Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So you think Bahl has top 4 potential? I certainly don’t.

So how do you interpret when Fitz said that Bahl would replace Graves defensive minutes last summer...

Doesn't that sound like they expected top 4 level play from Dman coming into the season with 66 NHL games?

Was he wrong then or now?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This is where you get into the deeply erroneous practice of assigning an opinion to 'the board'. I think on balance most people here would agree with the opinion I expressed on Bahl above, that he's no superstar but he has a future in the league and he's a decent player. But the fact that he has been traded away means that his upside to the Devils is gone, and that's a lot of what a young player is to fans here. Therefore, some people will be eager to say that he's irrelevant or doesn't matter, and I think that's what Nubmer6 was referring to seeing here.

Players like Bahl don't matter all that much, but it's more than nothing, and this is a nuance that's difficult to believe and/or express.
Of course Bahl doesn't suck in the way that someone like Mason Geertsen sucks. He's not literally a beer league player, he can play a regular shift in the NHL and provide some value. But it's not that difficult to find guys with a bottom pairing floor who can be situationally useful.

Bahl's play had clearly plateaued and he was making the same mistakes over and over again. Yes, he can get young and can polish up his game a bit. But right now he's JAG and we can bring in a different JAG to do what he did. What more nuance do we need?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Was about to post this in the Markstrom thelread, but it seems to have been locked RIGHT as I hit the post button...

I agree with the trade, and if Bahl was necessary to get it done, so be it, but I'm not sure why everyone's so down on him.
The guy only played basically one and a half seasons, and big, shutdown defenders take time to develop. It's not like he isn't going to get better.

That being said, as @JimEIV has said, we had too many rookies and sophomores on the back end, so letting him go and replacing him with a vet shutdown D that's not Smith isn't the worst idea. We really do need to start filling LD pipeline though, after losing Bahl and Mukhamadulin and having guys like Vulojevic seemingly unable to take a
step.

I think losing Bahl sucks.

I don’t know if they keep Vulojevic, he might not get qualified and just wander off somewhere.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
So how do you interpret when Fitz said that Bahl would replace Graves defensive minutes last summer...

Doesn't that sound like they expected top 4 level play from Dman coming into the season with 66 NHL games?

Did he say he would replace his minutes entirely or take some of them? Huge difference and I’m guessing he didn’t at any point say Bahl was a full replacement for Graves.

I don’t know what he thought entirely then or now but it’s possible he wasn’t wrong either. But I know how you like to spin things.

He also may just not have loved Bahl’s development this past season or just thought the Markstrom trade was worth it and Bahl was expendable and replaceable. Genuinely not sure what you’re trying to argue in that post.

Camille the Eel

The verdict on the Markstrom deal is going to depend on how he performs here. There’s little more to say now. Fitz seems either to think very highly of him, or at least that he is an upgrade at a position that’s been killing us and the best alternative we can get for 4 million a season.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I really don't understand this organizations fascination for some players and hatred for others. Foote sucks. If he is a regular in the lineup, it's a problem.

I like Foote, I’m one of the weirdos, that sees an NHL player there. Injuries have blown up his career for years now though.

He had a window of opportunity last season and couldn’t stay healthy at any point, it’s hard to be optimistic that his back is going to hold up in the future.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Fitz gave him an opportunity and he did fine in those minutes. Some very smart people are even saying he turned himself into a premium asset. He then moved that premium asset for a goalie. Shrewd GMing.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Did he say he would replace his minutes entirely or take some of them? Huge difference and I’m guessing he didn’t at any point say Bahl was a full replacement for Graves.

I don’t know what he thought entirely then or now but it’s possible he wasn’t wrong either. But I know how you like to spin things.

He also may just not have loved Bahl’s development this past season or just thought the Markstrom trade was worth it and Bahl was expendable and replaceable. Genuinely not sure what you’re trying to argue in that post.
He definitely did qualify it with "defensive" minutes. But what does that mean? PK for sure

The expectation was obviously for him to take on a much bigger role.

I don't think that was fair honestly.... Do you remember how badly Adam Larsson struggled in year 2 and 3.

All the good ones are Right handers.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Fitz gave him an opportunity and he did fine in those minutes. Some very smart people are even saying he turned himself into a premium asset. He then moved that premium asset for a goalie. Shrewd GMing.
Obtaining a 35 year old for 24 year old is shrewd in your book?

Burn that book

You'd be extremely difficult to replace. There aren't many people who have the dedication to the schtick you do.
The wild thing is there's not really a lot of schtick....you should hang out with me sometime... I'm super chill.... until I'm not.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He definitely did qualify it with "defensive" minutes. But what does that mean? PK for sure

The expectation was obviously for him to take on a much bigger role.

I don't think that was fair honestly.... Do you remember how badly Adam Larsson struggled in year 2 and 3.
It means he’s gonna get more opportunity to show himself, nothing more. Again where’s the expectation for him to take on a much bigger role coming from. You’re just pulling stuff outta nowhere at this point. He played just under 17 and a half minutes per game last season. That’s nearly 3 and a half more minutes than the previous season. Almost like he was given more minutes and opportunity with Graves departure like I said but still wasn’t playing a top 4 role.

I remember Adam Larsson coming in as like a 19/20 year old and being considered a top prospect with significantly more potential.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Graves was not a top four here either really, at least not two years ago

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Graves was not a top four here either lol, at least not two years ago
Oh we're going to do this again? But now for Graves as opposed to Severson?

Graves was glued to Marino two years ago. If Graves wasn't top 4 neither was Marino.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Obtaining a 35 year old for 24 year old is shrewd in your book?
So would you never trade for a rental then?

I'm not saying you're trading for rentals is wrong or right....I don't generally love trading for rentals myself and I think that the league is getting somewhat better about it. But nhl teams move what they perceive to be lesser long term pieces for greater short term pieces all the time. Its one of the foundations of the trade deadline. This kind of comment is just so weird to me.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I wish I had as little to do on a Friday as some of you did today. :laugh:

The GF took our son to Florida for a family birthday party for the week.

You better believe that 5 minutes after she told me, I took the entire damn week they were gone off from work. Don't go back until Thursday.

This is everything I had hoped it would be. I woke up at 10:30 am today. Ten freaking thirty

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Oh we're going to do this again? But now for Graves as opposed to Severson?

Graves was glued to Marino two years ago. If Graves wasn't top 4 neither was Marino.
By default he was the 2 LD, but he was fifth in even strength time and marginalized by the end of the playoffs

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i’ve seen you post that a lot, so i’m assuming it happened. but i think you’re putting waaaay too much stock in those comments. it’s more likely that he was just reassuring fans that grave’s departure wouldn’t cripple the defense.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So would you never trade for a rental then?
You know the implementation here.

Rentals are for "the final pieces". We are a bottom 10 team that needs a quarter of our roster filled in...not one that needs the last piece or two.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He was 23 for all of last year...so when we talk about his season last year we say the 23 year old.
You’ve been calling him 23 in the same posts as you call a guy who was 33 for over half of last season 35. You’ve been talking about trading a 23 year old for a 35 year old when one is closer to 33 than 35 and the other is 6 days away from being 24. Typical of you.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You’ve been calling him 23 in the same posts as you call a guy who was 33 for over half of last season 35. You’ve been talking about trading a 23 year old for a 35 year old when one is closer to 33 than 35 and the other is 6 days away from being 24. Typical of you.
Stop playing games ...go look how Hockey reference list them...

Last season was Markstrom's 34 year. This up coming hockey year is his 35.

Bahl 23 and up coming 24

It's not complicated. And it's a silly thing to be quibbling over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad