Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
"new jersey devils stadium series jersey" AI generated. Let's see how close it is. I can't imagine they wouldn't wear pants though.

1706205171147.png

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
It's been about 7 or 8 years since I bought a hockey jersey. Both the jersey jersey and the white/green reverse retros have tempted me mightily, but man if any of those had been modeled by a woman about to play hockey with no pants I think it would have sold me. That's peak fashion right there.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Let's move on from the monday morning quarterbacking of "the Devils organization". The bottom line is that the entire 2018 WJC team was suspect that that was not too long ago. The entire team. Until this moved forward and homed in on the players that would have to be called to answer, the entire team was suspect. Canada still produces the most NHLers, and their WJC teams are major injectors of talent into pro leagues. So let's pull back from that. You have to trust who they are and some posters alluded to the reality that 5-6 years later you might be a different person.

That doesn't mean you get a pass on what you did.

That doesn't mean the poor woman at the heart of this deserves any less justice.

The only thing we should say is that the organization did not do enough to plug the center depth. Our own @StevenToddIves was begging us to sign Logan Morrison and we never did, now he's with Seattle's AHL team and looking decent there. There have been others. We're so deep on defense it's silly, perhaps we can turn that into a 3rd/4th line C prospect.

This is bad for the team, bad for the players, bad for the league, bad for Hockey Canada, it's just a bad situation. Hot takes and half-formed opinions from even less information doesn't help.
Of course, I couldn't agree with you more on Logan Morrison. I think he's going to be a very good NHLer.

If I was going to look for an under-the-radar, low-trade-cost option to give a shot as 4C, I would certainly give a look to Alex Turcotte, who has really been buried on the Los Angeles depth chart and, in my opinion, not developed particularly well by the team.

Turcotte is a terrific skater who plays a high-compete two-way game. It's highly unlikely he ever develops into the big-time, top-six scorer LA envisioned when they drafted him #5 overall, but he's looked very good in the AHL this year in my opinion and is NHL ready.

The Kings top organizational need right now is probably LD, where the Devils just happen to be organizationally pretty deep. Another interesting factor is that Jack Hughes and Alex Turcotte are apparently pretty close friends. A realistic trade scenario would be something along the lines of Misyul + Bowers + mid-round pick for Turcotte, which is certainly manageable. The Devils would have to offer a bit more simply because of the optics of trading a former #5 overall pick, but I doubt it would be too heavy with Turcotte unlikely to get a shot to squeeze into the Kings' C rotation of Kopitar/Dubois/Danault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad