Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Good lineup. A couple of minor adjustments from me:
1. I'll start Nolan Foote in AHL, even if that means him going through waivers and potentially losing him. I'll drop Bastian to the 13th forward spot and see if we can bring in another tough and physical 4th liner that can actually play. Pospisil would of been perfect if we got him from Markstrom trade.
2. Giving Holtz another chance with a new coach? I'm in two minds because Toffoli's production needs to be replaced and i just dont think Holtz has what it takes. If Anaheim are willing to accept pick 10 and Holtz for Zegras, i'll like to pursue this option to bring Jack's best mate to the team. An alternative is using Holtz in a swap for Laine at 50% retained would interest me if that would appeal to Columbus? Maybe we need to persist with Holtz for one more season as the team don't have the cap to bring in another $4m-$6m winger, even if Mercer takes a team friendly bridge deal.
3. For the team 7th defenseman, we need a veteran that can play both sides and willing to sit for a long time and only get in the lineup if there is injuries. It needs to be someone that can PK regularly. Could someone like TJ Brodie accept this new role at a minimum salary to re-unite with his old coach? I also like Joel Edmundson and even bringing back Nick DeSimone.
4. Agree with Seamus Casey comments. Let him play a full season or two in AHL.
1. I don’t think there’s any chance Foote doesn’t start on the roster if healthy even though I agree with you. I also would like to bring in a little more speed upfront. Our speed was our best asset a couple seasons ago and we just keep losing speed since.
2. Also fine with giving Holtz another shot but I think you’re greatly overrating his value in a trade.
3. I’d be fine with Hattakka as the 7th D if we have a solid vet on the 3rd pair. Wouldn’t be against a veteran 7th but I do like Hattaka. Wouldn’t mind DeSimone back as we need Rd depth but think Hattaka is better.

Reactions: Nubmer6

kiwidevil

Fitz is going to look into Zadorov as a #1 target. Fills a lot of needs, especially the intensity/violence side. He wants a crazy man in that room and some personality.

Wonder what contract he's willing to give him. Could be scary.

Whats his fancy stats on the PK look like?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If the front office is really as collaborative as they say, there are probably at least 5-6 people telling Fitz to avoid Zadorov. Biased because I like him better, but I'd also say that Dillon fits the MO of our management more.

Or we trade for McNabb and do this again next summer.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Don't you see it doesn't matter what we do in FA. We're still going to have two guys who don't kill penalties and 20 year old who got a little taste last year and nothing else... there's no more slots unless we go with 7 D.... let's assume Nemec is a good regular #4.... who's next? Dougie? Then Luke?

Adding 1 PKer doesn't even get us back to even from last year and last year was worse than 2023....not much but we basically had to use Smith full time to ice a full two lines of PK

LH
New guy - PK 1/2. Or even 3/4
Siegenthaler Pk 2/3
Luke no PK

RH
Dougie no PK
Marino 1/2 PK
Nemec 4/5 PK.

You can't make it work without forcing it. And forcing it with a 20 year old no less.
What does this have to do with losing Bahl if he’s replaced by another potentially better penalty killer? What does them being a new guy matter if they’re a good penalty killer?

The problem you’re talking about was always gonna be a problem regardless of Bahl staying or going. Unless you think one of Dougie, Luke, or Nemec shouldn’t be in the lineup. But they have been grooming Nemec to be a penalty killer and at some point guys who are part of our D-core of the future are gonna have to kill penalties. Hell if it really matter we can throw MacDermid back for PK’s if he’s the lineup. I also wouldn’t assume that Luke and Nemec can’t be very effective penalty killers.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What does this have to do with losing Bahl if he’s replaced by another potentially better penalty killer? What does them being a new guy matter if they’re a good penalty killer?

The problem you’re talking about was always gonna be a problem regardless of Bahl staying or going. Unless you think one of Dougie, Luke, or Nemec shouldn’t be in the lineup. But they have been grooming Nemec to be a penalty killer and at some point guys who are part of our D-core of the future are gonna have to kill penalties. Hell if it really matter we can throw MacDermid back for PK’s if he’s the lineup. I also wouldn’t assume that Luke and Nemec can’t be very effective penalty killers.
I assume Luke will eventually kill penalties. And I don't have a problem with Nemec being used...I do think it's problematic to have to rely on Nemec with nothing in the lineup behind him..

Suppose he struggles on the PK...then what? Move Dougie in? And injuries?

They're not going to take Nemec out of the lineup just for a random PK guy like Smith... Nemec occupies a RHD spot that has to kill penalties because Dougie doesn't.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I assume Luke will eventually kill penalties. And I don't have a problem with Nemec being used...I do think it's problematic to have to rely on Nemec with nothing in the lineup behind him..

They're not going to take Nemec out of the lineup just for a random PK guy like Smith... Nemec occupies a RHD spot that has to kill penalties because Dougie doesn't.
That’s what I’m saying. Regardless of us losing Smith and Bahl those 3 guys will be in the lineup. I’m confident that they will be capable of killing penalties.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I like the Brendan Dillon idea. 2 years at 2-2.5M seems reasonable and he seems like a solid 3rd pair guy to play alongside Nemec and kill penalties.

I know some may not love it but would Stephenson be a bad idea? Might come out overpaid but if we can’t get him at 5.5M for 5 years it might be worth it. Really think we need to get some speed back in this lineup.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

This may seriously damage our cup chances. Actually I just dressed a 7th D that PKs well, we’re good, never mind.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Siegenthaler Hamilton
Hughes Marino
Dillon(2.5M) Nemec
Hattaka

Markstrom
Allen

Would leave us 9.5M to fill out our forward group with 3-4 additions. Think it’s solid with potential for worry when injuries happen. Might need to fill in the veteran depth a bit more in both sides. Although we do have Misyul and Vilen in the minors on the left side.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The issue is there is a high likelihood that we still going to see growing pains from Luke and Nemec next season. To what extent I don't know but we are not in the best part of these players careers, probably not even in the good part yet.

I think you're asking for trouble looking for important defensive minutes for these two players for a full season right now.

Dougie did PK for 2 years in Carolina. I wonder if Keefe tries him there again?
I think they're going to have to at least give Dougie some time on the PK.... Dougie and Nemec 4/5 kind of situation.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Don't you see it doesn't matter what we do in FA. We're still going to have two guys who don't kill penalties and 20 year old who got a little taste last year and nothing else... there's no more slots unless we go with 7 D.... let's assume Nemec is a good regular #4.... who's next? Dougie? Then Luke?

Adding 1 PKer doesn't even get us back to even from last year and last year was worse than 2023....not much but we basically had to use Smith full time to ice a full two lines of PK

LH
New guy - PK 1/2. Or even 3/4
Siegenthaler Pk 2/3
Luke no PK

RH
Dougie no PK
Marino 1/2 PK
Nemec 4/5 PK.

You can't make it work without forcing it. And forcing it with a 20 year old no less.

The replacement for Bahl just needs to be better than him at killing penalties. I liked Bahl, but this shouldn't be too hard a job for Fitz.

With a new coach, system, returning healthy players (Siegs/Dougie) and a STARTING GOALTENDER, I see absolutely no reason to worry about special teams.

The issue is there is a high likelihood that we still going to see growing pains from Luke and Nemec next season.

Gotta take the training wheels off at some point mate.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The replacement for Bahl just needs to be better than him at killing penalties. I liked Bahl, but this shouldn't be too hard a job for Fitz.

With a new coach, system, returning healthy players (Siegs/Dougie) and a STARTING GOALTENDER, I see absolutely no reason to worry about special teams.
A replacement better than Bahl at killing penalties replaces Smith.... Nemec needs to replace Bahl's #4 spot.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Gotta take the training wheels off at some point mate.
We did take the training wheels off and it was a disaster

• Haha
Reactions: MasterofGrond

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Ok so what do you prefer, keep Bahl and head into the season with Jake Allen as your starter? Simply because Nemec might have to kill penalties on the second PK pairing?
The thing is keeping Bahl doesn’t change this at all. Nemec, Dougie, and Hughes are all still gonna be in the lineup and one of them killing penalties.

What Fitz does with our open forward spots this off-season. I’m a little worried and I might completely lose faith in his vision depending on what he does.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad