Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Need more women, less men. These jerseys are for people who think deodorant is optional. Islanders jersey is a big joke. Substandard league.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
LOL, I did the math. If Flyers lose in regulation tomorrow and we win, we have a higher pts % then them and hypothetically go into 3rd in the Metro

Division is ASS

1706363407266.gif

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Glen probably commenting right now so I have no clue what this discussion is about lmao. Still on his list for some reason
Apparently it’s a forced ban by a moderator and he’s not able to unblock you. If you also can’t see his posts then they’ve done the same to you from seeing his stuff.

Honestly, the only person on this entire site on my list is someone that was put there via forced ban. Someone on the Sharks forum that would immediately fight with me anytime I called out Martin Jones back in 2019 or so. This poster constantly blamed the team defense (sound familiar?) and that Jones has no chance on any of those. And the most leveling they did was “Yes, Jones is not good. He’s average. An average goalie can’t do well here” (sounds like a post from the Devils forum circa right now, right? :laugh:) and therefore we were forced to never speak again or read anything from each other again. :laugh:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think there's enough data already to prove Rogalski is a shit coach. Not enough data to prove the other stuff but I'm willing to bet that a better system alleviates a lot of the goalie problems.
I dunno who keeps up with Dimitri Filipovic and the hockeyPDOcast, but he has a great episode with Kevin Woodley about Edmonton. Everyone said their goalies looked broken to start the season while they were last in the league in high danger rush chances against. So of course they change coaches, send Campbell down to the minors, and suddenly they start to look like a cup contender now that they’re one of the best teams in the league at limiting rush chances.

I don’t think any of our goalies are future all stars, but it’s clear the defensive environment (or lack thereof) is selling them out on a nightly basis.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Dude, this forum is a closed box, everything posted here is deleted within 3 seconds.
Go outside of here to find out everything.
Huh?

Maybe provide a link to your post or something?

Not being obtuse here....I honestly cannot find your reply and you telling me to "go outside of here" is very vague.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I dunno who keeps up with Dimitri Filipovic and the hockeyPDOcast, but he has a great episode with Kevin Woodley about Edmonton. Everyone said their goalies looked broken to start the season while they were last in the league in high danger rush chances against. So of course they change coaches, send Campbell down to the minors, and suddenly they start to look like a cup contender now that they’re one of the best teams in the league at limiting rush chances.

I don’t think any of our goalies are future all stars, but it’s clear the defensive environment (or lack thereof) is selling them out on a nightly basis.
I don’t have it broken down by rush chances vs cycle, but the Devils are safely in the top half of the league in limiting high danger chances against, so this isn’t the case with them. The Devils goalies routinely give up goals against from low danger areas and they also have some of the worst high danger sv%s in the NHL, so it’s way more apparent that the Devils goalies are the weak link.

There’s also an implied assumption in that analysis that high danger rush chances are somehow more dangerous that high danger cycle chances, which I’m not sure I’ve seen any evidence to support.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So this girl (I never heard of her, but apparently she works for WFAN or somewhere up there) interviewed a few people at the sweep the deck event the other night and posted it to her YouTube page. One of them was Jack Hughes.

It came up on my YouTube sidebar, because it knows I watch Devils related stuff and the Devils YouTube channel. The algorithm and all that.

Jack makes it sound like he’s definitely playing the outdoor game. He sounded like he hopes to be back after the break or potentially even the all star game.

Now I forgot the woman’s name, so I can’t even link the video. I saw it yesterday.

Okay, I got it

Jack talks about how excited he is to play in the outdoor game, even before she asked him when he’ll be back. She doesn’t even ask him until almost the end of the video. I actually thought she was gonna behave herself and not even ask him the question lol. Good on her for asking and actually getting this interview, since no one else wants us to know anything.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

On moneypuck’s models, no goalie on the team had an expected save percentage at or above .900% so there’s a case to be made for this team giving up greater chances.

However, nobody is playing to expectations on that model either. Or any other model for that matter. Daws is close and was before last game. Schmid isn’t a mile below like Vitek is.

Vitek has an expected .894% and is putting out an .885%. And where the other two guys haven’t played nearly as many games, especially Daws, it’s much easier to fluctuate greatly based on one or two games. That isn’t the case with Vitek who is approaching 30 games played this season.

Vitek hasn’t been as bad as Jon Gillies or Louis Domingue, who were both .885% on an expected .905%. But he’s still been pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad