Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Devils need a goalie, still and badly.

There are, however, no goalies worth acquiring available and there's probably 3 other teams in the market.

c'est la vie

so the solution is to just keep doing what we are doing? throw away a season and then be right back in the summer with 3 teams maybe more looking for goalies and the same goalies "not worth" acquiring?

i dont care about giving up a second round pick to get a average goalie right now since an average goalie will be lightyears better then what we are getting now. as long as the team will be healthy before the playoffs and really only fitz knows this then he should be bringing in a goalie.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

billy-madison-comedy.gif

they are building these things up so much that the release will be extreme mid

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
so the solution is to just keep doing what we are doing? throw away a season and then be right back in the summer with 3 teams maybe more looking for goalies and the same goalies "not worth" acquiring?

i dont care about giving up a second round pick to get a average goalie right now since an average goalie will be lightyears better then what we are getting now. as long as the team will be healthy before the playoffs and really only fitz knows this then he should be bringing in a goalie.
The question is: who is this average goalie we can get for a second round pick, and how do you know they'll perform at league average here?

It's not like Vitek was awful before he came to the Devils. He should be around league average. If it's just a second to get Allen, let's go get him. But, getting Markstrom, or Gibson, or Merzlikins? Allen is at least just next year on his deal - those other guys guys are higher salary and longer term. If they don't work out, it's not just this season that's lost.

Sometimes you have to take a short term loss in order to avoid a longer term disaster.

Edit: But, I agree with you that the Devils should be trying something. It's why I'm frustrated they didn't claim Spencer Martin. Martin may not be any good, but at least gamble on change of scenery. He was on waivers and has an expiring contract. Not claiming him felt like hubris to me.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The question is: who is this average goalie we can get for a second round pick, and how do you know they'll perform at league average here?

It's not like Vitek was awful before he came to the Devils. He should be around league average. If it's just a second to get Allen, let's go get him. But, getting Markstrom, or Gibson, or Merzlikins? Allen is at least just next year on his deal - those other guys guys are higher salary and longer term. If they don't work out, it's not just this season that's lost.

Sometimes you have to take a short term loss in order to avoid a longer term disaster.

Edit: But, I agree with you that the Devils should be trying something. It's why I'm frustrated they didn't claim Spencer Martin. Martin may not be any good, but at least gamble on change of scenery. He was on waivers and has an expiring contract. Not claiming him felt like hubris to me.

i dont know who the average goalie is and i dont know if they will perform average here but you still have to try because i do know that vitek is not playing average. how do you know in the summer whoever you bring in will be any better? you don't but you still have to make that change in the summer.

prices aren't going to come down from what they are now if they do then it would be extremely minimal. same teams are going to be looking that are looking now and the same unknowns will be there.

no i'm sorry but i'm glad they didn't bring him in i honestly have no idea who he was and seeing he only had 50 games played no thank you. if they bring someone in it has to be a proven somewhat past successful goalie at the minimum. you said it yourself vitek wasn't awful on paper when he got here and look how that turned out. if they make 1 move to bring a goalie in this year or in the summer it can't be another project unknown type cast off goalie.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

I'm not sure there's actually an average goalie available for a 2nd. And even if the team is healthy for the playoffs, dougie is certainly going to be rusty, and as we saw his first year here, it can take months to be really straight after a serious injury. Just don't know what the team is gonna be playing like come April.

I support making a move, but when you're desperate you have to be twice as careful, because that's when you make moves that kill contention windows.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Any move for a goalie has to be for someone that can be acquired without mortgaging the future, playing for a team that's actually willing to trade them, and is either good enough that you're willing to commit to them long-term or someone that you're not going to be tied to with 2+ years remaining. There just aren't many options out there that fit the bill.

If it was as simple as trading a 2nd for someone you were reasonably sure would be an upgrade it would have been done already. Also keep in mind that our 1st and 2nd this year are complicated because of the Meier trade.
I could not care less about the jersey or the outdoor game. I feel like I'm in the minority and I don't know why it's such a big deal.
I think both of these would be more hyped if the team wasn't in the spot it's in. New jerseys are always interesting but are typically more wasted potential than anything, but there's always the chance they're a good design or at least have some good auxiliary merch (Hat hat).

The outdoor games are mid for me. The winter classic is a cool tradition but the others don't have much shine.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Stop. Even in a hard season the Stadium game is still something special. Only the second time we were in one of these FFS. Also, it will probably be an important game now since Flyers are slipping and Jack should be back by then, if Devils can hang around the bubble

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I could not care less about the jersey or the outdoor game. I feel like I'm in the minority and I don't know why it's such a big deal.
I don't think it is actually a "big deal" but it's an 82 game season that can get boring whether winning or losing. So having one game that will be in a unique setting with a unique look gets some buzz. It's just a point in time to look forward to, like the All star game, but the results actually matter.

No one is looking at it like the super bowl, but just a fun change of pace.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
My buddy just got tickets to the SS game and I scoffed at it. But then he said,”think of it this way, it’s an experience you’ll remember and the Devs don’t get this often. Maybe they will from now on with Jack and a young, fun team but I rather go to this one than wait and see“. Now I’m debating going alone.

Then we watched the sunset and debated if extraterrestrial life exists and if they would attend the game.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Stop. Even in a hard season the Stadium game is still something special. Only the second time we were in one of these FFS. Also, it will probably be an important game now since Flyers are slipping and Jack should be back by then, if Devils can hang around the bubble
I do think I would be much more enthused about it if I were local and could go or at least participate in the fanfare. It's just too bad it wasn't last year when we were rolling is all.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
My buddy just got tickets to the SS game and I scoffed at it. But then he said,”think of it this way, it’s an experience you’ll remember and the Devs don’t get this often. Maybe they will from now on with Jack and a young, fun team but I rather go to this one than wait and see“. Now I’m debating going alone.

Then we watched the sunset and debated if extraterrestrial life exists and if they would attend the game.
sometimes i wonder if Vitek is of this planet

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I really despise chrome helmets. The brighter and shiny they are, the worse it is.

Vegas and LA are horrible but I "might" be able to tolerate the softer blue that Vancouver has released. if these are red chrome I will probably want to vomit but black chrome could be ok.
These are beautiful IMO
IMG_3300.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad