Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
They could all be busts easily as well. People tend to overrate prospects/picks. I'd much rather move that pick for a young proven forward that can play in the top 6 next season.
Problem is no one is really trading those type of forwards at the moment

Reactions: Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
They could all be busts easily as well. People tend to overrate prospects/picks. I'd much rather move that pick for a young proven forward that can play in the top 6 next season.
Who is giving that up for the 10th pick though? Nobody moves young top 6 forwards for draft picks. You'd hope whoever you take at 10 turns out to be as good as that "proven forward that can play in the top 6" and that's statistically unlikely.

Reactions: Saugus

Camille the Eel

Please stop. This is conjecture at best, and weird fan-fiction at worst. You have absolutely no idea if this call is Marty's (at all, let alone with complete autonomy). You have absolutely no idea if Rogalski will be the goalie coach next year.
The Washington Post is reporting everyone back except we add Colliton.

I actually like this and think it’s both good for morale and makes sense. Let’s have the maximum of continuity with a major change at the top.

I am reminded of the army in the Second World War where certain general officers were known for taking their own staff officers everywhere with them. (Douglas MacArthur). Yet two of the most brilliant commanders absolutely went against this trend. Chester Nimitz, taking over at Pearl Harbor shortly after the disaster surprised everyone by showing faith in his predecessors staff. It was one of the first things done to restore confidence and self confidence and is thought to have been a supremely important move. Likewise, Sir William Slim upon taking control of Burma Corps during its desperate retreat from Rangoon and over the foothills back to India did the same thing, with the same results.

Personal loyalty counts for a lot in hockey too. There are relationships in place here between players and coaches. I trust Keefe to coach the coaches.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
I’m not one to typically float rumors but I’ve heard this interesting proposal.

Markstrom (50% retained), 28OA, 2nd round pick for 10OA.
The additional second round pick on top of 28 does kinda at least get me thinking about it. Would have to be Calgary’s own (not Dallas). And having him at $3 million would open up a ton of flexibility over the next two seasons for other areas. But generally speaking just Don’t know if I can come around to 10 overall in any goalie deal

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Please stop. This is conjecture at best, and weird fan-fiction at worst. You have absolutely no idea if this call is Marty's (at all, let alone with complete autonomy). You have absolutely no idea if Rogalski will be the goalie coach next year.
I mean, coaches have been fired or stepped down later in the offseason. Patrick Roy abruptly left in late August after abruptly losing a power struggle. That was like 3 weeks before camp.

So it's not a guarantee, but it seems odds are very heavy that Rogalski WILL be the goalie coach next year. The team has been done playing for just about 2 months now. I think they would have fired him by now if he's not going to be the goalie coach next year.

Unless there's some sort of schism between him and management or him and Keefe that develops later on in the summer.

Or if by some strange set of circumstances some other goalie coach they didn't know was going to available or interested in being a goalie coach again gets hired by us.

Reactions: My3Sons

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
I’ll say one thing - it’s going to be incredibly deflating if the kids play another year without a proper goalie in net.

Reactions: glenwo2

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
So it’s either give up the 10th overall pick for marginal Markstrom or bust? There are definite grounds in-between, including winning your offer on Markstrom for less than the 10th.
I don't know if we have the realistic assets to beat out the other teams that need a goalie without any type of first this year in play.

Problem is no one is really trading those type of forwards at the moment
Who is giving that up for the 10th pick though? Nobody moves young top 6 forwards for draft picks. You'd hope whoever you take at 10 turns out to be as good as that "proven forward that can play in the top 6" and that's statistically unlikely.
I am hoping every day we can add a lot more on to getting Brady Tkachuk

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I know some disagree, but 10th for a trade involving Ullmark or Saros is at least palatable. Anything involving the 10th for a Markstrom centered deal reeks of desperation. I’d much rather resign Khakonen and pray one of him, Allen, Schmid, or Daws finds consistency.

Reactions: CalamityX23

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
I know some disagree, but 10th for a trade involving Ullmark or Saros is at least palatable. Anything involving the 10th for a Markstrom centered deal reeks of desperation. I’d much rather resign Khakonen and pray one of him, Allen, Schmid, or Daws finds consistency.
My worry is Ulmark is a product of Boston's elite defense and Saros is going to get paid huge when he relies on athleticism more then anyone else and that decline could be super rough.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
#FireColliton
IMG_6536.jpeg

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York

Khakonen numbers are so bad outside the couple games he played in NJ. My post which lost everyone two pages back, was about exactly this. There are many accounts of goalies playing well for short bursts, only to fall apart next year.

I also don’t want to run Allen into the ground.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Khakonen numbers are so bad outside the couple games he played in NJ. My post which lost everyone two pages back, was about exactly this. There are many accounts of goalies playing well for short bursts, only to fall apart next year.

I mean, did he even significantly outplay Blackwood in SJ?

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Kahkonen was find outside of the past two years in SJ. Even his first year in SJ was fine.

Reactions: Darkauron

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The Washington Post is reporting everyone back except we add Colliton.

I actually like this and think it’s both good for morale and makes sense. Let’s have the maximum of continuity with a major change at the top.

I am reminded of the army in the Second World War where certain general officers were known for taking their own staff officers everywhere with them. (Douglas MacArthur). Yet two of the most brilliant commanders absolutely went against this trend. Chester Nimitz, taking over at Pearl Harbor shortly after the disaster surprised everyone by showing faith in his predecessors staff. It was one of the first things done to restore confidence and self confidence and is thought to have been a supremely important move. Likewise, Sir William Slim upon taking control of Burma Corps during its desperate retreat from Rangoon and over the foothills back to India did the same thing, with the same results.

Personal loyalty counts for a lot in hockey too. There are relationships in place here between players and coaches. I trust Keefe to coach the coaches.

Except assistant coach Green won't be back. Thats a big omission.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

it’s not like he doesn’t have a track record. His first few years in the league he posted very solid numbers. If the alternative is 10th in a deal for a goalie turning 35 in the middle of the season, I’ll just hope Khakonen finds consistency.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
☹ ...Captain, how are we to know what reasonable value he can provide if he's never played a game here? I'm asking for clarity on your statement "reasonable value." Some might argue there is more value in a known risk (Markstrom) than an unknown risk (#10 overall pick).

I like Markstrom by the way
I just had a whole long post and my page refreshed and deleted it which is very annoying.

But I’m talking about the reasonable value we can expect. Basically how you would look at any trade. What are the possible outcomes and how likely are they. It’s not that likely he’ll be our messiah in net because he’s just not that good. He could be solid and there’s also a chance he sucks for us. He’s a good but not great goalie who’s had some down seasons, some injuries and is pretty old now and close to retirement.

Either way it’ll be a short-term relationship and it’s not worth giving up the 10th overall pick and potentially an impactful player for the next decade plus for a maybe solution in goal for the next 2 years.
Obviously no guarantee the pick turns out but it isn’t any less likely that Markstrom doesn’t solve our goaltending, and then is gone in two years.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The value in a top 10 pick is with the cap savings from the ELC. Just look at NFL at how they value draft picks because of the cheaper contracts. Star NFL players get traded for 3rd and 4th round picks.

Every other league does salary based on the draft pick except the NHL, where all the players are limited to near minimum salary.

The top picks are incredibly valuable. Thats why they never get traded.

I saw someone mention Askarov and why he's still just as valuable as when he was picked #11. He's less valuable because he only has 1 more year left on his ELC. The Devils should be bringing in the absolute best goalies for that pick.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The value in a top 10 pick is with the cap savings from the ELC. Just look at NFL at how they value draft picks because of the cheaper contracts. Star NFL players get traded for 3rd and 4th round picks.

Every other league does salary based on the draft pick except the NHL, where all the players are limited to near minimum salary.

The top picks are incredibly valuable. Thats why they never get traded.

I saw someone mention Askarov and why he's still just as valuable as when he was picked #11. He's less valuable because he only has 1 more year left on his ELC. The Devils should be bringing in the absolute best goalies for that pick.

I agree, except when it comes to goalies. Of course there's always exceptions, but I they generally don't hit their stride till they're older, so they're typically out of their ELCs by the time they become anything of use, plus you have a clearer picture of how good they're going to be.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I agree, except when it comes to goalies. Of course there's always exceptions, but I they generally don't hit their stride till they're older, so they're typically out of their ELCs by the time they become anything of use, plus you have a clearer picture of how good they're going to be.

Thats mainly true for non-first round picks. Vasilevskiy was a backup his first 2 years of ELC and a starter on year 3. Knight had almost 60 games throughout his ELC. Oettinger was a starter his third year of ELC. Even Samsonov put up 2 years of solid backup work before his game fell apart.

Askarov has played 3 NHL games.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Thats mainly true for non-first round picks. Vasilevskiy was a backup his first 2 years of ELC and a starter on year 3. Knight had almost 60 games throughout his ELC. Oettinger was a starter his third year of ELC. Even Samsonov put up 2 years of solid backup work before his game fell apart.

Askarov has played 3 NHL games.
Askarov has put up solid AHL numbers, but as you say has not proven himself even a little at the NHL level.

That to me is the problem, we don't know if he can handle even a moderate NHL workload, the ELC is whatever. The team still owns his rights and goalies don't get paid a ton on that first deal. If he has a good year playing 30-35 games, whoever holds his rights will be happy to sign him to an Oettinger type contract. If he has a meh year, he get's less then that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad