Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
i rly wonder if we’re gonna make a push for Zadarov in FA…

I don't think we will. I think if this team brings back the same top 6, Fitz is probably okay with that. If that's worst case scenario, I don't think it's that bad.

Assuming we bring on a 5-6 million dollar goalie at full freight, and give Mercer a bridge deal that is around 4, we only have about 9-10 million left I think. Zadorov will likely take more than half that and I'd much rather put that money to use at adding another forward for the top 6.

Calgary being rumored to not like our package for Markstrom kind of makes me happy. I'm glad Fitz isn't going full bore into getting him at any cost.
Where did you see that?

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I don't think we will. I think if this team brings back the same top 6, Fitz is probably okay with that. If that's worst case scenario, I don't think it's that bad.

Assuming we bring on a 5-6 million dollar goalie at full freight, and give Mercer a bridge deal that is around 4, we only have about 9-10 million left I think. Zadorov will likely take more than half that and I'd much rather put that money to use at adding another forward for the top 6.

Where did you see that?
i’m just not sure our defense is playoff worthy as it stands. having both Luke and Nemec in the top 6 is already complicated when it comes to who PKs and who steps up with injury.

I would also Love to see an upgrade on Bahl who could also push Siegenthaler down lineup (in terms of minutes)

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Zadorov-Nemec
Hughes-Marino

if this was our top 6, i would feel way better about our chances. Bahl can probably stay around or maybe we package him in a trade for a goalie/forward.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He would be an extremely high upside reclamation project. It would totally depend on managements view about whether he can buy in, return to form and you can get him to play a totally focused defensive and team game too. What’s in it for Laine is reviving his career that is going down the drain. Who is he: is he really nothing but a loser?

In looking at the Devils from the point of view of how Florida is now dominant, the conclusion I draw is not that the Devils must become big and heavy. It’s that we must become a superlative defensive club. First things first here is our defensive play. You don’t have to be a big heavy guy to play great defense. Just ask Bob Gainey and Rejean Houle and the rosters of the highly skilled Montreal cup winning teams that were some of the best defensive clubs of all time.

If Scotty Bowman ( or whoever was coach) could get Frank Mahovolich to commit to D, why not Patrick Laine ?

Because there isn't another Scotty Bowman!

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
i’m just not sure our defense is playoff worthy as it stands. having both Luke and Nemec in the top 6 is already complicated when it comes to who PKs and who steps up with injury.

I would also Love to see an upgrade on Bahl who could also push Siegenthaler down lineup (in terms of minutes)

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Zadorov-Nemec
Hughes-Marino

if this was our top 6, i would feel way better about our chances. Bahl can probably stay around or maybe we package him in a trade for a goalie/forward.

It's probably not, but that's not going to make me go and give a contract that I think is going to be an absolute grenade. 6 x 6 is what he's looking for? I just can't do it no more than I could have given Graves his contract.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Zadorov-Nemec
Hughes-Marino

Zadorov isn’t going to be worth what he gets paid. He’s looking to cash in and will get overpaid.

I would much rather target Dillon who brings the same game but would be way cheaper. If we can’t get Dillon, I would settle for Forbort, Cole, and Kulikov as an extra veteran LD for the second or third pairings. Kulikov would probably be my top target after Dillon.

Tanev is another option, but not sure a RHS works unless it’s a depth guy that doesn’t push Nemec out of the lineup.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Zadorov-Nemec
Hughes-Marino

I’d go for Brenden Dillon. He probably won’t get nearly as much as Zadorov and he’s better.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
They mentioned it this morning on NHL Network on Sirius.

Doesn't surprise me, they have a whole summer to do this. If the Leafs/Sens catapult us with more assets for Markstrom, I couldn't care one iota tbh. Plenty of ways to get creative to fix the goaltending issue. Gustavsson + Spencer Knight come to mind but no shot this management takes a risk those two probably.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Doesn't surprise me, they have a whole summer to do this. If the Leafs/Sens catapult us with more assets for Markstrom, I couldn't care one iota tbh. Plenty of ways to get creative to fix the goaltending issue. Gustavsson + Spencer Knight come to mind but no shot this management takes a risk those two probably.
Yeah, I don't particularly want Markstrom at all let alone at the cost Calgary seems to be asking for.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
In looking at the Devils from the point of view of how Florida is now dominant, the conclusion I draw is not that the Devils must become big and heavy. It’s that we must become a superlative defensive club. First things first here is our defensive play. You don’t have to be a big heavy guy to play great defense. Just ask Bob Gainey and Rejean Houle and the rosters of the highly skilled Montreal cup winning teams that were some of the best defensive clubs of all time.

If Scotty Bowman ( or whoever was coach) could get Frank Mahovolich to commit to D, why not Patrick Laine ?

Except that the Devils have to get Jack, Mercer, Timo and to lesser extent Nico, Bratt, Haula, Holtz (if he's here), etc. to buy in. These guys all have moments of defensive deficiency - and some much more than others. Watch how layered the Panthers coverage is. There's tremendous buy-in up and down the line up.

Meaning, it's about a group mentality. Right now, the Devils don't have it. Look at Meier. He was ok defensively before getting to the Devils. You'd think he could help improve the overall defense. But, look at what happened. Yes, I understand about the injuries. But, how do those injuries only affect defense?

Until they fix their core group, I don't think it's worth it for them to bring in defensive projects like Laine.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
It's probably not, but that's not going to make me go and give a contract that I think is going to be an absolute grenade. 6 x 6 is what he's looking for? I just can't do it no more than I could have given Graves his contract.
i do feel as tho Zadorov is on a completely different playing field than the likes of Dillon and Graves because he can push Siegenthalers minutes down.

I’m not sure the others can and that’s what i think this defense could really use on the left side.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Honestly, not surprising given the leaks that have come out. Totally tracks
I’m not sure Calgary wants to deal Markstrom. Wolf is not a sure thing (albeit I expect he will hit even if not this season). Dealing Markstrom is pretty close to punting on the season before it even starts. Now if Markstrom says trade me to NJ maybe that changes things but short of that I think Calgary holds out for a significant overpayment which NJ would be smart to avoid .

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Adding a LHD and dropping Bahl or Siegs still leaves us short a PKer.

And even if you you believe that Nemec can go as a top 4 PKer there is absolutely nothing behind him. Making backfilling any injuries impossible.

Camille the Eel

Except that the Devils have to get Jack, Mercer, Timo and to lesser extent Nico, Bratt, Haula, Holtz (if he's here), etc. to buy in. These guys all have moments of defensive deficiency - and some much more than others. Watch how layered the Panthers coverage is. There's tremendous buy-in up and down the line up.

Meaning, it's about a group mentality. Right now, the Devils don't have it. Look at Meier. He was ok defensively before getting to the Devils. You'd think he could help improve the overall defense. But, look at what happened. Yes, I understand about the injuries. But, how do those injuries only affect defense?

Until they fix their core group, I don't think it's worth it for them to bring in defensive projects like Laine.
really good post - nailed it. That’s Keefe’s mission.

Reactions: tailfins and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

This really was one best post I've seen in a while....but you usually nail it.

Who is excited to face the Utah Utahs next season?
I am definitely going to a game in Utah next year.

Reactions: tailfins

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Boston over achieved with this in mind and we under achieved without it.

GASIK.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
i do feel as tho Zadorov is on a completely different playing field than the likes of Dillon and Graves because he can push Siegenthalers minutes down.

I’m not sure the others can and that’s what i think this defense could really use on the left side.

If Zadorov is on a different level, he really hasn't had to show it in the past. This has never been a 20+ minute a night guy and he's often been insulated by superior players above him. At times he can play some pretty soft minutes between the second and third pair.

He may offer a different component that this team's defense lacks, but I don't know that he's actually that good.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

I think it's been mentioned before that the defensive system that Lindy and company employed would get utterly eradicated by smart teams, Carolina in 2023 is a prime example of that. Most of their forwards fly the zone trying to create odd man rushes but if you have a team that makes them defend for good 30-45 seconds then the Devils have to go a whole 200 feet to create offense as opposed to half of the rink which the latter is their speciality with their amazing speed as a skating group. I can't get too much on Lindy (even though I lost my mind with him last year on this board), he was brought in to develop the offensive games of this core. He did that, the next step is to get a coach to smooth out the edges of their guys and help them take the next step. Hopefully Keefe is that guy.

If Zadorov is on a different level, he really hasn't had to show it in the past. This has never been a 20+ minute a night guy and he's often been insulated by superior players above him. At times he can play some pretty soft minutes between the second and third pair.

He may offer a different component that this team's defense lacks, but I don't know that he's actually that good.

Yeah, he scares me a lot for the sheer factor that he did this in a UFA year. He was good this year but who's to say that he continues after a getting a fat pay day

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
knowledge-is.gif

the divide between Markstrom and 10th is Barron or Struble from Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad