Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Putting aside the centers, NJ's defense is incredibly young and inexperienced. Bahl and Nemec as the first pair? Both good players but how many NHL games between them? Luke on a second pair with a somewhat struggling Marino? How many NHL games for Hatakka? Eventually this would be a very good defense corps but I'm not sure that day is now. To me this is a bigger issue in the short term than the loss of McLeod. We know the NJ goalies need a fair amount of defensive support and that is going to be tough.
Yeah, this is why when people are complaining about defensive breakdowns, particularly recently, I'm trying to judge if it was something systemic or simply a mistake in execution. I've come away from most games thinking it was the 2nd one. Not saying a simpler system wouldn't help cut back on those, but you can understand why Fitz might forgive some of that when evaluating Ruff this season.

Current D by career games and games with Devils:
Miller 491 (25)
Marino 298 (109)
Bahl 111
Hughes 47
Nemec 24
Hatakka 10 (1)

Only 2 of the current group has played a full season and 3 are rookies this year. We also have a ton of journeymen in the forward group right now that haven't been playing in this system, lines constantly jumbled due to injuries where we haven't really even been able to keep consistent forward pairs together, and Marino and Seigs have both been up and down as they've played. It's a mess asking for defensive breakdowns.
Back to other team stuff.

Wtf are we going to do now. We have like 2 guys that are legitimate faceoff guys. And Haula who can fill in.

Nico, nosek (injured), Haula.

Hughes and mercer are bad at it.
Nosek was great last year and is about 55% for his career, so he could be the new faceoff guy in OT/important defensive zone situations when he comes back. For now, it's basically Nico but it's important to remember there are only a handful of faceoffs each game that truly matter.
Henrique would at least help repair the vibes of this season.
Yeah, I wasn't really along for the Henrique ride previously but if we still have a serious run in us we probably do need a replacement 3C. Right now we need a fully healthy forward roster to ice 4 truly good lines. It would be a fun story to salvage something out of the year with him along for the ride.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I really want us to claim Ruziczka. Buddies with Nemec, had 20 Points in 40 games last year, fallen off a bit this year BUT hes 6'4 and could add some grit to the roster as well in the Bottom 6
I would like to claim him but I think part of his issue is he plays with zero grit. Maybe a new team could motivate him.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
where jersey
IMG_3031.jpeg

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
acknowledging* they don't matter ;)
We can have this debate again but we know where we both stand. Everything that happens in a game matters, you would ideally like to win every category of stats, you can win with out winning them all and a lot of time you can win with losing most. But saying getting possession to start a play no matter how often it leads to a turnover or goal or nothing at all, "doesn't matter," isn't far off from saying shots don't matter cuz only a small % go in. Obviously more extreme, but still, you want to be better at most things that decide a hockey game.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
About goalies. I truly think there will be enough one back up/1b level goalie

Kahkonen
View attachment 810046

Nedelkovic
View attachment 810047

Lankinen
View attachment 810048

All of them are UFA, all of them will be cheap. And I believe VV will be much better with experienced backup, will be calmer and will play better, especially when he will hit the cold streak, team can easily roll on the new goalie with young backup as a tandem. It will be cheap and productive to use three or even four goalies with two experienced goalies.

Because even with great career, Ullmark will be 32 when his next deal will start. He will have Hellebuyck level deal and we don't know how long he will be on the level, goalies are not working well in nhl now after 32-34 years.
I don't think Saros is realistically available for what we can pay for him.
I don't think Askarov or Wallstedt are available at all.
I don't believe Markstrom, he is 34, he is on a bad deal, his injury history isn't good and Fitz should learn something from Bernier/Crawford/Schneider story.
Gibson is the same story, younger, but worser deal, worser injury history, less consistency in recent years.

I would be happy, if Fitz will trade VV+ for Vejmelka AND sign Lankinen/Nedelkovic/Kahkonen or Stolarz with Daws/Schmid as third goalies for rotation and more AHL starts.

What about KHL UFA goalers? I know you‘ve mentioned a few in the past year or so. I would hope Fitz and the gang are looking at all solutions especially in the KHL and Finnish Elite League since they have players there they are watching.

Reactions: Guadana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad