Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
In terms of xGF rates he's one of the top D in the league. I think it outweighs the xGA on other end.

He's basically a Hamilton clone right now without the big shot.

Its funny Hamilton is right up there only behind 2 of the EDM defensemen. I miss him.

And his shot is actually pretty good and heavy as compared to Luke's for example. It's just that Dougie's is otherworldly.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Every mention of Dougie makes me sad that he's been missing for so long.
IMG_5660.jpeg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
In terms of xGF rates he's one of the top D in the league. I think it outweighs the xGA on other end.

He's basically a Hamilton clone right now without the big shot.

Its funny Hamilton is right up there only behind 2 of the EDM defensemen. I miss him.
So they see him as a high event guy? While he's had some struggles the past few games (as have a number of guys) he generally looks good overall to the eye test defensively. He makes plenty of sound defensive reads and plays. Enough that I don't see a guy that far below average defensively. Just my thoughts.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
So they see him as a high event guy? While he's had some struggles the past few games (as have a number of guys) he generally looks good overall to the eye test defensively. He makes plenty of sound defensive reads and plays. Enough that I don't see a guy that far below average defensively. Just my thoughts.
Yea he's been a little rough defensively the last couple weeks since the Boston game, which is probably bringing down his score a lot, but he was much better before then and you see the ability. I think the break will be good for him too, he needs a reset. He got thrusted in a pretty big role for his first NHL experience.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Nemec presses high up the ice relative to the other defenseman when defending the rush. (And everywhere else and every other instance of play too).

This is great when he makes an effective play but does leave open space behind which other teams have exploited for big plays.

For me, I’d rather try to teach a guy how to tone down his aggression than try to make a timid guy realize when he should be trying to make a play so they aren’t mistakes that get me worried at this point.

I don’t think Nemec has been bad defensively but he has joined in on the Devils team theme of playing well and then breaking disastrously when mistakes do happen.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Nemec presses high up the ice relative to the other defenseman when defending the rush. (And everywhere else and every other instance of play too).

This is great when he makes an effective play but does leave open space behind which other teams have exploited for big plays.

For me, I’d rather try to teach a guy how to tone down his aggression than try to make a timid guy realize when he should be trying to make a play so they aren’t mistakes that get me worried at this point.

I don’t think Nemec has been bad defensively but he has joined in on the Devils team theme of playing well and then breaking disastrously when mistakes do happen.
My only systemic criticism of him has been to do more scouting of which guys on the other team can skate fast. At times he is a step behind when he gets surprised. With time and coaching and film work he will improve on that. Beyond that, given his usage, I'm surprised his card doesn't show a much higher quality of opponent. He's playing against the other team's top players most nights. That's tough in and of itself.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Lol is Jack supposed to play in the ASG? If so, what a kick in the balls if the Devils and league play him after being hurt. Send Bratt and end this non sense, he's equally deserving and maybe more than Jack this year

Reactions: glenwo2

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Lol is Jack supposed to play in the ASG? If so, what a kick in the balls if the Devils and league play him after being hurt. Send Bratt and end this non sense, he's equally deserving and maybe more than Jack this year
Didn't it come out saying he wasn't skating before the ASG? I figured he wouldn't be back until the week of the 12th.

aero8279

Aug 31, 2008
We aren't that far out at all
This is true but what have you seen so far this season that makes you think they can not only make it but go on some sort of run?

They were hanging on at the beginning due to their red hot powerplay. 5-on-5 they were pretty terrible. Tack on all the injuries, terrible goaltending, terrible defense/structure/scheme, and a bad penalty kill. This is not a recipe for success. This team, for whatever the reasons, at the moment doesn't have it and hasn't had it this season.

It's ok, these things happen in sports especially with a younger team.

The goal in the offseason has to be to find a way to get an actual good goalie. This will cost a steep price (Which is why I'm fine with just riding out the year as is. Leave those assets for the offseason moves that need to be made) but I don't see how they don't do it.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'm failing to see the advantage of claiming DeSimone. He's 29 and in his 7th full season of professional hockey. Until this season he had only played 4 games in the NHL. He currently has played 341 AHL games and with his 23 games this season 27 NHL games. Is he more valuable to the Devils than Hatakka or even Misyul?

As a Comets STH it doesn't upset me that the Devils would keep DeSimone in house as an extra D and let Hatakka and Misyul play in Utica. I would, however, not be pleased if they waived him, he cleared, and was then assigned to Utica. The Comets already have 6 vets and he would become 7 and force someone out of the lineup. As long as he's the guy sitting and watching - Okay. I know Coach Dineen and he will rotate 1 guy at a time out of the lineup. The Comets don't need another Vet D-man.

The D right now will be:
Vilen Russo
Vukojevic Wotherspoon
Misyul Hatakka

MacKinnon is the extra

Felix was sent back to Adirondack

When Jersey starts up again after the ASG break, they only have 6 roster D and that includes DeSimone. Unless someone (Smith) returns, the Comets lose one of those 6 and Felix is recalled.

Will Smith be back or is that just wishful thinking on the part of the Jersey posters.

Jersey also only has 12 forwards on the healthy roster and that includes Willman. If Jack returns, that would still require Willman to remain as the extra forward. Is Nosek expected to return at that time as well? That would free up Willman.

Hear tell Foote is skating. Is he even close? Does he need some Nico-type cyborg parts?

The Comets get stronger if the Devils do. Would be nice to see both teams get back to a semblance of normalcy.

Comets will not see Foote again as the Devils will not see McLeod. That's a given. Maybe Fitz pulls something to get someone like Henrique. What NHL/AHL players may end up changing rosters..

Last edited:

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
he better not play in that game

don't forget he got injured in that game last year
And then he got popped with a negative covid test upon returning from the 2022 game. That was the last set of tests they were giving to asymptomatic players.
Didn't he get hurt afterwards? He definitely played in a game after the break I remember.
I think he did play after that, maybe even several games, but I remember people speculating that he may have gotten hurt from getting tangled up with one of the Tkachuk’s in the ASG or whatever happened there.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm failing to see the advantage of claiming DeSimone. He's 29 and in his 7th full season of professional hockey. Until this season he had only played 4 games in the NHL. He currently has played 341 AHL games and with his 23 games this season 27 NHL games. Is he more valuable to the Devils than Hatakka or even Misyul?

As a Comets STH it doesn't upset me that the Devils would keep DeSimone in house as an extra D and let Hatakka and Misyul play in Utica. I would, however, not be pleased if they waived him, he cleared, and was then assigned to Utica. The Comets already have 6 vets and he would become 7 and force someone out of the lineup. As long as he's the guy sitting and watching - Okay. I know Coach Dineen and he will rotate 1 guy at a time out of the lineup. The Comets don't need another Vet D-man.

The D right now will be:
Vilen Russo
Vukojevic Wotherspoon
Misyul Hatakka

MacKinnon is the extra

Felix was sent back to Adirondack

When Jersey starts up again after the ASG break, they only have 6 roster D and that includes DeSimone. Unless someone (Smith) returns, the Comets lose one of those 6 and Felix is recalled.

Will Smith be back or is that just wishful thinking on the part of the Jersey posters.

Jersey also only has 12 forwards on the healthy roster and that includes Willman. If Jack returns, that would still require Willman to remain as the extra forward. Is Nosek expected to return at that time as well? That would free up Willman.

Hear tell Foote is skating. Is he even close? Does he need some Nico-type cyborg parts?

The Comets get stronger if the Devils do. Would be nice to see both teams get back to a semblance of normalcy.

Comets will not see Foote again as the Devils will not see McLeod. That's a given. Maybe Fitz pulls something to get someone like Henrique. What NHL/AHL players may end up changing rosters..
I think we just needed a body. The defense is far too young and inexperienced. He doesn’t have that many NHL games, but he’s been a pro longer than most of their other options, and he seems at least close to an NHLer.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This is true but what have you seen so far this season that makes you think they can not only make it but go on some sort of run?
They had a strong stretch after Vancouver game 1. They went something like 12-5-1 while being top 10 in GAA in that span. That’s the only stretch they were reasonably healthy in the season.

That was a 113 pt pace.

Were they playing as good as last season? Hell no, but they were easily playing well enough to be a comfortable playoff team. And then BAM, the second round of catastrophic injuries occurred.

So yes, there is some hope left for the team to improve and become a playoff team when they get healthy. But time is running out.

Edit: Also. Most likely the matchup is against Rangers in first round since Canes will most likely take the division. I like our chances against them again. So sneaking in at Metro 3 may give them the best matchup for the first round. So I hope they can pull it together and make it in. If not, thats OK. It’s still a big building block season for many reasons and will also light an even bigger fire under their ass next season

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think we just needed a body. The defense is far too young and inexperienced. He doesn’t have that many NHL games, but he’s been a pro longer than most of their other options, and he seems at least close to an NHLer.
Maybe, but I'm not impressed that's true.

Hatakka has played 12 NHL games and he's only a 3rd year pro.

I am just as pleased if DeSimone IS the guy they go with.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
How did Henrique go from waived to hot commodity?

I wouldn't pay anything more than 4th round. We need to stock back up especially at G C and W.

I'm not sure what went on with him during that weird COVID shortened 2020-21 season (possibly a bad bout of COVID), but that season and his sophomore year with you guys - really the only two negative blips in an otherwise pretty consistent career. Plus he wasn't even all that far behind his career norms in that 2020-21 season where he got waived, 21 points in 45 games for a guy that's consistently been just over the half point per game mark for the most part.

It was a puzzling decision by the Ducks at the time and looks dumb in retrospect, given how quickly he rebounded back to his usual self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad