cost a significant amount (2nd round pick and up/young roster player/top prospect). Devils don't really need forwards aside from the forwards getting healthy and I think the Devils would have to be really lucky for a good defenseman to come in and have his normal impact straight away while adjusting to the Devils system. If there's a Lazar like trade out there then that'd be fine.

Basically don't want to trade assets that could be used to fetch more in the offseason when teams aren't so cap constrained and/or trade away years of a RFA player for a player that ends up only playing like 30 games for the franchise.

The main thing I'd like to see from Fitz at the trade deadline is either get Toffoli on a reasonable 2 year deal and if Toffoli's agent is not down with that I think you'd have to trade him and get some assets that can be used for a goalie or something in the offseason. Teams are looking for a top 6 forward and I rather not lose Toffoli for nothing even if the Devils are in the playoff race (sort of like how the Blues traded Shattenkirk even though they were in the playoff race in 16-17).

Nah, we need another forward with McLeod "missing" a center especially.

Henrqiue makes a lot of sense right now, but it's a question of cost.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Devils need an extra to sit in the press box, they aren’t going to do that to Misyul or Hatakka when they need to play. They’re both waiver exempt, they can be sent up and down at the drop of a hat.

If NJ waives DeSimone, I assume Calgary’s going to still want him if no one team keeps him for NHL desperation depth. He was the Wranglers most productive defenseman last season with 46 points, and 8 goals, in 65 GP. He had 8 points in 10 GP this season.

I’m curious if DeSimone ever gets to play in NJ, he probably won’t, but you never know.

When are guys getting back?
Other than Nosek is skating…

View attachment 812608

I get the same feeling about DeSimone. If things follow along as they have been going, he just might see some time after all. If he sucks, it will be Hatakka again.

Sure hope the curse of the injurious has been drained.:thumbu:

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I don't really want any rental players that cost a significant amount (2nd round pick and up/young roster player/top prospect). Devils don't really need forwards aside from the forwards getting healthy and I think the Devils would have to be really lucky for a good defenseman to come in and have his normal impact straight away while adjusting to the Devils system. If there's a Lazar like trade out there then that'd be fine.

Basically don't want to trade assets that could be used to fetch more in the offseason when teams aren't so cap constrained and/or trade away years of a RFA player for a player that ends up only playing like 30 games for the franchise.

The main thing I'd like to see from Fitz at the trade deadline is either get Toffoli on a reasonable 2 year deal and if Toffoli's agent is not down with that I think you'd have to trade him and get some assets that can be used for a goalie or something in the offseason. Teams are looking for a top 6 forward and I rather not lose Toffoli for nothing even if the Devils are in the playoff race (sort of like how the Blues traded Shattenkirk even though they were in the playoff race in 16-17).
If Fitz trades a 2nd for Henrique and then re-signs him at a decent cap hit, I think that is a perfectly fine deal. We have to plan for worst case scenario re McLeod and therefore we will be looking at a 3C in the free agent market. I don’t mind paying a 2nd to get one now.

Let’s just run the same trade back. Vatanen for Henrique.
We do have a Finnish defenseman to send them in Santeri Hatakka or Topias Vilen.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If Fitz trades a 2nd for Henrique and then re-signs him at a decent cap hit, I think that is a perfectly fine deal. We have to plan for worst case scenario re McLeod and therefore we will be looking at a 3C in the free agent market. I don’t mind paying a 2nd to get one now.

We do have a Finnish defenseman to send them in Santeri Hatakka or Topias Vilen.
Devils 100% need to find a replacement for him going forward. Bad things are coming his way since Player 1 and 2 that were named in the court documents were born in 98 and played on the same junior team. McLeod matches that description out of the five leave of absence players.

Edit: NVM on the potential player 1 and 2, thought he was a Kelowna Rocket

So we need a new plan going forward for our bottom 6 C situation

Last edited:
Reactions: billingtons ghost

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Devils 100% need to find a replacement for him going forward. Bad things are coming his way since Player 1 and 2 that were named in the court documents were born in 98 and played on the same junior team. McLeod matches that description out of the five leave of absence players.

So we need a new plan going forward for our bottom 6 C situation
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think McLeod had any of the 5 on his junior teams. Cal Foote and Dube were however on the same team and are both 98s.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Nah, we need another forward with McLeod "missing" a center especially.

Henrqiue makes a lot of sense right now, but it's a question of cost.
Devils still have Hughes, Hischier, and Haula that can center the top 9 and then you have Nosek and Lazar both for 4C. I’m just not for any rental with a high cost when those assets could be better used for the team next season (either on the roster or for a trade).

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think McLeod had any of the 5 on his junior teams. Cal Foote and Dube were however on the same team and are both 98s.
Nvm, idk why I thought McLeod was a Kelowna Rocket, you are correct. I will edit my post. Still in loads of trouble tho

Reactions: My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

We’re a bad team and not looking to be good anytime soon. The last thing we should be trading is second round picks, and we’re already missing our ‘24 second

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Nvm, idk why I thought McLeod was a Kelowna Rocket, you are correct. I will edit my post. Still in loads of trouble tho
Oh for sure but probably not AS much as player 1 and 2.

We’re a bad team and not looking to be good anytime soon. The last thing we should be trading is second round picks, and we’re already missing our ‘24 second
Not looking to be good anytime soon? Thats wild.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

giphy.gif

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I trust Fitz, last year he didn't look to add rentals, I think he'd similarly try to find players with useful term and or RFAs potentially if he's gonna move meaningful draft capital this deadline. I have to believe he sees the (potential) 1st and future 2nds as dry powder to address goaltending in the offseason and wouldn't move them unless it was truly worth it.

Henrique for a 2nd with no assurances he'd re-sign I think is just too pricey, given the team is a coinflip about to make the postseason. I know Henrique maybe is comfortable here and loves it yada yada but you can't read minds, especially for veteran players at the tail end of their career.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I trust Fitz, last year he didn't look to add rentals, I think he'd similarly try to find players with useful term and or RFAs potentially if he's gonna move meaningful draft capital this deadline. I have to believe he sees the (potential) 1st and future 2nds as dry powder to address goaltending in the offseason and wouldn't move them unless it was truly worth it.

Henrique for a 2nd with no assurances he'd re-sign I think is just too pricey, given the team is a coinflip about to make the postseason. I know Henrique maybe is comfortable here and loves it yada yada but you can't read minds, especially for veteran players at the tail end of their career.
Contract “Control” is something he brings up a lot. I’m sure he’ll look into rentals when the time is right, but right now isn’t the case.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Not looking to be good anytime soon? Thats wild.

I should have stated it a little differently. We won’t be good in the immediate future. I think we’ll be bad the rest of the season and next season, then probably good.

I assume you’re agreeing with my point since you posted a gif of the guy we got in a disastrous trade we made with second round picks because we thought we were going to be good.

IMG_3512.jpeg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Contract “Control” is something he brings up a lot. I’m sure he’ll look into rentals when the time is right, but right now isn’t the case.
Put it this way, if he wasn’t doing rentals last year when we were in a much better position, probably not doing them now - especially with Fitz having more long term security

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
What are you talking about? That totally supports the argument that when it comes to haircuts the team is bad. If he had some hair sticking up in the back he'd be a dead ringer for Alfalfa. Honestly, why he walks around with that mess is beyond me.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'd like for us to add Henrique for sure but I'd think the acquisition cost is high, but we could resign him short term if he would take it. Though I'd like to see us add a physical bottom six forward.

Lazar and Bastian are physical but outside of that we don't have much there. Timo you hope can step up in that area but even then he has not been as advertised in that regard (in addition to his offensive game).

Though this might be our 3rd most pressing need after G and D depth.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I should have stated it a little differently. We won’t be good in the immediate future. I think we’ll be bad the rest of the season and next season, then probably good.

I assume you’re agreeing with my point since you posted a gif of the guy we got in a disastrous trade we made with second round picks because we thought we were going to be good.

View attachment 812807
I'm curious why you think they'll be bad next season.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

You essentially covered yourself prior to quoting my post, but to say we're not looking to be good anytime soon is extreme over-exaggeration. We'll see what the rest of the year brings, but I don't envision Fitz sitting on his hands if the team misses out this year. He hasn't at any point that he's been the GM.

As far as making moves, though, I agree that the cost has to be right for the next move we make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad