Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I know we don’t need to keep bringing Sharangovich up again and again, but this is important. I stopped following his page when he was traded, but I just decided to check it again, but three days ago he posted a pic of his completed 10,000 piece Eiffel Tower Lego set :laugh: I love it.

Still the easiest guy to root for. Really happy he’s doing well in Calgary

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Dougie on LTIR officially, go get Henrique + goalie

I know we don’t need to keep bringing Sharangovich up again and again, but this is important. I stopped following his page when he was traded, but I just decided to check it again, but three days ago he posted a pic of his completed 10,000 piece Eiffel Tower Lego set :laugh: I love it.

Still the easiest guy to root for. Really happy he’s doing well in Calgary

After the events of yesterday in the hockey world, this is proof a lot of the guys are aloof introverts lol

Reactions: glenwo2

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The other dumb thing about the Foote signing is they got caught with him on the roster when this went down so now they are stuck with him on the cap as I believe suspensions (when they happen) still count.

In related news. Though this was going to eventually happen regardless come deadline time.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Need some nerd to explain what this all means for NJ's cap space.

They can basically exceed the cap by Dougie’s salary while he is out (that’s the short simplified version, but it is more complicated).

They were holding off on doing for as long as they could for cap reasons, but having McLeod and Foote still count against the cap pushing them over the cap.

Reactions: OmNomNom

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The other dumb thing about the Foote signing is they got caught with him on the roster when this went down so now they are stuck with him on the cap as I believe suspensions (when they happen) still count.

In related news. Though this was going to eventually happen regardless come deadline time.

I think it's different once they're charged, I think the same thing happened with Slava Voynov and the Kings but I'd have to double check

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
you look back at all the times you cheer for mike this year last year when we all knew what happened but we didn't know who was involved why? because the 5 that are being charged didn't come forward and say they were the ones being investigated the other members of the team didn't come out and say they were innocent so we could narrow down the ones that were outed yesterday. everyone on that roster should be held accountable i'm not talking legally for those not in the room but their role in keeping quiet enabled those 5 players to make money they shouldn't have play when they shouldn't have and now that game 7 win is a little tainted. should've never been in that position

i would have more "respect" and i use that very loose for those 5 players if they came out and made a statement we were in the room we are the ones being investigated but it was all consensual we didn't do anything wrong. to hide so you could play smh thats just double wrong they should've voluntarily stepped away

Some of this… is really something but no player was going to make a statement about what happened before the investigation.

There were different statements made:

Dillon Dube:
"All of CBC News' questions will be asked and answered during the pending NHL investigation. Dillon did not engage in any wrongdoing, and he co-operated fully with the independent London Police Service investigation in 2018, through which all players were then cleared of any wrongdoing.

"Naming Dillon or attempting to associate him in any way with alleged criminal wrongdoing, or alleging that he was not co-operative with the London police or was unwilling to co-operate with Hockey Canada, will constitute materially false statements constituting defamation causing serious financial and reputational harm," David Cowan, agent for Dubé wrote to CBC.

In a Sept. 23 media appearance, Dubé told a Sportsnet columnist that "I've co-operated in any way possible and will continue co-operating. I've done everything I can to co-operate."

"I will continue to do that. With it going on, I wish I could share more, but that's kind of all I can share up to this point," Dubé said.

He added to his statement the next day:

"With (the investigation) going on, I wish I could share more. But that's all I can share to this point. I would love to be transparent. I know that's all I can really say on it to be honest. For me, I wish I could tell."

Carter Hart: (Part of a statement about several players)
Toronto lawyer Scott Fenton wrote to Global News at the time that his firm represents one of these players and that he consulted with counsel for the other players. He declined to identify that player. He told Global:

"None of the players you reference engaged in any wrongdoing, all of the players co-operated fully with the independent London Police Service investigation in 2018, and all players were then cleared of any wrongdoing.

"Naming any of these players now, or attempting to associate any of them in any way with alleged criminal wrongdoing, or alleging that they were not co-operative with the London police or willing to co-operate with Hockey Canada will constitute materially false statements constituting defamation causing serious financial and reputational harm," Fenton wrote to Global News.

McLeod:
"I am aware of the situation in 2018 and the investigation and I've been co-operative through the entire investigation and process, but since it's still ongoing, I'm unable to comment any further," McLeod told NJ.com.

Cal Foote:
Foote's agent Kurt Overhardt told Global News his client was not involved in the alleged sexual assault.

Alex Formenton:
No public statement

So Cal Foote, through his agent, lied. That’s why he was never one of the names of bandied about as one of the potential 5 (or 8) involved.

No one knew exactly which 16 guys were involved.

We don’t know what happened with Ottawa and Formenton, so assuming they had “secret insider” knowledge is baseless.

It sucks that this happens but it was always a possibility before Jan. Unless you wanted McLeod dumped to potentially prevent this before it happened I don’t have a ton of sympathy with “Fitz knew or should have known and shielded us from it”. I just don’t.

This is ugly but life can be ugly. You got kids? Well there’s a lesson for them.

People are upset because they became emotional invested in a player charged with sexual assault. Demanding other people shield us from reality is bizarre to me.

Everyone loves the idea of risk mitigation after something goes wrong but never before.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Miller - 491 career GP (nagging injury)
Marino - 298 career GP
Bahl - 111 career GP
Hughes - 47 career GP
DeSimone - 27 career GP
Nemec - 24 career GP
Satakka - 10 career GP
Misyul - 0 career GP

Your 2023-34 New Jersey Devils!

Damn, I only expected this to last a year with injuries, not another 10 :laugh:

Weekes has been annoying with the eye thing, but hopefully something comes out of it. We could use a distraction and a win tonight.

He's been pretty spot on with the Devils using it, the Timo stuff in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad