Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
No games tomorrow will impact our playoff standing. Get a win in Tampa and they just may be in WC2 or Metro 3 on pts % going into the break

Wild I know, but its there
despite how moribund this stretch has been…they’ve literally treaded water and pulled off some huge wins despite no Jack and all the other injuries. All we’ve been asking for.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
A W would've been huge last night. Especially with Carolina on the back end of a back to back with travel. Alas we aren't totally dead in the water and I think that's what we were all hoping for.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
You are the optimists. If we win in Tampa? LOL

4-1 TBL see you next week. Is the 2024 Draft thread up?

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
We could definitely have beaten Carolina last night. We outshot them in the first period, and also in the third by a wide margin. The second period had a 26 second lapse and was otherwise okay, although Carolina outplayed us in that stanza overall.

The lines that did better were the more physical lines. This is where I agree with the posters that point out that Ruff has no gameplan B. When A works, great. But when B (a more grinding, physical, lunchpail effort) would suit, we don't invest in it. There's the reason the Holtz line drove play and created chances, and scored. How we didn't pot another with all the pucks loose right in the slot and a crappy goalie like Raanta playing is beyond me, we should have tied it and gotten to OT even as it was.

That's the story of this season. A lot of missed opportunities and deserve-to-win-o-meter victories in losses. DESPITE all the injuries and distractions. Daws was abysmal. All three goals seemed stoppable. I saw the two right in front of me in 2nd period, and they were bad. The 3rd GA was him being out of position off his post. The goal in the first was one of the best players in the league on a semi breakaway, but my god man, get your glove off your hip. You allowed him 25% of the net to shoot at!

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Has any team ever ... made a deal with a KHL team? I mean I know I've harped on the KHL route and @Guadana tempered that enthusiasm with a much shorter list than I was hoping for, but there ARE goalies in late 20s there that are not on the reserve lists of NHL teams that have > .910 save percentages consistently. I'm down with trying one, even giving up some cash in exchange (since we couldn't give up players or picks obviously).

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
No thanks......Cost will be way too high

lol when are costs going to not be high? goalies are always going to be in demand you want to roll into next year with another version of vitek?

If they win on Sat, they will end a Jack less (pretty much) January with a .500 record. Not bad.

if they had actual average goalie play they probably would've squeaked out a couple more wins but i get it people are afraid of "high price" to get a goalie lol. rather throw the season away instead of trying to fix it

Reactions: glenwo2

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Devils need a goalie, still and badly.

There are, however, no goalies worth acquiring available and there's probably 3 other teams in the market.

c'est la vie
We should just sign Halak and hope he can be an okay backup for the second half of the season. I’d rather that than give up a 2nd round pick for a guy that will be .05% better than Vitek.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Has any team ever ... made a deal with a KHL team? I mean I know I've harped on the KHL route and @Guadana tempered that enthusiasm with a much shorter list than I was hoping for, but there ARE goalies in late 20s there that are not on the reserve lists of NHL teams that have > .910 save percentages consistently. I'm down with trying one, even giving up some cash in exchange (since we couldn't give up players or picks obviously).
No. And there's no good way to do it because there's no transfer agreement.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

billy-madison-comedy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad