LeBrun: Canes "pretty close" to a structure with a 2024 1st round pick for Necas; Buffalo has "very serious interest"

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This is why I don't get the NJ and Buffalo rumors. Both teams have their top 2 C's locked in to long term contracts. To me Buffalo needs a winger (pls take Marner) and NJ should be saving their long term cap space to pay their guys coming off ELCs.

The teams that make the most sense for the contract and role Necas is demanding are Utah and Columbus, those are not good teams. Maybe LA or Detroit if either did some cap maneuvering
Nashville currently has no real #2C... or they do, but his name is Ryan O'Reilly and he gets to be #1C instead. So I could definitely see the Preds giving Necas the opportunity he desires to play C.

However, it reminds me a lot of the Duchene signing. There was some hope of granting Duchene his wish to play C and solve the Preds' ongoing center woes. But it became immediately obvious that Duchene has a lot of those same traits that just make him incapable of playing C... loved to carry the puck into the zone and try to do everything... but invariably just deked himself into a corner and couldn't see or use his linemates well enough, and wasn't invested enough in his defensive duties either. So I'm sure the Preds would at least give it a try, but usually there are very good reasons why these guys got moved to wing, their coaches aren't dummies. :dunno:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Marino has more value then you think. A right handed 25 year old defenseman under contact for 4.4 mill for the next 3 years? And can slot into the top 4 of just abut every team? I agree that the 10th and Marino is a steep prive without at least getting a pick (or picks back) with Necas. No disput that Necas would be a big time move for NJ and immediately improve them.
What say we just cut Carolina out of the deal and we talk Marino to Buffalo eh? I'll have my people call yours.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Why are his possession numbers so good and his plus/minus so bad. I realize the latter is a bad stat but the variance is bizarre.

Because he's excellent at skating with the puck, entering zones and holding on to it for a long time. He has terrible on ice awareness though so he often gets caught out of place and if he loses the puck it's an odd man rush the other way. He doesn't use his teammates effectively so it is very chaotic when he's on the ice. Sometimes good chaos but also sometimes bad. Compared to lines that are controlled by Aho and Staal which are very structure based you get big disparities in style of play.

That explanation is missing a couple of key pieces of information. IMO, a bigger piece is that his top 3 line mates 5v5 were Drury, Bunting and Kotkaniemi. You are basically putting a fast skill guy (Necas) with guys that can't keep up, can't generate any offense and in Bunting's case, a guy that was absolutely lost in Carolina's system and was horrible defensively.

Those 3 were 9th, 10th, and 11th among forwards in 5v5 scoring (Necas was 3rd best).

Compare that to last year, where he was a plus, his top 3 line mates were Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi (who had a much better season), and Aho.

Going from last year to this year, the quality of his line mates played a big role in his reduced scoring (along with no PP1 time this season) and his +/-.

It also plays a big role in why he reportedly wants to be traded. Can't blame him.

Here's the breakdown of his -9, as +/- can be misleading.

1) Canes pulled goalie: Accounts for -4 for Necas
2) Other team pulls goalie: Even. He wasn't out there much this year. Aho, was +13 when the other team pulled the goalie. TT +7, Jarvis +8. So while other top players benefitted in +/- with the goalie pulled, Necas didn't have as many opportunities.
3) PP: Accounts for -4 (SH goals given up). Jarvis and KK were worse (-5). TT, Buntin, Necas and Noesen all were -4.
4) 5v5: -6 (for reasons mentioned above).
5) PK: +1 (sh goal for)
6) 3v3: +4

Last year when playing with better players, he was +8 5v5 so you can see a big difference there.

Last edited:

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I love Necas and am a huge fan. Buffalo isn't the best fit for him IMO.
I don't think he's a good fit for the Devils either. He'd be a solid winger for them, but... doesn't Necas want to play center? The Devils are logjammed at C as it is.

Not only that, but he doesn't really improve their defensive problems. Then again, seeing Necas with Hischier or Jack Hughes would be... absolutely insane.

Should be fun to see what Carolina does.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't think he's a good fit for the Devils either. He'd be a solid winger for them, but... doesn't Necas want to play center? The Devils are logjammed at C as it is.

Not only that, but he doesn't really improve their defensive problems. Then again, seeing Necas with Hischier or Jack Hughes would be... absolutely insane.

Should be fun to see what Carolina does.
I'm hoping for Boston personally. I do like the Montreal idea.

I think he should focus on being a top line Winger.. not sure if I feel he is a C either.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On TJMS, Friedman reports that Carolina is trying to get Guentzel done by the draft. He said earlier in the segment that there was growing momentum on a deal.

You have to think that there’s a connection between the two situations.

I thought this all along. No way then gamble and be left without both of them. Whatever they do, they will have one of them on their roster next year

Why the f*** is Carolina moving Necas? He’s what, their third best forward?

Makes no sense. I’ll love seeing him go pretty much anywhere else as a Ranger fan.

What I smell is Necas and his agent are asking too much on his next contract and after having good production/development, they are looking to flip it for someone who cost less (pick or younger player still on ELC).

Very curious to see how Necas looks on a different roster.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
What I smell is Necas and his agent are asking too much on his next contract and after having good production/development, they are looking to flip it for someone who cost less (pick or younger player still on ELC).
As Tulsky yesterday in an interview said the Canes were willing to match any offer sheet in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd range (so...up to ~$9.2M AAV) as that wasn't nearly enough of a return for Necas, I don't know if that was much of the issue.

That said, he could be lying about matching that OS.

Reactions: DaveG

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As Tulsky yesterday in an interview said the Canes were willing to match any offer sheet in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd range (so...up to ~$9.2M AAV) as that wasn't nearly enough of a return for Necas, I don't know if that was much of the issue.

That said, he could be lying about matching that OS.

I don't think the offer sheet will happen.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I think Carolina is a slick moneyball team. They see Necas' 5v5 xG relative (or their propritary variation) and don't think he's the worth the payday.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Carolina is a slick moneyball team. They see Necas' 5v5 xG relative (or their propritary variation) and don't think he's the worth the payday.

Yup, that's how I see it too. The strange part is the trade value is very high compared to a 5x5 contract they are willing to give. Maybe it's $6M. Not sure. But something tells me Necas wants $8M min.

It's an interesting situation but I would personally pass on the high trade price.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Yup, that's how I see it too. The strange part is the trade value is very high compared to a 5x5 contract they are willing to give. Maybe it's $6M. Not sure. But something tells me Necas wants $8M min.

It's an interesting situation but I would personally pass on the high trade price.
Was it reported somewhere Carolina only wanted to give him a 5x5? Recent reports say they'd match an offer sheet up to like 9 mil

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

It's also possible the discussed trade values aren't as high as being discussed.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Was it reported somewhere Carolina only wanted to give him a 5x5? Recent reports say they'd match an offer sheet up to like 9 mil

I've never heard any rumors like that. The 5x5 speculation was with Pesce, not Necas. The only definitive things I've with Necas was that the Canes wanted to go long-term but the Necas camp is requesting a trade for 1st line and PP1 minutes, as well as a potential opportunity to play center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad