Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Does the league still have that stupid BS rule where if you don't play the all star game you get suspended for a game and aren't allowed to play the first game back?

I'm wondering if Jack can return in the first game back if he doesn't play at the all star game? We know he's going to the all star events, but if he doesn't play in the actual game, is he not allowed to play the first game back?
Jack is on IR. The league will not make him play or punish him for missing it

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Listening to 32 thoughts pod during work and they briefly talked about NJ goaltending struggles and Marek mentioned goaltending coaching after a text convo with someone and the importance of having a coach that can recognize the areas where improvement is needed and whether that goalie can actually improve in that area. Easier said than done, but more and more I don't think the goaltending woes will end with a goalie switch. Just seems like our goalies progressively get worse as the season goes along. And bringing in someone that isn't elite won't move the needle as much as others think.

Thought it was interesting to hear since most talk about how NJ just needs a goalie with nothing about coaching. And it's probably not as simple as that.

Posters here have dragged Rogalski, since we’ve haven’t seen many positive things happen since he’s started in 2020-21.

We’ve also bemoaned rivals having arguably the two best goalie coaches of this era, Benoit Allaire (NYR: 2004-05 to present) and Mitch Korn (WSH: 2014-15 to 2017-18, NYI: 2018-19 to present), but such is life.

Goalie coaching doesn’t get covered in the press here since hockey is poorly covered.

There was a good amount of press coverage when Benning almost didn’t keep Ian Clark, the Canucks’ great goalie coach, a few years ago.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That dark forest theory doesn't work for me. Man has blasted our existence out for a long time at this point. Long enough that a super sophisticated civilization could probably find us if they wanted to. My guess is that any civilization that could travel here would just send a probe of some sort to learn anything they wanted and we'd probably never notice it. If a society could bend space time to travel the vast distances they needed to get here I expect they could do better than the traditional UFOs that have been spotted or photographed. They be advanced enough that they could send some kind of probe that could give them such a detailed virtual reality experience right into their brains that would be the equivalent of being here without ever having to be here.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
That dark forest theory doesn't work for me. Man has blasted our existence out for a long time at this point. Long enough that a super sophisticated civilization could probably find us if they wanted to. My guess is that any civilization that could travel here would just send a probe of some sort to learn anything they wanted and we'd probably never notice it. If a society could bend space time to travel the vast distances they needed to get here I expect they could do better than the traditional UFOs that have been spotted or photographed. They be advanced enough that they could send some kind of probe that could give them such a detailed virtual reality experience right into their brains that would be the equivalent of being here without ever having to be here.

Shh. Please don't give away too much to the Earthlings.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
so the solution is to just keep doing what we are doing? throw away a season and then be right back in the summer with 3 teams maybe more looking for goalies and the same goalies "not worth" acquiring?

i dont care about giving up a second round pick to get a average goalie right now since an average goalie will be lightyears better then what we are getting now. as long as the team will be healthy before the playoffs and really only fitz knows this then he should be bringing in a goalie.

But it won't cost a second round pick. Are ready to part with a first? Mercer? Casey?

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
John Gibson for Mercer!

DEW IT FITZ!!!!!

John Gibson looks like he would win the hot dog or pie eating contest. And my only basis for that is he has nicer looking teeth.

On second thought, I think Dawson got some new teeth over the offseason, so maybe he wins that.
Would you like Henrique too ? I see that the Devils may be needing another forward LW/C, would really like to see him be part of a cup run again.

Reactions: Bleedred

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Now I want a dark forest cake
IMG_3358.jpeg

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would you like Henrique too ? I see that the Devils may be needing another forward LW/C, would really like to see him be part of a cup run again.
I would definitely be interested in Henrique, I think most of us would be.

I just don't know how much this team has left in it for any kind of a run this year. If we lose tomorrow night then we really find ourselves in a hole. But hey, if Jack Hughes is back first game out of the break? We could be okay.

I was kidding about the Mercer for Gibson stuff, just poking fun at the idea the Ducks would want Mercer for Gibson.

Hypothetically, I don't think I want another goalie here under this goalie coach. He shouldn't be allowed to touch another goalie here.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
IMG_1672.jpeg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
And @awegrzyn hopes McLoud is that guy?

the hell? :huh:

How would that be any better??

I don’t know if the same thing, but one player came to the room because he was told there was pizza, and assumed it was just a bunch of players hanging out, and left pretty quickly after discovering it was not that.

I don’t know what the player thought was going on, but if he didn’t do anything then that is different.

I don’t know if “pizza player” is even among the 5 named players though and I’ve been assuming he isn’t.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I don’t know if the same thing, but one player came to the room because he was told there was pizza, and assumed it was just a bunch of players hanging out, and left pretty quickly after discovering it was not that.

I don’t know what the player thought was going on, but if he didn’t do anything then that is different.

I don’t know if “pizza player” is even among the 5 named players though and I’ve been assuming he isn’t.
I don’t need another pizza gate in my life.

Reactions: Guadana

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Mcleod strikes me as the type of guy to leave angry as soon as he figured out he was tricked and there was no pizza. So I don't think that was him regardless.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Does the league still have that stupid BS rule where if you don't play the all star game you get suspended for a game and aren't allowed to play the first game back?

I'm wondering if Jack can return in the first game back if he doesn't play at the all star game? We know he's going to the all star events, but if he doesn't play in the actual game, is he not allowed to play the first game back?

the entire all star game is stupid but honestly if your going to have it and the players are selected then they should have to go and play. it is a fan driven event it always irked me when healthy players would get the call then say no thanks.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yes! Plus Fitz said Jack is going to the ASG but probably wont be on the ice.

So im sure we spoke to the league about this and explained the situation. League is prob happy they get to market him

Would be quite funny if they have Luke as Jack’s injury replacement if he can’t go, especially with Jack and Quinn being the captains of their own team.

I’m sure they could have fun with it at the all star draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad