News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Way too much IMO.

Assuming NJ was interested in Gibson (a big assumption), I think Gibson @ 30% retained for 10OA would be fair. Gibson has 3 years left on a deal that would cost NJ $4.5 million per year. That's not bad value if NJ believes he can still be an upper tier NHL goalie.
I think Verbeek would like to sign some RHD so Vaakanainen should be available if he wants to give Zellweger games. Devils have alot of openings on their blueline and Urho would be a really young and cheap signing. Verbeek also wants to sign right-shot forwards and Max gives additional grit and size to the Devils that got bullied by the Rangers. I don't think Verbeek wants to retain at all on Gibson so that's why I think he would be willing to give up the picks in order to select a guy he really likes at 10th. Devils probably would send over contracts they want to move on from, maybe like a Nolan Foote?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Way too much IMO.

Assuming NJ was interested in Gibson (a big assumption), I think Gibson @ 30% retained for 10OA would be fair. Gibson has 3 years left on a deal that would cost NJ $4.5 million per year. That's not bad value if NJ believes he can still be an upper tier NHL goalie.
John Gibson is probably still close to worthless at 4.5 million dollars.
Screen Shot 2024-06-04 at 12.22.09 PM.png

We are onto a half decade straight of below average play from gibson

Reactions: HBK27

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I think the Devils are open to trading 10oa and are looking for a goalie, not they're looking to trade 10 for a goalie.
Fitz is trying to get an impact player that helps the team now for 10 and is also looking for a goalie. Two transactions, not one.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think the Devils are open to trading 10oa and are looking for a goalie, not they're looking to trade 10 for a goalie.
Fitz is trying to get an impact player that helps the team now for 10 and is also looking for a goalie. Two transactions, not one.
EG:

10th+something for Fehervary+17th

17th for Ullmark

Something like that

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Not necessarily for the 10th overall but I wonder if John Gibson could fit for the devils. Hes had sub par years the last 2 seasons but he’s playing on a young lottery team with thin defense. Also, Dostal looks like he’s ready to be a starter.

Devils traded a top10 pick for Schneider once upon a time. I don’t think Gibson is where Schneider was at that time as far as value though.

I don't know if anyone has done a deep dive on it, but I'm curious what the difference between Gibson and Elvis is the last three years. Its weird how Elvis is poison in that regard but Gibson still has this hold over people

Reactions: HBK27

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
I think Verbeek would like to sign some RHD so Vaakanainen should be available if he wants to give Zellweger games. Devils have alot of openings on their blueline and Urho would be a really young and cheap signing. Verbeek also wants to sign right-shot forwards and Max gives additional grit and size to the Devils that got bullied by the Rangers. I don't think Verbeek wants to retain at all on Gibson so that's why I think he would be willing to give up the picks in order to select a guy he really likes at 10th. Devils probably would send over contracts they want to move on from, maybe like a Nolan Foote?
They don’t have any openings on the blue line at all. They have rookies. Don’t think they want to send Hughes and Nemec back to the AHL, and they can’t with Marino/Siegenthaler/Hamilton. I don’t see how Vaakanainen is any better than Bahl. I also don’t see how Gibson is any better than Vanecek over the last 4 years who they just paid to get rid of. For the 10th overall pick all those players are contracts and cap dumps, not interesting.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Would SJ trade back Mackenzie Blackwood for that?
Obviously. No way Jersey would want him back, never mind for the 10th overall. He’s been solid in SJ but he burned his bridges in NJ and he’s only a year from free agency anyway.

would dostal be fair
Dostal is a solid young goaltender but he isn’t nearly proven enough to land a top-10 puck.

Better offer than Gibson at least…

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Devils do not have a lot of openings on their blueline.

Hamilton, Siegenthaler, Marino, Hughes and Nemec are 5 locks. Bahl has been inconsistent, but shown flashes and has 159 NHL games under his belt at 23 years old. He could rebound and hold the #6 slot, though I wouldn't be surprised to see NJ look for another long-term solution at LD beyond Hughes and Siegenthaler. DeSimone played well down the stretch last season and could be a #7, while Hatakka also looked good in limited action and would have to clear waivers if sent down next season. Misyul also may be an option - think the Devils add a vet, but they could go with what they have in-house.

There is no possible deal that would involve Gibson and the #10 pick though. None.

Also, if the Devils wanted to move on from Foote (doubtful), they could just not qualify him as he's an RFA.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
As it is, I agree with others in the thread who have said that these are two separate things. The devils are willing to trade the #10 overall pick. The devils are also dead set on acquiring a goalie.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Trading the #10 overall pick for a 33 and 34 year old who probably can't be counted on for much longer seems like a really bad notion.

If each of those guys bottomed out starting this season, it wouldn't be shocking at all.

I think we have to include someone younger.

What's the main piece in the package then?

Andersson, Vegas pick and Vancouvers pick(don’t all of them of course) I don’t think the Devils would need that because they have a lot of D, hopefully with another team.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Hmm assuming that NJ really needs a goaltender that badly, that's a lot of teams I can think of that needs a reasonable 1G including LA, TOR, maybe EDM, etc.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think we have to include someone younger.

Andersson, Vegas pick and Vancouvers pick(don’t all of them of course) I don’t think the Devils would need that because they have a lot of D, hopefully with another team.
Definitely wouldn't be all of them. If they could move Hamilton to recoup some value, maybe Andersson would work. I don't think those picks are what they'd want, but of course I don't speak for the Devils.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Thinking about this more, anyone proposing Saros/Ullmark/Markstrom for 10th overall is way out to lunch. I still don't see a goalie fit that'd be worth the pick 10.

For forwards, I'm really starting to wonder about Brady Tkachuk. There's been a lot of smoke around him. There's the Fitzgerald connection. Gotta think NJ could easily offer up a package of 10th+Mercer/Holtz. I just don't know what else would need to be added and how the cap would work
There is no chance Brady is traded this offseason and if he was, it wouldnt be for anything close to your proposed package. Devils probably have the piece to get it done, but he's wearing the C for them like Brady is for Ottawa.

Saros or Ullmark with an extension will probably return something close to the 10th overall. Maybe add a 2nd or something coming from BOS or NSH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad