News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Maybe if he lives up to his absolute maximum potential... Immediately, but he's a long way from being worth a mid-late 1st, let alone 10th overall.

Ahh yes, HFBoards and drastically over estimating the worth of draft picks.

Truly a tale as old as time.
No, you're overestimating the value of goaltenders on the trade market. Any comparable examples you would like to share?

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
There are no examples because teams that have proven elite goaltenders don’t let go off them for nothing but overpays…

It’s almost the same as saying top 10 centers in the NHL don’t get you a high value in trade because there are no examples of it.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Really not like the 10th overall is some sure thing either that fans like to think of it. Sure you could get an Evan Bouchard or Mikko Rantanen, could also easily be Slater Koekkoek or Cody Hodgson or Tyler Boucher or Dylan McIlrath. Or somebody mid like Jost or Podkolzin.

Koekkoek, Boucher, and McIlrath were big reaches and those picks were criticized at the time. The recent history of 10OA picks has been pretty good and this draft in particular seems pretty strong in the top 10-14.

There are no examples because teams that have proven elite goaltenders don’t let go off them for nothing but overpays…

It’s almost the same as saying top 10 centers in the NHL don’t get you a high value in trade because there are no examples of it.

Jack Eichel?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Markstrom an elite goalie? The guy with a combined sub .900 SV% over the last 2 seasons?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Markstrom an elite goalie? The guy with a combined sub .900 SV% over the last 2 seasons?

He's a victim of age and playing on a bad team in those 2 seasons. Both are factors. Certainly not elite level at age 34 but I feel he would be a legit top 15 starter if he was on a better team.

Goalies and team D typically go hand/hand. Not many goalies can shelter a bad team D.

The other layer to this is supply/demand. Several teams are looking for goalie upgrades so that will dictate the trade value.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Fans never want to trade draft picks because they have a much longer term view of their team's success. GMs are in it different, their jobs are on the line and they need to get results sooner rather than later. If the Devils miss the playoffs again next year it's his ass, or at the very least it's his ass on the hot seat.

Generally speaking this may be true but is certainly not the case for all GM's.

Fitzgerald has clearly articulated his long-term vision for this team and he received a promotion and multi-year extension earlier this year - even as the Devils were struggling on the ice. He has no history of making panic moves and his seat is not even lukewarm. The Devils are owned by a $12 billion company that has a number of other sports team and entertainment interests - it's not like they have an owner that is solely focused on the Devils and demanding immediate results.

Fitz said last offseason that he was looking to acquire a goalie, but never pulled the trigger as there wasn't a deal there that he liked. Even when the Devils were slipping from playoff contention last season he didn't make a panic move for a goalie. There's nothing in his GM history to suggest he'll do that going forward or start to prioritize short-term results in a transparent attempt to save his job.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To a certain extent, though Markstrom's NMC and how he decides to utilize it will also play a big role in the return.

This is also true but we don't know how many teams he would open it up too. Is it 3 teams or 5+. That part is something we usually don't know with guys being moved with NMC. Sometimes the player really does give the GM a hard time but then other times, the player wants out so bad that he opens up to 10 teams.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Jack Eichel?
I don’t think anyone saw him as a proven top 10 center, also very unique situation with the experimental-neck surgery and trade request.

Not talking about any specific goalies, but purely the fact that Markstrom is on the market tells you that he isn’t on that tier of elite

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I don’t think anyone saw him as a proven top 10 center, also very unique situation with the experimental-neck surgery and trade request.

Not talking about any specific goalies, but purely the fact that Markstrom is on the market tells you that he isn’t on that tier of elite

I think we probably agree here. Legitimate elite goalies like Shesterkin or Sorokin would get an enormous return, but none of the goalies rumored to be on the market are at that level, and those kinds of goalies are almost never traded.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Fans never want to trade draft picks because they have a much longer term view of their team's success. GMs are in it different, their jobs are on the line and they need to get results sooner rather than later. If the Devils miss the playoffs again next year it's his ass, or at the very least it's his ass on the hot seat.

Yes and no. I agree that GMs can be short sighted, however history hasn't shown them to be particularly short sighted with that kind of asset for an old player (or even a goalie, though there are some instances). So there is absolutely a limit on how short sighted they have been.

As the league has embraced more data, I think you're seeing that go away. There are also more teams that embrace the analytics now. Every team knows aging curves. The same way you don't see elite prospects get moved for Martin Erat any longer. You don't see top 10 picks get moved for skaters or goalies in their 30s. I can't remember the last time it happened in the cap era. Top 10 picks rarely get moved for goalies the Varlamov and Schneider trades are over a decade old now. Every now and again you may see a GM gamble a top 10 pick on a younger skater with only a couple of years control, but my guess is that they are typically doing that under the idea that they can get that person locked up long term and aren't viewing it as strictly a 2 year proposition.

I think Markstrom will be a devil when all is said and done, and while I wouldn't completely rule it out, I don't expect it to be at the cost of pick #10.

I watched Brad Treliving piss away years of a promising young core with bandaid stop gap goalies and cheap 'up and comers'. It wasn't the only problem with the roster but it was a major one. There's only so many reliable starters who can give you above average goaltending with the lion's share of games in this league right now, Markstrom happens to be one of them. Do I think he's worth the 10th overall straight up? No not really, but it's not absurd either. With some retention and/or a pick going out with him that could definitely make sense.
You can definitely make a trade work on paper in terms of value. I wouldn't argue that (and it's also the reason I wouldn't rule out the team moving that pick in such a deal). I mean, it's the #10 pick, not connor mcdavid, so I'm certainly with you there.

Really not like the 10th overall is some sure thing either that fans like to think of it. Sure you could get an Evan Bouchard or Mikko Rantanen, could also easily be Slater Koekkoek or Cody Hodgson or Tyler Boucher or Dylan McIlrath. Or somebody mid like Jost or Podkolzin.

Nope, but you do have that upside. And even if that #10 pick is fairly mid, the multiple years of indentured servitude that they have to endure during their RFA seasons does make them fairly valuable from a dollar cost perspective.

Some of the variance is also offset by the fact that someone like markstrom could just suck and probably isn't going to be around longer than two years. Markstrom should have less variance than a draft pick, but he isn't impervious to just straight up being bad the next two years before his career is over.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

I watched Brad Treliving piss away years of a promising young core with bandaid stop gap goalies and cheap 'up and comers'. It wasn't the only problem with the roster but it was a major one. There's only so many reliable starters who can give you above average goaltending with the lion's share of games in this league right now, Markstrom happens to be one of them. Do I think he's worth the 10th overall straight up? No not really, but it's not absurd either. With some retention and/or a pick going out with him that could definitely make sense.

Except Jacob Markstrom going into his age 35 and 36 season is not some sure thing at all. He was actively detrimental to the flames and a BIG part of why they missed the playoffs in 20-21 and 22-23. And now he's reaching the part of the aging curve that is generally very steep downward, and very few guys are able to maintain a high starters workload as they age.

Nobody thinks a top 10 pick is a sure thing. The value of picks are not about the quality of player you get, it's about the value of the cap savings you get.

If you get a player that turns into even a quality middle 6 winger, a 3C, or a 4D, that's going to cost you 4-5 mill a year in UFA. The draft pick gets it to you for 900k, and then 4 more years of RFA control (that, based on how NHL leverage works, you can very very often turn into 11 more years of a bargain, bridge+long term deal)

The reigning vezina winner was traded for future considerations like 2 years ago

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
He's a victim of age and playing on a bad team in those 2 seasons. Both are factors. Certainly not elite level at age 34 but I feel he would be a legit top 15 starter if he was on a better team.

Goalies and team D typically go hand/hand. Not many goalies can shelter a bad team D.

The other layer to this is supply/demand. Several teams are looking for goalie upgrades so that will dictate the trade value.
Markstrom was great this season, but last season Markstrom played a huge role in why Calgary failed to make the playoffs. One can chalk it up as an off year in 2022-2023, since the year before, Markstrom had a Vezina level season (Before shitting the bed against the Oilers). Still, Markstrom's bad 2022-2023 had him playing behind a strong team defense.

Reactions: dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Markstrom was great this season, but last season Markstrom played a huge role in why Calgary failed to make the playoffs. One can chalk it up as an off year in 2022-2023, since the year before, Markstrom had a Vezina level season (Before shitting the bed against the Oilers). Still, Markstrom's bad 2022-2023 had him playing behind a strong team defense.
He was also a disaster in 20-21 and a big part of why calgasry missed the playoffs that year too.

So in 2/4 years he's been actively detrimental to his teams efforts to make the playoffs. And now he's about to be 35 years old.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Something as a Devils fan I wish he did less of, we went to the complete opposite of the silence from Lou to Fitz stating his mind overly too much with the media lol
NJ can’t directly call Markstrom’s agent and tell him to demand Calgary trade him so this is the closest they can get to signaling that. If Markstrom doesn’t take an active role in this on some level I’m skeptical it gets done. If NJ wanted to trade a first for him it would have happened already. It’s essentially time to move on for both parties unless Markstrom pushes it along.

Reactions: HBK27

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
With Charlie Lindgren taking over as the starter in Washington and Shepard and Stevenson putting up numbers for Hershey, could Darcy Kuemper be the "name" goalie the Devils pursue?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It is difficult for me to see NJ trading the 10th overall pick for Markstrom, based on what we have historically seen in terms of goalie trades.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
At this point it seems that if NJ is going for Markstrom they want the 10th OA in return. I’m guessing the holdup is what Calgary is going to add to even it out.
Wouldn’t 3m (50%) be enough?

Also, my guess is the holdup would be NJ trying to avoid trading 10th OA and going with 2025 1st and Holtz or something instead. And maybe wanting the same retention but Conroy likely wanting 10th OA more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad