Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Unfortunate Jack and Dougie got injured. Would’ve been cool to have them in this!

There's some photos of Jack circling with those on

Just realized the stadium jersey is literally the same template of our regular jerseys lmao mind blown

Lol ya, the crazy thing is if they flipped the colors like I said in the jersey thread then it'd probably be a top 3 jersey in franchise's history.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
1706373808124.png

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
There's some photos of Jack circling with those on

Lol ya, the crazy thing is if they flipped the colors like I said in the jersey thread then it'd probably be a top 3 jersey in franchise's history.
I don’t think an all black with dark red logo would look great, too abrasive IMO to each their own. This dark red with black logo goes pretty hard. It’s growing on me

Edit: guess we have to explain every little detail on here. I meant the inverse colors, obviously not an ENTIRE black jersey with no red stripes…

Last edited:
Reactions: Satans Hockey

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Reactions: Rhodes 81

palek1019

Oct 7, 2017
I just listened to that too.

I think we'll get a goalie coaching change at the end of the year. I think it's almost definitely coming.

Now, I did think Ruff was almost definitely being fired after 21-22 and I was way off with that. So I'm trying to not get too confident, but I'm pretty confident he's going. If he's staying then the front office has a lot more faith in him than we could have ever possibly imagined.

He's gotta go.

In non-Devils related stuff on that podcast. my opinion of Rick Bowness just went through the roof. I've been highly skeptical of his effectiveness as a head coach (not as an assistant) after he had literally lucked back into being brought back from the NHL head coaching dead because of what happened with Montgomery in Dallas.

He says a lot of insightful stuff and goes into how he sat down with Hellebuyck and asked him what he thinks the team needs to do better in front of him and to make his life easier for this year. Hellebuyck told him what he thought needed to be better and Bowness went and watched tape and saw the same things, then they came up with a plan to make things easier on him.
I really enjoyed the interview with Bowness. For the same reason. Talking to the goalie and asking him what he sees. Haven't watched much of the Jets except when they stomp on us as per usual, but their season is making more sense to after listening to that.

We'll see with Ruff. I like the guy, but don't think he's the right coach for this Devs team.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Huh?

Maybe provide a link to your post or something?

Not being obtuse here....I honestly cannot find your reply and you telling me to "go outside of here" is very vague.

It's all over reddit and twitter. No one deletes anything there, because they are not covering up for anybody. All names for every person involved are there including pictures. The "old gentlemen" is named and associated with NIKE Canada, and etc. All info, exactly what each person did.

Turns out M. McLead is not a 10 minute guy. No chance now.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
It's all over reddit and twitter. No one deletes anything there, because they are not covering up for anybody. All names for every person involved are there including pictures. The "old gentlemen" is named and associated with NIKE Canada, and etc. All info, exactly what each person did.

Ah.

That explains things.

You see, I have no account on Twitter and don't spend any time on Reddit.

I'll go check it out.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Imo I wouldn't trade Misyul he has progressed really well and he can skate but plays more of a stay at home role and has a pretty decent shot....Turcotte is trending towards being a bust imo....
Turcotte has been very good in the AHL this year. He plays a very good two-way game and can skate the lights out. The Devils have certainly lost a lot of team speed over the past two years, and Turcotte would inject that in the 4th line.

My trade scenario was simply a general guideline to give people the idea of a general cost.

Turcotte looks like what we need. I wonder what it would cost. Would Misyul or Hattakka plus a mid pick do it, since he's not really fitting there?
It wouldn't take too much in my opinion. Turcotte is buried on the LA depth chart and the Kings haven't seemed to prioritize his development.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Can you DM a link? I can't find anything specific other than this video being posted.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I really enjoyed the interview with Bowness. For the same reason. Talking to the goalie and asking him what he sees. Haven't watched much of the Jets except when they stomp on us as per usual, but their season is making more sense to after listening to that.

We'll see with Ruff. I like the guy, but don't think he's the right coach for this Devs team.
At the pro level, the best coach for the team is the player that leverages the skillsets of the best players on the team to generate wins. The Ruff hire made sense for that reason, with Jack Hughes/Hischier someone mentioned they wanted the swarm cause the in zone defensive responsibilities of the center are lessened, and of course the wide open pond hockey transition game is perfect for Jack Hughes, the rising Dmen as well. He was a great coach for the previous 2-3 years, not so sure about the future.

I hope Ruff goes and they find the right guy for this team's skaters, and the structure allows the goaltending to at least appear somewhat competent. Maybe it requires a coach to just simply be flexible and thoughtful like Bowness, and figure out how to make it work beyond "throw lines in the blender."

I can't keep looking at expected goal stats and telling myself they are totally unbiased and the Devils are just unlucky. I know that topic got beaten into the ground before the injury/mcleod stuff became the story of the season, but another coach could really make things clearer on that front.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
So two years ago we had like 8 crap goalies. And now we have 3 crap goalies?

Literally the worst goalie luck in the history of hockey?

LOL you guys are a hoot.
How many times are you going to attempt this godawful dunk? Schmid is .886 in the AHL this year, he’s just not playing well. Daws is coming off a major injury and hasn’t even been awful outside of a couple bad ones. Even with the stinkers, he’s giving up -.22 above expected per 60 to Vitek’s -.47.

We’ve had bad luck with goalies over the last few years in that the bandaids we’ve tried to get have just retired (Crawford, Bernier). The others guys we’ve trotted out were just too young, or old, shitty, and/or out of the league now. Not very hard to understand.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So two years ago we had like 8 crap goalies. And now we have 3 crap goalies?

Literally the worst goalie luck in the history of hockey?

LOL you guys are a hoot.
I don’t think this year’s goalies are as bad as 2021-2022’s goalies.

Even Vitek isn’t playing nearly as bad as Jon Gillies. Jon Gillies put up an .885% on an expected .905%.

Vitek this year is putting up an .885% on an expected .894%.

Vitek is playing very badly, but not as bad as Gillies or Hammond, adjusted for team play in front of them.

I think all models agree the 21-22 team actually played better in front of the goalies than the 23-24 team. Same for the 22-23 team, where basically we had two goalies that played well. Blackwood still sucked.

Reactions: My3Sons

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
How many times are you going to attempt this godawful dunk? Schmid is .886 in the AHL this year, he’s just not playing well. Daws is coming off a major injury and hasn’t even been awful outside of a couple bad ones. Even with the stinkers, he’s giving up -.22 above expected per 60 to Vitek’s -.47.

We’ve had bad luck with goalies over the last few years in that the bandaids we’ve tried to get have just retired (Crawford, Bernier). The others guys we’ve trotted out were just too young, or old, shitty, and/or out of the league now. Not very hard to understand.
Daws has played half as many games as Schmid and his stats are getting worse with each game. Let's revisit in a month or two.

Everything else - like I said, you choose to believe we have the worst goalie luck in history and that there's nothing else going on.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Blackwood has a .897 sv %
Kahkonen a .902

On a horrific Sharks team with horrendous D metrics.

You can still have close to average goaltending on bad D teams. Devils do not currently

Edit:
Mrazek .908 on Hawks
Gibson and Dostal .900 on Ducks

Etc etc, Devils are not doing things significantly worse than these teams who are bottom three in the league.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Holy shit, that piece of garbage was with Nike.

That make this real ironic.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Blackwood has a .897 sv %
Kahkonen a .902

On a horrific Sharks team with horrendous D metrics.

You can still have close to average goaltending on bad D teams. Devils do not currently

Edit:
Mrazek .908 on Hawks
Gibson and Dostal .900 on Ducks

Etc etc, Devils are not doing things significantly worse than these teams who are bottom three in the league.
Yeah and with the Devils - who are supposed to be a better team right? - Mackenzie had an .892 and .893 in his last two seasons with the team. He left to a different team - not even a good one! - and his stats improved.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Yeah and with the Devils - who are supposed to be a better team right? - Mackenzie had an .892 and .893 in his last two seasons with the team. He left to a different team - not even a good one! - and his stats improved.
Vitek and Schmid were good last season so you can’t point to Blackwood last season.

My point, these bottom dwellers are doing much worse than us and are still getting serviceable goaltending. Its just not debatable. If Devils were playing still like they were in October and November then fine, I wouldn’t bring this up. But since late November the team improved (before the second melee of injuries), the goaltending really hasn’t

Edit: I also don’t understand why you would point to Blackwood going to a worse team and having a similar save % to back up your point. That means it’s assumed that Vitek and Schmid should have been better on our team this year and put in the same numbers. But that’s EXACTLY the point I am making, they have not been good enough (Vitek at least, Schmid was serviceable IMO) Devils are good enough to have .895-.905 goalies here.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons and Triumph
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad