Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Crazy how if we could steal today and Saturday in TB the entire season turns right back around
That's the thing about being an average team, you're no worse than a lot of other average teams that hang around all season and could go to two drastically different places in the standings with a 3 game win or loss streak. We went straight from being out of it by Thanksgiving to being dominant last year, so we never got to experience this again after not being in this position for so long.

The fact that we're still in this position despite all the injuries and the goaltending situation is a testament to how much talent there is here.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
What about KHL UFA goalers? I know you‘ve mentioned a few in the past year or so. I would hope Fitz and the gang are looking at all solutions especially in the KHL and Finnish Elite League since they have players there they are watching.

Every goalie should play in AHL. You never know how new goalie will show himself in the new environment. And even good ahl performance show mostly nothing. We can’t wait even 1B and I think 2A situation from goalies outside NHL. But we can find ahl starter easily with potential to try him in Nhl.

I will start with my two traditional candidates.

Isaev is one of my most interesting goalies. But he isnt available for two seasons. He is 23 yo, he is 93% last two seasons, 91,3% season before, had decent career before.

Nikolaev was very decent before, but this season is a pure mess with only two games, awful limited performance, injuries and more experienced starters ahead of him. He signed for next season two, but maaaay be he will want to end the deal. It’s just speculation, I don’t have any real reason to think this way.
___

Konovalov signed for this season only. The problem is he is only 182 sm(6’0) and he tried himself in oilers ahl team, 17 games, 89,3%. Five seasons as KHL starter, 92+% average.

Berdin played for jets system, some seasons in ahl were good, some were not so good, 188 sm, signed for one more season. He is playing in Sochi, has 91,5% in his two last seasons, Sochi isn’t good defensive team.
___

Lozebnikov is 25yo 190sm goalie with only one season as KHL ~starter with 92.2% in 17 games, with decent career in VHL before. Don’t think that he is a first option, but still. Signed for one more season.

Krasotkin is 26 yo, had long and stable KHL career, 7 seasons with 92+% average. 184 sm, signed for two more seasons.
___

Shutov is 25 yo 189 sm from Kazakhstan. He is playing for Barys, this team isn’t good in defending too, he has 91.3% and it’s his the first full KHL season. He had decent career in KZ league before. Was best in the KZ league in 5years or so. He signed for this season only.

Dorozhko is 25 yo 190sm goalie with two solid seasons in Vityaz, had good(not great) VHL career before. Sign for this season only.

Shchetilin is a good option for AHL - very decent career in VHL, 23 yo, 190 sm, 93-94% in his last 3 years, signed for this season only.
___

Draft

Its too early but Belorussian Moyseevich is great in his limited time in KHL, great in VHL too. He is 19 yo and signed to 26/27, so it’s an option for draft. God, I hope we will draft him. 93.1% in VHL in 19 yo, 196 sm, mobile and reactive. I will be mad if we will not take him.

20yo Gamzin had decent career to be drafted. 188 sm, 95.5% in 5 games in KHL, 92.2% in 14 games in VHL this year,/ 92.2% in 22 games in mhl, 91,2% in 5 games in VHL year before.

20yo Ilya Nabokov(good goalie last name) signed for next season too. 184 sm, he is KHL starter this season, 92% in 21 games, decent career before.

20yo Berezhnoy is a decent option, 194 sm, decent career, 92.9% this season in VHL. Signed for this and next season.

20yo Aryevyev is a decent option too, 194 sm, decent career, 92.2% in VHL this season. Signed for this season only.

Dorozhko looks like a real option to sign him for AHL, he had experience and still okay age for goalie. And not only him. Devils are playing with young Schmid as a backup and now young Daws and young Poulter looks like the only working option for Utica. Fitz should be more active on the market, he should be more active on the draft. But I still have a felling he isnt looking in this direction and I want to blame goalie coach and goalie scouts.

This is my "old" post from this season. Anyway KHL goalies are not proven until they are proven in NHL. Like any other goalies. So we should have solid starter to try to use good KHL goalie as a backup and watch how things will going. Better to start them in AHL, give them some opportunity and watch.
So Im not ready to say "sign Ivanov\Petrov\Sidorov" and stay with duo of VV\Russianov. I dont like this idea. Or Kahkonen\Lankinen\Vejmelka\Nedelkovic\Stolarz with Russianov as a backup. Or two experienced NHL goalies with Russian goalie and young goalies as a third\fourth option. Or solid NHL starter with stable starter experience with Russian goalie or young goalies as a backups.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Devils really should’ve claimed Mitchell Stephens, even without the benefit of hindsight re: Mcleod. I feel like there’s more D depth than center depth in the org right now. Imagine Hischier or Mercer have to sit a few games? We’d be back to putting out lineups that’ll get written on toilet paper in 10 years.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'd be all over Henrique at this point if you want a replacement C for McLeod/overall depth. It would also allow Jack to take time since Henrique can play 2C/3C perfectly fine until he gets back.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Of course, I couldn't agree with you more on Logan Morrison. I think he's going to be a very good NHLer.

If I was going to look for an under-the-radar, low-trade-cost option to give a shot as 4C, I would certainly give a look to Alex Turcotte, who has really been buried on the Los Angeles depth chart and, in my opinion, not developed particularly well by the team.

Turcotte is a terrific skater who plays a high-compete two-way game. It's highly unlikely he ever develops into the big-time, top-six scorer LA envisioned when they drafted him #5 overall, but he's looked very good in the AHL this year in my opinion and is NHL ready.

The Kings top organizational need right now is probably LD, where the Devils just happen to be organizationally pretty deep. Another interesting factor is that Jack Hughes and Alex Turcotte are apparently pretty close friends. A realistic trade scenario would be something along the lines of Misyul + Bowers + mid-round pick for Turcotte, which is certainly manageable. The Devils would have to offer a bit more simply because of the optics of trading a former #5 overall pick, but I doubt it would be too heavy with Turcotte unlikely to get a shot to squeeze into the Kings' C rotation of Kopitar/Dubois/Danault.
Turcotte looks like what we need. I wonder what it would cost. Would Misyul or Hattakka plus a mid pick do it, since he's not really fitting there?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Turcotte looks like what we need. I wonder what it would cost. Would Misyul or Hattakka plus a mid pick do it, since he's not really fitting there?

I'd be weary of Turcotte cause of the concussion issues he's had, but would be a very very nice get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad