Devils Rangers line brawl to start the game (8 game misconducts given out)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
These guys want to fight, go in the ring and try to be Muhammad Ali or Jack Dempsey. I saw enough of this garbage in the 1970s, etc. People are wondering “why did the referees throw the players who fought out of the game?” Hello CTE !. Ever hear of it?Yeah, Bettman weasels around it by saying it isn’t proven but we know it is; he and the owners don’t want to pay(and the NHLPA is quiet on protecting players long term health too). The game is exciting and tough enough that you don’t need this nonsense.
You may think so.
But the players decide game to game how it's played. Not fans.
Although 18,000 were standing and cheering. Obviously impressed.
Turn the channel and Reaves is scrapping away dropping a Bolt. Canucks game two guys going toe to toe.
All over the highlights first thing this morning.

You can tell the players to "go try be Ali or Dempsey if they wanna fight"........or you could go watch curling if ya don't want you see fights in hockey.

Made for a great start to the game in New York. 4-3 game that went down to the final seconds. Much better game than the 5-0 game of shinny in Dallas where the Oil mailed in the third period..
I watched both. No contest in which was the better game.

Last edited:

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
While I have been catching up on this thread, my Dungeons & Dragons text group (all 40 something’s like me) have been buzzing about this all morning. I am the lone hockey die hard, there are two other “kind of” casuals out of the 8 of us.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
But the devils do suck and had their players get pummeled all over the ice in return for the Rangers agreeing to the staged fight. Absolutely humiliating in a long season of humiliation for the little devils.

Really no reason to have to lie like this.

Here's how the Rangers beat writer for The Athletic described the fights:

1712233918249.png

One "tussle" and one "wrested" = Devils players got "pummeled all over the ice" to you.

Here's the best view of the fights.

In the first undercard, Lazar quickly gets Vesey's helmet off but I'm not sure either player really connects with any punches.

Goodrow and Bahl is a whole lot of nothing, as Bahl's long reach kept Goodrow at a good distance so nothing was connecting there.

Touba and Tierney was a wrestling match - I guess you give that to Trouba since he at least tried to throw some punches?

Miller and Marino decidedly goes to Miller, as he gets 2-3 licks in.

For the main event, you've got to give the W to MacDermid.

The Mercer-Cuylle scrap was also a good one. Both players got a few good shots in - probably a draw.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Rempe's pretty unrefined as a fighter. He fought like 12 times or something in his junior career but then really picked it up last season in Hartford where he fought 9 times. He's 21, if he wants this to be his game he obviously has a lot to learn, or even with his size, strength, and reach, he'll get caved by more skilled fighters even if they're a lot smaller.
Matt Rempe is fun and I'm happy he showed up. However, he's kind of like Peter McNeeley. Big guy, willing and able to take a punch, and certainly not afraid of anything. Pretty much an average fighter who got lucky and got a shot. Super fun to watch though, I'll give him that.

The fact that he is on a whopping 404 PM in this day and age and already been suspended is incredible. I appreciate him, no doubt. Just glad I've been here to see the solar eclipse that is Matt Rempe. I suspect it won't last long and it'll be a long time before we see another.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Nice to see the devils show some frustration over a terrible season. This is not their style but they spent all year getting beat up, it had to boil over at some point. Rangers also got their revenge for going limp in the playoffs last year. Devils will be back for some more next season.

Yeah, Devils had to respond in this game and it's great for the rivalry.

With some proper goaltending and coaching, some health and a few other tweaks to the team, the Devils should be back next season.

Reactions: RANDOMH3RO

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
What I'm mostly curious about is how exactly the refs determined which players were the secondary fighters.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Really wish Rempe would’ve gotten his lunch fed to him a bit more. Oh well

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Yeah, Devils had to respond in this game and it's great for the rivalry.

With some proper goaltending and coaching, some health and a few other tweaks to the team, the Devils should be back next season.
If you asked rangers fans their thoughts after game 7 last year they would have wanted Panarin gone and their core gutted because they’re all 30 and can’t get the job done. Now those 30+ year old players are taking them to a great regular season finish. A lot can change in a summer. Devils will do the same. They won’t have everything possible go wrong two years in a row.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
What I'm mostly curious about is how exactly the refs determined which players were the secondary fighters.

I mean...it was clear as day which fight broke out first. I posted a screen shot earlier - Lazar/Vesey were throwing punches before any other player had their gloves off.

Reactions: sepster

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Tell you what that was a lot of fun. All of the frustrations from the season aside, this needed to happen.

Without talking about what hits are good what hits are dirty or whatever, all three Devil/Ranger games this year leading up to this one has resulted in Devils players getting injured. This HAD to happen.

I'm not sure what Lavi was so pissed about... the Rangers get last change at home. He put Rempe out there. I can guarantee you if the Rangers healthy scratch Rempe, the Rangers win this game 5-1.

I know it's pathetic, but this season has been an embarrassment for us. This team finally stepping up for each other after doing zero in the first three games... it had to happen.

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
Green didn't tell his team to start a line brawl. In fact, seems to be the opposite that happened. If Green was going for a line brawl, he would've at least put Smith in over Marino.

Again, this all doesn't go down if Rempe had answered the bell in the first place the previous game. Or maybe not concussed a player with an elbow to the jaw and acted like a complete douchebag as he was being tossed from the game.

View attachment 845845
Watch the video- Marino sort out Miller, he skated over center ice to where Miller was at the Rangers blueline. Please stop playing Mr innocent here. Both teams knew what was happening before it happened- Marino thought he was picking the weak link and still got his butt handed to him!

Reactions: sepster

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I didn't watch the game, but given the Cuylle board, Devils didn't go far enough, and all of the misconducts ended up protecting the Rangers.

imo this is bad for the league. When the Islanders did it vs. the Penguins, the league wasn't really prepared. And the Islanders had an effect - it fundamentally changed Matt Cooke's position on his team for his team & the league, which was necessary. And it was necessary because the league failed. Now the fight night weapon has been nerfed by the league. I guess teams need to find a new approach to vigilantism.

I'm not say that the misconducts were wrong. Probably, they're fine, on their own. the problem is, as it always is, that the league does not protect its players from injuries caused intentionally or through negligence. The league simply does not handle dangerously reckless players (much less cheap sideshows), and that's at the root of this.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The whole "this wouldn't have happened if Rempe answered the bell last game" is such a whiny ass excuse for what happened.

The best revenge is winning on the scoreboard, but the Devils were more concerned about the sideshow. Last game too. Meanwhile, the Rangers basically put a dagger in any hope the Devils might have had going into last night.

Reactions: egelband

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Watch the video- Marino sort out Miller, he skated over center ice to where Miller was at the Rangers blueline. Please stop playing Mr innocent here. Both teams knew what was happening before it happened- Marino thought he was picking the weak link and still got his butt handed to him!

LOL..."watch the video". I posted the video earlier and gave a description of each fight just a few posts back.

I was responding to a poster that suggested that Green told NJ players to start a line brawl, which absolutely did not happen.

Again, if that was NJ's plan to have all 5 guys scrap, then why wasn't Smith (their best if not only fighter on defense) in the starting lineup instead of Marino?

You really think that Marino thought he was "picking on the weakest link" by going after a guy that's got 4 inches and 30 pounds on him?!?!?

1712238349508.png
1712238366420.png

Again, not sure why Ranger fans keep feeling the need to lie in this thread.

Last edited:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
That's a bad take.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
LOL..."watch the video". I posted the video earlier and gave a description of each fight just a few posts back.

I was responding to a poster that suggested that Green told NJ players to start a line brawl, which absolutely did not happen.

Again, if that was NJ's plan to have all 5 guys scrap, then why wasn't Smith (their best if not only fighter on defense) in the starting lineup instead of Marino?

You really think that Marino though he was "picking on the weakest link" by going after a guy that's got 4 inches and 30 pounds on him?!?!?

View attachment 845870 View attachment 845871

Again, not sure why Ranger fans keep feeling the need to lie in this thread.

I mean... you're not wrong... but that's in a vacuum. By the time the defense picked dancing partners the forwards were already squared off. Marino got to pick between Trouba and Miller.

He did pick the lesser fighter of the two (I don't think Miller has had an NHL scrap before this... but maybe I'm wrong).

That said, if both coaches knew what was going to happen, I think you would have seen Cuylle and Lindgren out there for the Rangers rather than Vesey and Miller, and Smith rather than Marino.

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
the league does not protect its players from injuries caused intentionally or through negligence. The league simply does not handle dangerously reckless players
Idk it seems like the league intervenes all the time.

For instance,
Feb 22: Rempe is ejected for a headshot.
March 11: Rempe is ejected for a headshot
March 12: Rempe is suspended 4 games for the 3/11 headshot
April 3: Rempe is ejected for fighting in a second altercation

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think fans need to understand the difference between getting smoked, ass handed, and losing a fight to a much better fighter.

As NYR fans, we don't want Rempe eating punches all the time at age 21. Well, at least the sane fans don't want that. What we want is for him to make other players scared to make plays and turn the puck over with him crashing the net. If he can't successfully do that he has no place on the roster. Because he's not going to earn consistent minutes just throwing down every game.

The good news is that no matter who you have step up with him, he's still going to have players fear him on the ice, but there's a fine line between fear him because he's reckless and fear him because he's a big boy, and that's something Rempe needs to work on.

Also, it's literally the same 3-4 fans on each side here, all the time. Stop lumping an entire fanbase into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad