Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Should get all our goalies looked at too while they're at it.

That's pretty neat though. Good observational skills by the Utica coaches
I remember Blackwood went through something similar with having really dry eyes. He thought it was normal, the doctor found that it wasn’t, and it caused blurred vision.

You’ll see Blackwood doing a lot of eye drops when he plays as the solution to the problem.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
How did Henrique go from waived to hot commodity?

I wouldn't pay anything more than 4th round. We need to stock back up especially at G C and W.
Guys who are overpaid weirdly get more valuable the older they get because the less term they have on their current contract. :lol:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Anyone who legit listened to the podcast with Friedman and Marek realizes that they brought up Henrique to NYR as well and with the Chytil injury being LTIR they make way more sense than us. There's no reason why this team should buy unless they have a tremendous February.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
For as much as people seemingly love Fitz as GM, most of you guys seem to have zero confidence in him and his staff being able to evaluate the coaching position.

I am sure that Ruff is on the hot seat to a degree and that he and his systems will be evaluated in the offseason (assuming he makes it that far, which I think will be the case). I don't automatically assume that if the Devils somehow claw their way into the playoffs and win a round that Fitz will be hoodwinked into keeping Ruff on board because of optics or whatever other reason people believe. Of course that would also mean that something had to go really right for this team down the stretch and maybe coaching wasn't as much of an issue as originally thought, but all this doom and gloom about Ruff finagling his way into keeping the head coaching spot into next season despite it being a clearly bad decision that everyone expect for Fitz can recognize seems overblown.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Anyone who legit listened to the podcast with Friedman and Marek realizes that they brought up Henrique to NYR as well and with the Chytil injury being LTIR they make way more sense than us. There's no reason why this team should buy unless they have a tremendous February.
that’s absurd. this team still wants to make the playoffs and with the injuries and thinness at center this is a perfect pickup if it doesn’t cost too much, and they shouldn’t wait until the end of february even

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
that’s absurd. this team still wants to make the playoffs and with the injuries and thinness at center this is a perfect pickup if it doesn’t cost too much, and they shouldn’t wait until the end of february even

At this point, I'd make a run at Henrique in UFA. He has consistently spoke about NJ glowingly and I'm sure he'd love to be on this team again. As for the other point, of course they still want to make it but most of their issues are on in house currently. Underachieving players, coach who's out of his element. What exactly is a trade going to do especially with the exorbitant prices we've heard about in net?

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
IMG_4948.jpeg

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Guys who are overpaid weirdly get more valuable the older they get because the less term they have on their current contract. :lol:
To add on to this:

At the time he was waived Rico was having the worst season of his career at 31 with 3 more years on his contract at 5.5m.

In the 2.5 years since he's been a .67PPG player and also solid defensively. (Also don't love the stat but being only a -9 over 170 games on a lottery team while averaging 17-18 minutes is surprisingly good)

Reactions: Guadana and HBK27

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
They're not very far out. I just don't think they can afford Henrique, though - he'd cost a late 1st or a 2nd+.
Correct. They are 1 game back of Philly who is the closest thing team to the Devils in terms of percentage. They do have Pittsburgh who is between the Devils and Flyers (a half game in front of NJ and half game back of Philly). But both situations are win the head to head games and you are probably in good shape.

If the teams gets healthy, shores up goaltending and adds reinforcements they can probably not only make the playoffs but maybe do damage. But I’m not sure they can slow play it until the deadline. If they are going to buy, they should buy now.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
That doesn’t add up to me. He’s allegedly terrible defensively and he’s a 94 overall? That math seems off.

In terms of xGF rates he's one of the top D in the league. I think it outweighs the xGA on other end.

He's basically a Hamilton clone right now without the big shot.

Its funny Hamilton is right up there only behind 2 of the EDM defensemen. I miss him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad