LeBrun: Canes "pretty close" to a structure with a 2024 1st round pick for Necas; Buffalo has "very serious interest"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Would one year of

Ehlers move the needle if Canes threw in a 3rd round pick?

So Ehelrs, McGroraty for Necas and a 3rd?
From a Canes perspective, I’d do that, provided I had a good idea what it took to re-up Ehlers.

Not sure the Jets would, considered what they’ve been rumored have been asking for in a McGroarty trade.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
From a Canes perspective, I’d do that, provided I had a good idea what it took to re-up Ehlers.

Not sure the Jets would, considered what they’ve been rumored have been asking for in a McGroarty trade.
That’s actually not a bad deal…

McGroarty + Ehlers for Necas + another piece from Carolina to balance it out?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The canes don’t get ufa’s signed. I don’t see Ehlers being the guy they get done. He’s a great player when healthy and I’d love to have him but moving Necas for anything temporary doesn’t make sense.
Would depend on how highly the Canes think of McGroarty, imo.

Ehlers doesn’t turn 30 until 2026, so they might be more inclined to keep him vs letting him walk.

Ehlers’ contract status is definitely not ideal though, but he’d replace a good bit of what the Canes would be losing in Necas. Sans Guentzel, I’d rather they just patch things up with Necas, but I don’t think that’s in the cards.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Columbus got permission to speak to Necas about a contract.

Friedman wonders if Necas stays in Carolina with the Guentzel news.

A 1 year punt feels like an increasingly likely scenario here. Carolina can’t afford a meaningful drop off in the forward core. He’ll just have to wait for his change of scenery and big contract. Trade comps such as Fiala and Reinhart were dealt the year after the expiration of their 2 year bridge contracts.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Is Necas hell bent on being a center? Or would he be willing to play the wing on a new team? I thought I read that he REALLY wanted to play down the middle, but that was a couple weeks ago and my memory gets worse by the day.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Is Necas hell bent on being a center? Or would he be willing to play the wing on a new team? I thought I read that he REALLY wanted to play down the middle, but that was a couple weeks ago and my memory gets worse by the day.
He’s a winger. Maybe a team thinks they can convert him, but what he wants and what is reality are two different things.

When he want to play for the Czech national team…still a winger. He is what he is this point…a very good top 6 RW.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
He's hell-bent on the offense going through him, basically. He wants to drive the line and be in the position to be a big scorer on a top-line. He also wants a more wide-open, pressing offensive system.

He mentions a few times a year that he's more comfortable at C and never agreed with being moved to the wing. I don't think he'd gripe about being at RW if he had his other wants met.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He came to us as a center. He started in the minors and he was even faster than he is now, and couldn’t stay on his skates. Being center was too much at the time so Velucci (ahl coach at the time) lightened his load and put him at wing, and the production turned on immediately. Even back then the conversation was he’d go back to center at some point. Over the years since it’s been mentioned almost yearly that Necas wanted a shot there, most fans haven’t taken it too seriously but it’s been apparent the whole time that’s what he wants. So I personally do think he wants a shot at it. If he’s a featured player in general you’re probably fine though.

The irony to me is that since Trocheck left we’ve been searching specifically for a righty center. At the new conference where Waddell made jokes about Necas’ dad when asked what they were looking for he replied “a righty center”. We’ve had Lindholm, Trocheck and Geekie under this regime and we still need a righty center. I think it would be amazing in a way if we trade him somewhere and he plays like a bird set free down the middle for someone else. Rod likes a certain kind of center man and it’s just presumed Necas ain’t that guy. He’s never been given the chance once in the nhl. He doesn’t seem like he’d be good at the defensive side of it, but you never know till you try him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2