Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Good lord everything is bad about this f***ing monstrosity of a shirt. (That little logo just floating there up top lol.)

View attachment 810886

I believe it's a branding requirement to have the complete logo somewhere on apparel that doesn't show a full, undistorted logo in the main image. They add in a little version of the logo to meet the requirement. A few other examples:

mens-fanatics-branded-new-jersey-devils-black-midnight-mascot-t-shirt_pi2874000_altimages_ff_2874574alt1_full.jpg

mens-fanatics-branded-red-new-jersey-devils-snow-logo-t-shirt_pi5059000_altimages_ff_5059993-8cd3ee64af3cd309f58aalt1_full.jpg

palek1019

Oct 7, 2017
Listening to 32 thoughts pod during work and they briefly talked about NJ goaltending struggles and Marek mentioned goaltending coaching after a text convo with someone and the importance of having a coach that can recognize the areas where improvement is needed and whether that goalie can actually improve in that area. Easier said than done, but more and more I don't think the goaltending woes will end with a goalie switch. Just seems like our goalies progressively get worse as the season goes along. And bringing in someone that isn't elite won't move the needle as much as others think.

Thought it was interesting to hear since most talk about how NJ just needs a goalie with nothing about coaching. And it's probably not as simple as that.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
There is a small chance/hope the "10 minute guy" is Michael Mclead, but it's a small chance.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Listening to 32 thoughts pod during work and they briefly talked about NJ goaltending struggles and Marek mentioned goaltending coaching after a text convo with someone and the importance of having a coach that can recognize the areas where improvement is needed and that that goalie can actually improve in that area. Easier said than done, but more and more I don't think the goaltending woes will end with a goalie switch. Just seems like our goalies progressively get worse as the season goes along. And bringing in someone that isn't elite won't move the needle as much as others think.

Thought it was interesting to hear since most talk about how NJ just needs a goalie with nothing about coaching. And it's probably not as simple as that.
I just listened to that too.

I think we'll get a goalie coaching change at the end of the year. I think it's almost definitely coming.

Now, I did think Ruff was almost definitely being fired after 21-22 and I was way off with that. So I'm trying to not get too confident, but I'm pretty confident he's going. If he's staying then the front office has a lot more faith in him than we could have ever possibly imagined.

He's gotta go.

In non-Devils related stuff on that podcast. my opinion of Rick Bowness just went through the roof. I've been highly skeptical of his effectiveness as a head coach (not as an assistant) after he had literally lucked back into being brought back from the NHL head coaching dead because of what happened with Montgomery in Dallas.

He says a lot of insightful stuff and goes into how he sat down with Hellebuyck and asked him what he thinks the team needs to do better in front of him and to make his life easier for this year. Hellebuyck told him what he thought needed to be better and Bowness went and watched tape and saw the same things, then they came up with a plan to make things easier on him.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Oh great! I hope it's nothing to serious, whatever it is.

Whatever it is, it probably involved leaving Tampa and going back home, so I'm sure he's not gonna play tomorrow night.

Vitek starting (again in Tampa, where he cost us the last game) and can't even keep up with who is and isn't in the lineup, my friends not really wanting to make the trip across the state to meet up with me and the boat parade in Tampa tomorrow afternoon, I really don't think I'm gonna go.

I've been tossing it back and forth. So have they. Weather looks rainy for tomorrow (at least on their side of the state) and they like to make the trip on their bikes, which they won't if it's raining. We keep joking it's a game time decision.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Listening to 32 thoughts pod during work and they briefly talked about NJ goaltending struggles and Marek mentioned goaltending coaching after a text convo with someone and the importance of having a coach that can recognize the areas where improvement is needed and whether that goalie can actually improve in that area. Easier said than done, but more and more I don't think the goaltending woes will end with a goalie switch. Just seems like our goalies progressively get worse as the season goes along. And bringing in someone that isn't elite won't move the needle as much as others think.

Daws missed two wraparound goals. Was close to be caught by the same way many times, defensemen helped. So he can't do it because of lack of technique or because goalie coach can't tell how to change it.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Whatever it is, it probably involved leaving Tampa and going back home, so I'm sure he's not gonna play tomorrow night.

Vitek starting (again in Tampa, where he cost us the last game) and can't even keep up with who is and isn't in the lineup, my friends not really wanting to make the trip across the state to meet up with me and the boat parade in Tampa tomorrow afternoon, I really don't think I'm gonna go.

I've been tossing it back and forth. So have they. Weather looks rainy for tomorrow (at least on their side of the state) and they like to make the trip on their bikes, which they won't if it's raining. We keep joking it's a game time decision.
someone mentioned "probably the baby" on twitter -- was mrs haula preggo?

Reactions: Bleedred

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Bringing Melanson back seems worthwhile. He had success with Vancouver and I thought did fine while in NJ. Not sure if he'd work for the people who booted him, though.

Otherwise, maybe see what Clemmensen can do? He seems to be doing ok in the minors. Daws and Schmid developed pretty well, as have Poulter and now the Adirondack goalies.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bringing Melanson back seems worthwhile. He had success with Vancouver and I thought did fine while in NJ. Not sure if he'd work for the people who booted him, though.

Otherwise, maybe see what Clemmensen can do? He seems to be doing ok in the minors. Daws and Schmid developed pretty well, as have Poulter and now the Adirondack goalies.
Clemmensen isn't the actual goalie coach in the minors. I think he's just the ''Goalie development coach''. I think he works with all the goalies in the organization.

Firing Melanson was probably a mistake. It was fixing something that wasn't broken. Blackwood was developing fine under him.

Blackwood had a history of not being good in the AHL before the poor NHL play started, so there's a pretty good chance he was going to suck anyway, but I think it was a bummer that they moved on from Melanson as soon as they moved on from Cory and bought him out. Cory was declining before Melanson came, which is why Melanson was brought here in the first place.

I know it was the new GM wanting to pick his own guy (Marty basically admitted he made the hire), but we've seen certain goalie coaches survive years and years and several GM changes with the same team.

The sad part is that Rogalski has now been here one more year than Melanson was.

I'm not sure if bringing back Melanson is the way to go, but he certainly shouldn't have been fired when he was, but I think that ship has sailed.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My buddy just got tickets to the SS game and I scoffed at it. But then he said,”think of it this way, it’s an experience you’ll remember and the Devs don’t get this often. Maybe they will from now on with Jack and a young, fun team but I rather go to this one than wait and see“. Now I’m debating going alone.

Then we watched the sunset and debated if extraterrestrial life exists and if they would attend the game.
I think it's statistically almost a certainty that extraterrestrial life exists. It's just unlikely that it would visit Earth beyond maybe a microbe hitching a ride on a comet or asteroid.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Does the league still have that stupid BS rule where if you don't play the all star game you get suspended for a game and aren't allowed to play the first game back?

I'm wondering if Jack can return in the first game back if he doesn't play at the all star game? We know he's going to the all star events, but if he doesn't play in the actual game, is he not allowed to play the first game back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad