Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm failing to see the advantage of claiming DeSimone. He's 29 and in his 7th full season of professional hockey. Until this season he had only played 4 games in the NHL. He currently has played 341 AHL games and with his 23 games this season 27 NHL games. Is he more valuable to the Devils than Hatakka or even Misyul?

As a Comets STH it doesn't upset me that the Devils would keep DeSimone in house as an extra D and let Hatakka and Misyul play in Utica. I would, however, not be pleased if they waived him, he cleared, and was then assigned to Utica. The Comets already have 6 vets and he would become 7 and force someone out of the lineup. As long as he's the guy sitting and watching - Okay. I know Coach Dineen and he will rotate 1 guy at a time out of the lineup. The Comets don't need another Vet D-man.

The D right now will be:
Vilen Russo
Vukojevic Wotherspoon
Misyul Hatakka

MacKinnon is the extra

Felix was sent back to Adirondack

When Jersey starts up again after the ASG break, they only have 6 roster D and that includes DeSimone. Unless someone (Smith) returns, the Comets lose one of those 6 and Felix is recalled.

Will Smith be back or is that just wishful thinking on the part of the Jersey posters.

Jersey also only has 12 forwards on the healthy roster and that includes Willman. If Jack returns, that would still require Willman to remain as the extra forward. Is Nosek expected to return at that time as well? That would free up Willman.

Hear tell Foote is skating. Is he even close? Does he need some Nico-type cyborg parts?

The Comets get stronger if the Devils do. Would be nice to see both teams get back to a semblance of normalcy.

Comets will not see Foote again as the Devils will not see McLeod. That's a given. Maybe Fitz pulls something to get someone like Henrique. What NHL/AHL players may end up changing rosters..

I think he is just nothing more than a Cal Foote replacement. They needed to pick someone up after losing two bodies "out of the blue" and he was free to grab.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm failing to see the advantage of claiming DeSimone. He's 29 and in his 7th full season of professional hockey. Until this season he had only played 4 games in the NHL. He currently has played 341 AHL games and with his 23 games this season 27 NHL games. Is he more valuable to the Devils than Hatakka or even Misyul?

As a Comets STH it doesn't upset me that the Devils would keep DeSimone in house as an extra D and let Hatakka and Misyul play in Utica. I would, however, not be pleased if they waived him, he cleared, and was then assigned to Utica. The Comets already have 6 vets and he would become 7 and force someone out of the lineup. As long as he's the guy sitting and watching - Okay. I know Coach Dineen and he will rotate 1 guy at a time out of the lineup. The Comets don't need another Vet D-man.

The D right now will be:
Vilen Russo
Vukojevic Wotherspoon
Misyul Hatakka

MacKinnon is the extra

Felix was sent back to Adirondack

When Jersey starts up again after the ASG break, they only have 6 roster D and that includes DeSimone. Unless someone (Smith) returns, the Comets lose one of those 6 and Felix is recalled.

Will Smith be back or is that just wishful thinking on the part of the Jersey posters.

Jersey also only has 12 forwards on the healthy roster and that includes Willman. If Jack returns, that would still require Willman to remain as the extra forward. Is Nosek expected to return at that time as well? That would free up Willman.

Hear tell Foote is skating. Is he even close? Does he need some Nico-type cyborg parts?

The Comets get stronger if the Devils do. Would be nice to see both teams get back to a semblance of normalcy.

Comets will not see Foote again as the Devils will not see McLeod. That's a given. Maybe Fitz pulls something to get someone like Henrique. What NHL/AHL players may end up changing rosters..

The Devils need an extra to sit in the press box, they aren’t going to do that to Misyul or Hatakka when they need to play. They’re both waiver exempt, they can be sent up and down at the drop of a hat.

If NJ waives DeSimone, I assume Calgary’s going to still want him if no one team keeps him for NHL desperation depth. He was the Wranglers most productive defenseman last season with 46 points, and 8 goals, in 65 GP. He had 8 points in 10 GP this season.

I’m curious if DeSimone ever gets to play in NJ, he probably won’t, but you never know.

When are guys getting back?
Other than Nosek is skating…

IMG_3114.jpeg

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
If its something stupid like a 3rd and some Utica prospect I would do it. No interest in first or second round picks. But I would think someone would give at least a 2nd.
That’s exactly what I was thinking, as well. 3rd + B level prospect. If it somehow gets it done, great…that’s about as far as I’d go and if Anaheim can get a 2nd elsewhere, good on them.

Reactions: Mgd31

xigon

Jun 13, 2019
There was this one twitter analyst -- I think it was bader(?) who was very high on Nemec pre-draft (more than any other scout), who was able to showcase Nemec's strong analytics, using his own analytical model. Even though he got a lot of hate -- I wonder how people feel about him now seeing Nemec's performance, especially when you factor in how good he has been analytically.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
There was this one twitter analyst -- I think it was bader(?) who was very high on Nemec pre-draft (more than any other scout), who was able to showcase Nemec's strong analytics, using his own analytical model. Even though he got a lot of hate -- I wonder how people feel about him now seeing Nemec's performance, especially when you factor in how good he has been analytically.
Yes Bader’s model was extremely high on Nemec

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I don't really want any rental players that cost a significant amount (2nd round pick and up/young roster player/top prospect). Devils don't really need forwards aside from the forwards getting healthy and I think the Devils would have to be really lucky for a good defenseman to come in and have his normal impact straight away while adjusting to the Devils system. If there's a Lazar like trade out there then that'd be fine.

Basically don't want to trade assets that could be used to fetch more in the offseason when teams aren't so cap constrained and/or trade away years of a RFA player for a player that ends up only playing like 30 games for the franchise.

The main thing I'd like to see from Fitz at the trade deadline is either get Toffoli on a reasonable 2 year deal and if Toffoli's agent is not down with that I think you'd have to trade him and get some assets that can be used for a goalie or something in the offseason. Teams are looking for a top 6 forward and I rather not lose Toffoli for nothing even if the Devils are in the playoff race (sort of like how the Blues traded Shattenkirk even though they were in the playoff race in 16-17).

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
So they see him as a high event guy? While he's had some struggles the past few games (as have a number of guys) he generally looks good overall to the eye test defensively. He makes plenty of sound defensive reads and plays. Enough that I don't see a guy that far below average defensively. Just my thoughts.
Yeah I agree. I don't see the 'bad defensively' thing at all. In fact on his best games you rarely notice him in our zone and he's a force in the Ozone.

Luke, you notice him everywhere, all the time, got good and for bad.

He goes out there....busts his ass (when others aren't).

He's a great teammate.

Great person.

Not a bad NHL player.

I never thought of him as nothing more than a depth player but he's grown on me.
He's been a terrific pickup. The comparisons to Sarge as a guy who works hard every game are warranted.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I'll tell ya what tho.

I had no idea that Miller could shoot the puck but he might have the second best shot but the best clapper on the team. Nuts.
That slapper of his against Wedge was probably the fastest shot I saw live at a game. I was amazed

I think that shot still ranks #1 hardest shot in the entire league this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad