Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Boqvist has got to be the biggest head scratcher of Fitz's time so far. I mean, yeah, he was replaceable. But in the context of where he was going to play and how he was going to be paid, you are hoping to maybe find someone else as good. Why not just keep him?
That’s why I think he may have been a consequence of Foote. I get wanting to bring in a Nosek but I also think they were trying to keep a spot open for Foote even though he had and still hasn’t proven or shown much of anything.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
this entire post is actually hilarious coming from you tbh. You don't think I know what you were doing with that line of posting? Come on man. We aren't dummies.
Please, please enlighten me on what I was “trying to do”? This should be a real hoot.

Perhaps your issue is that instead of simply taking words on a message board at face value, you’re instead trying to decipher some hidden meaning to them.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild fan here who has watched a lot of Beckman down in Iowa. He got Wild fans excited when he lead the WHL in scoring in his D+1 year, mainly on the strength of his shot. Think of him as a poor man's Holtz.

- He is not a Center
- He tries on defense, but is offensively inclined. You want him on your PP, not PK.
- Long enough (at least 6'1"), but not strong, at least not yet.
- Average(not bad) skater. Fast enough to maintain distance on a breakaway against an average defender, not fast enough to pull away.
- Best asset is his shot.
- Is well liked.
- works hard.
- mediocre hockey IQ?
- Is one of those guys who has probably plateau'ed as an AHL'er, but there is the possibility that he is a late bloomer. His main weakness is lack of strength. You would think he can overcome that with a good summer of training/eating, but he hasn't yet.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Foote has been a very efficient scorer in his limited time, has NHL size, and seems to play a decent game on the boards and down low. It’s understandable that they see him as being able to carve out a bottom 6 role over Clarke. Guy just really needs to stay healthy.
Could care less about his size, he’s not very physical and doesn’t use it that much. His limited time has consisted of 23 games where he’s gotten a few lucky bounces for goals. Hasn’t done anything to be penciled in two off-seasons in a row but I don’t care that much if they give him a chance.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Could care less about his size, he’s not very physical and doesn’t use it that much. His limited time has consisted of 23 games where he’s gotten a few lucky bounces for goals. Hasn’t done anything to be penciled in two off-seasons in a row but I don’t care that much if they give him a chance.
Since we were discussing some of this before, I suppose Ill ask you a question Ive pondered since; I wonder what the stats would look like on guys average height (6'1") and taller when it comes to their hitting in the regular season and the playoffs

Devils obviously dont have a large enough sample size - but Id be curious to know one day if its marginal or not. Wonder what you think

Edit: reckon there was no need to include the height factor.. then again, maybe the bigger boys feel more obligation to given their size

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I don't think anyone cared about Santini by the time we got rid of him. I think everyone was over him by that point. And didn't he also go as part of the Subban trade? We were pretty excited because we thought we were getting a still really good, if not elite PK Subban, which is not what we wound up getting.

But yeah,. Urbom was a meltdown from some people. It was my go-to thread to read for a long time when I wanted to go down memory lane and needed a laugh. I believe it was part of the team discussion thread, and it never got it's own thread.

I don't exactly remember the reaction to Rykov, but I can imagine it probably wasn't good, if not more because of who he was getting traded to. I'm surprised the reaction to Rykov didn't eclipse Urbom, because of who he was going to, and the fact that at that time I think Rykov was a bigger prospect with more potential than Urbom by 2013. Rykov also hadn't even come to North America yet, while Urbom was entering his fourth pro year in North America and showing nothing.

Maybe the Rykov reaction did eclipse Urbom, but I just don't remember it or maybe I just didn't find it as ridiculous because Rykov at the time was more valuable than Urbom when he was waived, and we also sent him to the Rangers.
I think you’re right about Santini.

The Rykov reaction was definitely bad. People were certain that we gifted the rangers a great prospect who would someday torch us in the future on their way to a Stanley cup. lol. When it comes to anything involving the rangers, there is always a contingent here who convince themselves that we are doomed to witness the unparalleled success of our most hated rival.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Since we were discussing some of this before, I suppose Ill ask you a question Ive pondered since; I wonder what the stats would look like on guys average height (6'1") and taller when it comes to their hitting in the regular season and the playoffs

Devils obviously dont have a large enough sample size - but Id be curious to know one day if its marginal or not. Wonder what you think
I thinks it’s more about guys 6’3” and taller because that’s usually when they’re seen as big and at times overvalued or assumed to bring physicalness with it. I think there’s a lot of guys in the 6’ to 6’2” range and sometimes smaller that bring more physicality than some of those big guys. Think the biggest benefit of being that big is the reach and space you cover.

Reactions: Moist ReadOnly

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Wild fan here who has watched a lot of Beckman down in Iowa. He got Wild fans excited when he lead the WHL in scoring in his D+1 year, mainly on the strength of his shot. Think of him as a poor man's Holtz.

Oh no, now you've gone and done it. :laugh:

Half the board is going to irrationally hate or love this guy based on that comment alone.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think you’re right about Santini.

The Rykov reaction was definitely bad. People were certain that we gifted the rangers a great prospect who would someday torch us in the future on their way to a Stanley cup. lol. When it comes to anything involving the rangers, there is always a contingent here who convince themselves that we are doomed to witness the unparalleled success of our most hated rival.
I still think the Rykov deal was a bad move ... It's one of those situations were a bad decision that doesn't hurt you doesn't make it ok....like driving home drunk and making it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Still digesting the Erika news...

Really bumming news that she won't be brought back for whatever sides reasons.

To me, she was as much as part of this fanbase as we are, or so it really felt like. Hope they bring in someone with as much enthusiasm....

It'll be easier to digest when I tell you the news...

I'm pivoting from my coaching aspirations to the broadcast booth. Announcement coming soon

1718992614383.png

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

- He is not a Center
- He tries on defense, but is offensively inclined. You want him on your PP, not PK.
- Average(not bad) skater. Fast enough to maintain distance on a breakaway against an average defender, not fast enough to pull away.
- Is well liked.
- works hard.
- mediocre hockey IQ?
- Is one of those guys who has probably plateau'ed as an AHL'er, but there is the possibility that he is a late bloomer. His main weakness is lack of strength. You would think he can overcome that with a good summer of training/eating, but he hasn't yet.

I was looking for a short breakdown on him earlier in the day, and here you show up with real insight! Thank you!

It'll be easier to digest when I tell you the news...

I'm pivoting from my coaching aspirations to the broadcast booth. Announcement coming soon

View attachment 885231

Better bring that platinum A-game. We are counting on some good news.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
The cycle.

Love the team, overly passionate about it to the point of being down right insufferable assholes to each other over every detail about the team and what should be done with things we don't have an ounce of control over. Watch every game, hang on every piece of news about the team just to get more out of it. Grow attached to the players on the team. One of them leaves the team for whatever reason....

"ahh that sucks"

"lol, nerd."

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The cycle.

Love the team, overly passionate about it to the point of being down right insufferable assholes to each other over every detail about the team and what should be done with things we don't have an ounce of control over. Watch every game, hang on every piece of news about the team just to get more out of it. Grow attached to the players on the team. One of them leaves the team for whatever reason....

"ahh that sucks"

"lol, nerd."
Since 1982.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

- He is not a Center
- Is well liked.
- works hard.
- mediocre hockey IQ?
Appreciate the insight!

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Boqvist has got to be the biggest head scratcher of Fitz's time so far. I mean, yeah, he was replaceable. But in the context of where he was going to play and how he was going to be paid, you are hoping to maybe find someone else as good. Why not just keep him?

I do wonder what went on with Boqvist behind the scenes. My theory is that Fitz didn't want to pay his qualifying offer and wanted to do the same with him as he did with McLeod and Bastian - Let him go to UFA with a handshake agreement and then re-sign him at a lower rate. I'm also theorizing that Boqvist refused this, believing that he could do better on the open market, and he didn't get the offers he was expecting. I'm wondering if he signed with Boston and not us because he wanted to save face, or if we had already filled his position.

Reactions: Guadana

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I do wonder what went on with Boqvist behind the scenes. My theory is that Fitz didn't want to pay his qualifying offer and wanted to do the same with him as he did with McLeod and Bastian - Let him go to UFA with a handshake agreement and then re-sign him at a lower rate. I'm also theorizing that Boqvist refused this, believing that he could do better on the open market, and he didn't get the offers he was expecting. I'm wondering if he signed with Boston and not us because he wanted to save face, or if we had already filled his position.
I think Fit just let him go to leave room for others including Foote and the Nosek addition. To get tougher

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Was about to post this in the Markstrom thelread, but it seems to have been locked RIGHT as I hit the post button...

I agree with the trade, and if Bahl was necessary to get it done, so be it, but I'm not sure why everyone's so down on him.
The guy only played basically one and a half seasons, and big, shutdown defenders take time to develop. It's not like he isn't going to get better.

That being said, as @JimEIV has said, we had too many rookies and sophomores on the back end, so letting him go and replacing him with a vet shutdown D that's not Smith isn't the worst idea. We really do need to start filling LD pipeline though, after losing Bahl and Mukhamadulin and having guys like Vulojevic seemingly unable to take a
step.

Nature of team fans, tbh lol. Those calgary puck forums did the same when the trade of markstrom went through. He went from an elite goaltender deserving of getting #10OA to a busted up, inconsistent aging goalie that got an awesome return and Conroy was a wizard for breaking fitz to his ask.

Right now, Bahl is a third pairing D on a defense that is not good. If you're looking to replace that specific skill set (a guy capable of playing third pair on a bad defense....or honesty, even on an average / below average defense), they are fairly plentiful. Not that difficult to find. They aren't going to have the potential of Bahl moving forward, of course, I'm speaking solely on their ability to play the position at the current point in time. It's kind of a bad time for the skater / team to be paired together. The devils want to take the next step as a team (i assume), they have to get better to do it and they have to get better now. It really just leaves Bahl out in the cold.

Bahl will of course get better, how much better I have no idea. I do think the upside is ultimately capped, and I don't know that the team has that kind of time to wait for it to develop either. Is he Gudbranson? If the plan was to externally get better on D, he was always likely to be the guy who goes. We weren't likely to keep him on as a 7th D imo (and if we did, he wasn't likely to progress which means we likely wouldn't have seen him evolve anyway) and he wasn't going to be able to pass through waivers. He's not a super valuable asset in terms of actual cost. If we had moved him this off season in his own deal, and he brought back a second, I would have been very happy with that. Removing the player from this team is not a big deal for me (you still have to replace him, but I'm assuming the plan is to get someone better in there lol)

And it should be remembered that he's going to look awful for the next two years and it has nothing to do with him (well, it may, but also the team is going to reflect extremely poorly on him). It doesn't mean that anyone slagging on him right now is correct. Calgary is going to be bad. He is going to struggle. I just want to pre-emptively say that people shouldn't take victory laps on that because I'm almost certain I probably will over the next two years LOL.

If Fitz just doesn't do anything at the position this off season, I think it's highly justified to criticize him about it. That would be super weird lol.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm thinking of changing my user name to "Not difficult to replace".

Does it fit?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Nature of team fans, tbh lol. Those calgary puck forums did the same when the trade of markstrom went through. He went from an elite goaltender deserving of getting #10OA to a busted up, inconsistent aging goalie that got an awesome return and Conroy was a wizard for breaking fitz to his ask.

Right now, Bahl is a third pairing D on a defense that is not good. If you're looking to replace that specific skill set (a guy capable of playing third pair on a bad defense....or honesty, even on an average / below average defense), they are fairly plentiful. Not that difficult to find. They aren't going to have the potential of Bahl moving forward, of course, I'm speaking solely on their ability to play the position at the current point in time. It's kind of a bad time for the skater / team to be paired together. The devils want to take the next step as a team (i assume), they have to get better to do it and they have to get better now. It really just leaves Bahl out in the cold.

Bahl will of course get better, how much better I have no idea. I do think the upside is ultimately capped, and I don't know that the team has that kind of time to wait for it to develop either. Is he Gudbranson? If the plan was to externally get better on D, he was always likely to be the guy who goes. We weren't likely to keep him on as a 7th D imo (and if we did, he wasn't likely to progress which means we likely wouldn't have seen him evolve anyway) and he wasn't going to be able to pass through waivers. He's not a super valuable asset in terms of actual cost. If we had moved him this off season in his own deal, and he brought back a second, I would have been very happy with that. Removing the player from this team is not a big deal for me (you still have to replace him, but I'm assuming the plan is to get someone better in there lol)

And it should be remembered that he's going to look awful for the next two years and it has nothing to do with him (well, it may, but also the team is going to reflect extremely poorly on him). It doesn't mean that anyone slagging on him right now is correct. Calgary is going to be bad. He is going to struggle. I just want to pre-emptively say that people shouldn't take victory laps on that because I'm almost certain I probably will over the next two years LOL.

If Fitz just doesn't do anything at the position this off season, I think it's highly justified to criticize him about it. That would be super weird lol.
So you think Bahl has top 4 potential? I certainly don’t.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
As someone who had a very large Avs Future I was frequently on the Avs board during these playoffs. They are not going to be upset he leaves, again I'm not not interested just a little concerned after watching this playoffs and taking the temp of their board.
I also perused the Avs boards quite frequently.

This seems to be a mischaracterization. It's not really that they want to get rid of Colton. But with Mittelstadt needing a contract, and a lot of cap flux being hung up with the Landy/Nuke situations, they'll need to clear cap space and Colton is really the only player with a medium-sized cap hit they can trade for decent value.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
So you think Bahl has top 4 potential? I certainly don’t.
Not really, though I'm not going to rule it out. Development happens. But even if he does it's going to take a few years. I can't be all that upset about us moving a guy 3 years before he became a competent second pairing defender if that's what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad